9 dead in ‘hate crime’ shooting at historic African American church in Charleston

by pronomono 21 Replies latest social current

• pronomono
    pronomono

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/06/17/white-gunman-sought-in-shooting-at-historic-charleston-african-ame-church/

This is such a shame. I've always thought about things like this happening because of how crazy some people are, especially in regards to religion. I could easily see how this could happen in a JW Hall with the mental anguish and turmoil from shunning and strained family relations, especially when the person already has a mental illness.

I realize that this is most likely a racially motivated hate crime, so it's a little different than the above scenario. Anyways, my heart goes out to the families that have lost. They went to church to find peace and security in their God, but he did not protect them. Sadly, the families will be turning to God for comfort thinking this must have been part of God's will to get a few more angels.

• Billyblobber
    Billyblobber
    When will community leaders speak out against this type of violence so that things like this stop happening?
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Such an aweful thing. May that asshole be hung by a yard arm. I hope they kill him 9 times, each more painful than the one before.

I also dislike the "hate crime" designation. When is murder ,not acidental manslaughter but murder, ever NOT a hate crime????

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

This is absolutely disgusting. Hopefully the guy who did this will be caught and brought to justice.

Does South Carolina have the death penalty? I hope it does.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    Very, very sad.
  • flipper
    flipper
    This is a horrific crime, terribly sad. When is America going to wake up to the fact that prejudice and racial hatred is alive and happening still after all these years and something NEEDS to be done about curtailing and preventing it ? Either by more education in school systems or churches . And when is America going to wake up to the fact that yes- we may have the right to bear arms - but does that include bat shit crazy mentally insane people ? In my opinion, no it does NOT. So many random shootings killing multiple people have occurred over the last 15 to 20 years you would think we are living in a f&cking war zone. All over the United States. This crime last night saddens me deeply but it pisses me off like hell
  • Billyblobber
    Billyblobber
    http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/police-release-photos-of-suspected-charleston-terrorist/

"A survivor told reporters that the gunman reloaded five times during the massacre and ignored the pleas of one man to reconsider killing the worshipers.

“You rape our women and you’re taking over our country — and you have to go,” the terrorist said, according to a survivor."

• marmot
    marmot
    I'm glad at least SOME news outlets are labelling this as an act of terrorism. If it was a muslim shooter the whole damn city would be on lockdown.
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    When is America going to wake up to the fact that prejudice and racial hatred is alive and happening still after all these years and something NEEDS to be done about curtailing and preventing it? Either by more education in school systems or churches.

I think Americans are aware there is racial prejudice and racial hatred, and that it cuts in multiple directions and by individuals of every race. What to do about it is the question. When we see leaders (of any race!) making excuses for racist behavior by someone (of any race!) it does not help anyone, and arguably hurts everyone. When we see leaders (of any race!) minimize or overlook bad primary behavior by emphasizing secondary racial behaviors it flames racial divides and ends up making racial problems worse.

We need more leadership. At the end of the day resolving racial prejudice and hatred will likely find resolution the way most societal woes are ultimately tamed. It will be left to slowly find whatever equilibrium it ultimately finds the result of people getting tired of suffering it causes and taking individual steps toward resolution.

And when is America going to wake up to the fact that yes- we may have the right to bear arms - but does that include bat shit crazy mentally insane people ? In my opinion, no it does NOT. So many random shootings killing multiple people have occurred over the last 15 to 20 years you would think we are living in a f&cking war zone. All over the United States. This crime last night saddens me deeply but it pisses me off like hell.

I believe in a citizen's right to have firearms. I also believe in a citizen's right to drive an automobile. My opinion is that in each case a citizen should have to demonstrate competency and be licensed accordingly. Having a license is not removing a right; it's protecting the citizenry.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Should we expect this to turn into a yet another racial debate....?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit