John 21:23 a new argument for JW's regarding false prophecy promoted being OK

by ILoveTTATT2 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Good points listed already. Here's a couple of points I've used:

• (Let's say I still think the bible is relevant.) The Bible contains many cautionary tales of the errors that MEN have made. Here the disciples jumped to a wrong conclusion. In 2 Kings 22:20, a "true prophet" told Josiah that he would be gathered to his "own graveyard in peace". But he didn't die in peace, he died in a war with Egypt. Another example that comes quickly to mind is the lying prophet from Bethel. So are we to conclude when someone claims to predict the future? They will be wrong. And from some of these examples, following these people can kill us.
    • (More accurately, since I don't think the bible is relevant.) Oh, so you're saying that Jesus inspired false prophecy among his disciples? Is this your plan to build my confidence in the bible by pointing out how it is chock full of errors? And that I should have confidence in the false prophecies of WT because the bible also has false prophecies?
  • jhine
    jhine

Yes it is clear from the reading that some brothers misunderstood what was said and John put this right . As pointed out already this was a genuine mistake made by some followers which was corrected by the leaders and no mention is made of any punishment .

The point made by Billy is spot on , how are they giving anyone confidence in the Bible by saying that misleading statements are deliberately made ?

Jan

• TheListener
    TheListener
    Didn't all this occur before the outpouring of the holy spirit? If so, they weren't spirit directed yet; as the WTS claims to be.
  • Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    i could be wrong but it seems quite different to me.
    I understood that our preaching work of the good news was necessary for our salvation as we support those commissioned to do this specific work. ( Ezekiel 24:24, Romans 10, Matt 24:14, Matt 25:45)
    Watchtower June 1 1968 page 331
    On the Joyful March to Mankind’s Millennium
    Arguing against a literal future millennial fule by Christ, some have claimed that such a teaching would chill the missionary ardour of Christians to make disciples of all nations. (Matt. 28:19,20) But not so! Today no people are more zealous in carrying out this missionary commission than are the Christian witnesses of Jehovah, who believe that the 1,000-year reign of Christ is literal and future. In comparatively few years these have grown to more than a million. Today they are carrying out this commission in 197 lands and islands of the sea and that in 169 languages. Last year they devoted 184 million hours to this work!
    And no wonder. What good news they have to tell the people! They proclaim the good news that the millennial rule of Christ will begin with this generation and that it will mean ever so many blessings for the people :..
    As I believe this was part of the good news, gospel that we preached it needed to be true. I don't think that what was thought about John was part of the good news that was preached or something that was believed your life depended on preaching. That's my view.
  • notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

You cannot compare the GB/FDS to the Apostles...they were not Jehoovers spokesperson...Jesus was.

The GB/FDS getting things wrong is akin to Jesus teaching wrong things...and he never changed his teachings.

The Apostles getting things wrong is akin to dubs, normal sheep, a normal JW getting it wrong as that is what the Apostles were, just sheep, when Jebus walked the earth*

* if he ever did (IMO)

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

My reply to JWs would be:

According to Br. Splane's recent Morning Worship comments the Slave did not exist 1900 years ago in the first century. It is only in the last century that the Faithful and Discreet Slave came into being and therefore first century misunderstandings which occurred then should not occur now when Christ's Faithful and Discreet Slave is at last among us.

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Thank you very, very much everyone!

You all are AWESOME!! =)

I answered very much like the responses to this post, and that person never came back. Complete knockout!

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    I've always wondered.. who was the apostle that they expected would die. It wasn't Judas was he?
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    There is no biblical record of any teaching ever being imposed upon the early Christians by the Apostles or church leaders acting in their stead that later on had to be changed because the teaching was false. Not even one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit