UK WT Ordered To Pay Six Figure Sum For Failure To Protect From Child Abuse

by Joe Grundy 12 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Joe Grundy
  • dunlin_alpha
    dunlin_alpha

I've just seen this on the BBC site - about time the UK woke up to the fact that this is happening here too. (not that most of the rank and file will be aware of the issues in the US)

DA

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy
    "

A woman who claimed Jehovah's Witness elders failed to protect her from sex abuse carried out by a convicted paedophile has won a six-figure payout.

The woman, now in her 20s, alleges she was abused as a child in Loughborough by ministerial servant Peter Stewart.

She had argued at London's High Court that he used his role to abuse her and the elders did not act to stop it.

The organisation was found liable for failing to take action after Stewart admitted to abusing another child.

It is the first civil case in the UK of historical sexual abuse brought against the Christian-based religious movement.

The organisation has said it will review the judgment."

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    The organisation has said it will review the judgment.

I wonder how? Deny everything?

I wonder how many of the R&F, if they see this, will think it's the work of satan...even though the filthy pervert admitted his crime?

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    thanks, shared on my FB wall and on the UK/EXJW group, I have active JW's who lurk on my wall, everyone that is in the news I post it
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

The sheep are going to start bleating about the use of their fleece!

Let's see if the minions in Mill Hill are instructed to appeal, or just accept it and hope it passes by.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy
    BBC story now updated (same link as above) including comments by the victim. Worth reading for her comments - and those of the judge.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

Kathleen Hallisey, lawyer at AO Advocates, said: "This should be a wake-up call to the Jehovah's Witness organisation that they need to implement better child safeguarding policies that are in line with modern day knowledge about child safeguarding and sexual abuse.

"And I also hope that it's a wake-up call to members of the organisation that child sexual abuse is a problem within the organisation and it's something that they need to do something about."

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Punkofnice=With regard to "review the judgement". I think they have come to realise now that there is also the court of public opinion. Sure they could drag it through court, and play hard ball. But is this really how they want to be viewed by the public, and their members. I think it may be cheaper in the long term to pay the victim out, than to have all their dirty laundry aired in court.This article reminded me of a you tube video by Louise Good who tried to get them to send a copy of their safe guarding policies. The branch refused to send it and the local elders didn't even know the document existed. I guess it goes to show how far they have come.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Yes, Joe. Louise has done stirling work in this area....and all that palarver with LEH or whatever he was hiding as. Proud to have Louise on my FB friend list.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit