Religious freedom is being denied!

by tyydyy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

I'm sure someone else has already thought of this but I wanted to see what discussion came from this.

I was raised as a JW and left at the age of 35. I still do the dance to keep from being disfellowshiped so that I don't lose all contact with my family. The thought just came to me that as I went through my life my religious freedom was being denied by coersion. Even after I left home, I was constantly reminded that if I studied other religions that I would be expelled from the congregation and my family members who were JWs would not be allowed to even say a greeting to me.

Would this qualify as a denial of my constitutional right to religious freedom? Isn't this a basic human right? Has anyone tried to address this in a courtroom? Does anyone else feel the same way?

TimB

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

tyydyy,

I feel the same as you. I have used the fundamental human right to freedom of religion and worship and the right to change one's religion with my parents. Since they expressed the view (from the Awake) of supporting these rights, I used it to my advantage with some success. More recently, I have pushed the envelope by being highly critical of the Watchtower's policies on child abuse and the absurd doctrine on partial blood banning; maybe a little too far.

I don't know if anyone has challenged the Watchtower, but to me, a religion that uses leadership enforced public shunning of ex-members who choose a different belief system is violating basic human rights. It only shows how hypocritical the Watchtower cult is.

Thirdson

• Crystal
    Crystal

Its not any different than say... the Mafia..telling you "If you don't do what we tell you to..you will never get to see your family again." Believe me I have thought of this time and time again due to the fact that i have "lost" many loved ones.

• amac
    amac

No, this is not a legal issue. There are no laws that require people to say hello and associate with others despite their religion. It is a JW's constitutional right to NOT associate with DFed ones, just as it is your constitutional right to pursue another religion and they can't stop you. Besides, this country is based on coercion.

A moral, ethical and religous issue? Yes. A legal issue? No.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

Well, technically if you are inactive ( not attending the meetings ), no matter what you do, you are not going to be DF'd. The rest is up to the family and friends who are JWs. Then again I'm sure they are going to be "counseled". ;-p

You must be going through a lot of emotional ups and downs. Been there and done that. I just came out. And I'm making new friends.

As far as religious freedom, you have to remember that you are living in a coutry that allows the freedom of religion. So it is all up to you.

Edited by - sunshineToo on 26 July 2002 0:31:54

• JanH
    JanH

Freedom of religion generally means the state should not force you to practice (or not practice) a specific form of religion. Once you have known a religion, you have to abide by its rules. Only if those rules directly violate laws (e.g. sexual abuse) can the religious organization be in conflict with the law.

Personally, I feel "freedom of religion" is taken too far. There are laws stictly governing business ethics (often violated, of course, but it may be penalized). Why should not religious organizations be subject to the same sort of restrictions as businesses? Heck, a business is about making a living for yourself and your family and possibly many others, and making products other people wants to obtain. It is at least useful, which is more than you can say about most religious activities.

A good start would be to tax religions. Until that happens, it will be futile to ask religons to actually be ethical as well

- Jan

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Amen, brother JanH. Religous organizations are already involved in politics over here in the U.S. they may as well be taxed.

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

The issue of "full disclosure"has yet to be aired in courts. To date it is incumbent on the convert to dig out all the subtlties and issues before becoming a member. This rule is outdated by the modern use of psychological techniques to lure unsuspecting members into the fold. Some day it will become clear that people are being hurt by religious organizations like the WTBTS and such organizations will be required to make "full disclosure" of lost or pending law suits so that a potential convert can make an informed choice apart from coersive techniques. Just think what you might have done if the WTBTS was required, bylaw, to inform you that.... "By becoming one of Jehovah's Witnesses you will be required to give up the following Civil and Human Rights: etc. Please see the following pending cases involving the loss of the aformentioned rights; etc "

• BugParadise
    BugParadise
    Would this qualify as a denial of my constitutional right to religious freedom? Isn't this a basic human right? Has anyone tried to address this in a courtroom? Does anyone else feel the same way?

It sure does! That is why it is so ironic (moronic as in Oxy) to see the Watchtower in the courts under the guise of freedom ~ The very freedoms they deny their own members! How can they say they fight for freedom of speech for example, while denying the members the very same freedoms? Something smacks of Orwell and I think that about sums it up.

~Bugs

• Bang
    Bang

Even businesses aren't not allowed to make incorrect and misleading advertisement (lies), to influence whether or not you take your business there. Doesn't that void a contract and leave the perpetrator exposed to coughing up for damages and/or expenses?

Bang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit