Ozzie's Weekend Poll #13

by ozziepost 11 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Yes, it's number 13 in a series of weekend polls designed to brighten your day on a lazy Sunday afternoon!

This weekend's poll topic invites us to do some market research!

The question is prompted by the recently published findings of the National Church Life Survey (Australia) conducted in 2001. All church attenders were asked their highest educational qualification. The findings were: Primary school 7%, Secondary school 48%, Trade certificate 9%, Diploma or associate diploma 13%, University degree 14%, and Post graduate degree or diploma 9%.

What is the situation in your congregation?

So, this weekend's poll question is:

To the best of your knowledge, what would be the results in your congregation if they were asked "what is your highest educational qualification"?

Primary school _____________%

Secondary school ______________%

Trade certificate ______________%

Diploma or associate diploma ____________%

University degree _____________%

Post graduate degee or diploma ______________%

Enjoy !!!

If you would like to view previous polls and their findings, check out these threads:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=32639&site=3

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=32717&site=3

Editor's message for Rosalyn of Canada: The Writing Department have advised that the poll question that you suggested last week is to be used in an upcoming poll. Owing to the topicality of today's poll, your question has been "held over" until next week.

Cheers, Ozzie

Edited by - ozziepost on 28 July 2002 9:7:38

• Matty
    Matty

I know my congregation pretty well, and from the people I personally know, which is about two-thirds, the results would be, give or take a few percent:

Primary school 0%
    Secondary school 45%
    Trade certificate 30%
    Diploma or associate diploma 10%
    University degree 10%
    Post graduate degee or diploma 5%

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Primary school 0%

Secondary school 60%

Trade certificate 35%

Diploma or associate diploma 5%

University degree 0%

Post graduate degee or diploma 0%

That is to the best of my knowledge. I was the only one going to college in my congregation, but I haven't finished yet, so the percentage reads 0%

Viv.

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

I really couldn't remember. Of all the hundreds of JW I knew, I can only think of about two or three with Postgrad quals (ie: <0.5%) - none in my congo. Very few had degrees, the only one in my cong was a teacher who worked as a painter. Many of the men had trade quals, but that varied between congos. To the best of my memory and knowledge, <2% had degrees (ie: less than 2 in each Congo of 100), maybe 30% had trade or other vocational quals, the remainder secondary school only.

While it's a bit churlish to imply that JW are dumb or under-achievers or are predominantly part of lower socio-economic grouping or whatever, it's interesting to note where people are at in the big picture of things. Religion is a big part of people's identity and it's probably legitimate to hypothosise that people's religious identity will be reflected in key indicators of their work, education, political leaning (even neutrals usually have a leaning).

The point is: If you don't fit into the 'mold', you may not fit in to the group.

On that note, a survey qustion I though was interesting I found intersting found little variation between US, NZ and Aust responses to the question: "Obedience and respect for authority are the most important virtues children should learn". Source: http://www.roymorgan.com.au/polls/2001/3414/index.html

While a majority of the general community said 'Yes', demographics that answered overwhelmingly 'YES!!!' (>60%) included those with =< Secondary school education only, people with low incomes and people who voted for conservitive and further right parties (and I can only presume a massive majority of JWs).

Demographics that gave a strong 'NO!' (>60%) had university education, had high incomes and voted for the Greens or other leftish Progressive parties.

I clearly and comfortably fall into the latter demographic (have 1 degree, working on the 2nd; higher than average income (at last!) and member of a progressive party (Australian Democrats). Maybe that's an indicator that I never fitted into the JW's.

In fact it could be said I was Divergent to the Max.

Cheers

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

Ozzie, I'm not sure since being a newbie what this means. I've been away from the Jw's for over 30 years. If it's "education" your interested in then I'll say mine came as a result of being thrown into a world of "wordly" folk that we were told had nothing but evil to offer. I'm a street person for lack of a better word. This may not fit into your poll, but I'm not sure what else could be said, personally.

I don't know about those who I might as a teenager have associated with at the KH...many seemed highly educated by even today's standards. Hell, my brother-in-law, the elder, worked for the friggen government. All I really do know is my own experience..from a suicidal preteen, to someone who came up the ranks of "socially acceptable" because I was willing to learn.

No, I don't believe "education" for education sake means a good god-damn when it comes to being sucked into any such mind control. Since I'm new here don't really understand what your continual posts are about...maybe I'll just keep reading and learn something.

Still wiping tears from another post.

Granny

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    In fact it could be said I was Divergent to the Max.

"It could be"? Max, old son, there's no could about it!! For someone who votes Democrat, it's a certainty!

BTW Mrs Ozzie's a Democrat too!

Cheers, Ozzie

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Well Oz, Id happily partake in your survey, but the fact is, I wouldnt have a clue as to the education level of the members of my congo.

I only know my own level. Form 3. Left school at 15 to earn money for the family to help support my brothers pioneering efforts.

• Simon
    Simon

hmmn ... I remember people going to university and getting degrees etc... (one friend of my sister in our hall is now a barrister!) but anyone I can think of who was clever enough to do this was clever enough to see through things and leave.

• rosalyn
    rosalyn

I feel so honoured that my request is being looked into. I have confidence that your writing department won't keep me waiting forever. I will try not to miss it.

Have to give some thought to your latest poll but for right now I have to go finish picking raspberries. If I had a better education and a better paying job I could hire someone to go get those berries for me. No wait, I would probably still want to do it for myself....It's calming and the birds love to talk to me. And the three dogs at the farm I go to keep me company. But I would hire someone in a minute to dynamite those bathrooms of mine.

rosalyn

p.s. I really love the employment I have now. Just need full time and I would be laughing all the way to the bank and on my way there stop to employ someone to wash my windows. Do ya think any of the well trained janitorial JW pioneers would set foot in my house to do the domestic stuff? I could disguise my true apostate identity.

r.

• rosalyn
    rosalyn

The school system here in Canada is abit different but here goes

Primary school grade 1-8------------------------98%

Secondary 9-12 or 13------------- 45%

College (trade certificate)----------------------------------- 5%

University----------------------------------------------------------1%

The trend seems to be changing to allowing the younger generation get college degrees but seeing that in the town I am in now many of this age group are leaving, being disfellowshipped or committing suicide.

My son who knows a few Jws from school, has played music with them at coffee houses recorded a cd with one of them as well as a cd release party. This group IN LIMBO resemble RADIO HEAD alot. Anyways the lead singer( a jw ) has a brother who has announced he is gay and promptly was disfellowshipped.

And the most distressing news that I was privy to last night. Last week another one has committed suicide. 23 years ago this boy was at my wedding and I am truly heartbroken. His older sister was my flower girl introduced herself to me in the grocery store about 4 weeks ago. She left the organization quite awhile ago. I hope she contacts me. Another boy that I babysat when he was little took his own life several years ago. I wish they could have just hung on until the light got brighter.

There are many more unpleasant situations in this congregation that is driving their young out. The four I mentioned are but a few.

So I don't imagine their college numbers will be growing anytime soon.

rosalyn

Edited by - rosalyn on 30 July 2002 17:7:36

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit