Story: Sound Dept. (at Assembly)

by Jim_TX 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

When I was a JW - many moons ago, I hung around the 'Sound Department' at Assemblies.

They finally put me to work - and let me do things like string wire for speakers, install speakers, etc.

I eventually learned how to adjust the amplifiers for proper volume, too.

Good experience and training, that I don't use to this day.

Anyway - I also was allowed to adjust the microphones for the 'speaker' who would be giving the next talk.

This usually involved following the feller out to the podium, and raising, or lowering the microphone to the proper height fer picking up the words from the fellers' mouth.

Some required very little adjustment, whilst others required major raising - or lowering.

This one time, I recall going out there, and they had used a NEW microphone stand - one that had a ring, or collar arrangement that you just squeezed, or rotated and lifted, to move the microphone up or down, as opposed to the older type that required one to unscrew a locking collar, and then raise or lower the microphone.

I had not tested this previously - and only seen others work it, but it looked easy enough.

So, I follow this 'big-wig' out there, stand there, grab the upper section of the microphone stand with one hand, and then with the other I am attempting to <grunt> <grunt> get it... to ... release.

It wouldn't budge!!! (It was cause I didn't know the 'secret' on how to get it to release.)

I was there, for what seemed like an eternity, trying to work this thing, then finally reached up and adjusted the horizontal arm - in a vain attempt to adjust the mic (it also refused to cooperate, and I think I only adjusted the microphone a total of 1/8").

The 'big-wig' speaker musta noticed my total and complete embarrassment (I usually turned beet-red in the face), and nodded that it was adjusted properly - so he could git on with his part.

I skeedadled off that stage - and made a mental note to figure out how to adjust that new type of microphone stand - later.

Sheesh!!!

In retrospect - it was funnier than heck. At the time - I was mortified.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Crystal
    Crystal

That is so funny!!! I would love to hear simular stories.The closes thing to embarrassing myself was when my friend and I would get the giggles.We probably would have rolled on the floor laughing if we had seen your antics.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

LOL

I am sorry but I wish I'd been there....

• joelbear
    joelbear

I hated it when the speaker would completely readjust the microphone after I had just adjusted it.

The job didn't pay very well either.

• ve9gra
    ve9gra

LOL I can so see it in my mind!!!

Yea I wasn't allowed to do that stuff because I wasn't "good enough". Yet when the system blew up, who did they come begging to try to figure out what was wrong with it?? Dang fools can't even splice an XLR properly!

Also funny thing that I own a full sound tech equipment but wasn't allowed to adjust the volume (aka: push the play button at song time).

• SYN
    SYN

Question: How do you know that you're in a mind-controlled Cult?

Answer: Pressing buttons on an amplifier and adjusting microphones are PRIVILEDGES.

• City Fan
    City Fan

When I worked on sound I used to have to get to the hall 10 minutes early just to sort through and rewind the tapes for the kingdom 'melodies' to be mumbled that night by the congregation.

One particular Thursday night I was quite tired after a long day at work. I thought I'd sorted the tapes but I'd messed them up. When it got to the middle of the meeting the brother announced 'and now song no. blah blah...' . I pressed play, people started singing and then stopped. Then everybody looked round at me throwing tapes around trying to find the right one. I found it but it needed rewinding. It had almost rewound when a couple of old codgers at the front decided they knew the tune and started to sing it anyway, at which point everybody joined in. Just 5 more seconds and they would have had that beautiful accompanying music!

I got my own back on one of the old codgers though. From then on everytime I was on sound and he answered I used to flick the sound off and on while he spoke. (anyone from Britain think 'Norman Collier'). He was a bit deaf and I don't think he ever realised what I was doing.

I could also generate feedback with the flick of a switch. If the audience was wilting during the Watchtower a quick blast from the speakers would invigorate them.

• TR
    TR

LOL, Jim!

Once I was called upon to start the music to a memorial at the Hall. It was a new system with equalizer and all kinds of cool gadgets. BUTT! There was this little tiny microscopic black button that had to be pushed to switch between music and mics. Obviously, I didn't know that. The regular sound geek wasn't there, so I was called upon. The announcer said that we'd be singing song number (insert crappy 'hovah song here), and that was my cue. I pushed the play button, and ......no sound. Quickly, I checked the volumn, then the power, then I check to see if the tape was moving...it was. Hmmm...what to do.....look up briefly to see if anyone is staring..... try to get attention of elder at the podium......no good. So, I said in a subdued but urgent voice," HELP!!!!" WTF? Nobody heard me? Again I said "HELP! I need help back here!" Casually, some 'hovahs started looking back at me whilst I shrugged and again said "HELP! Somebody help me start this thing!" Finally after what seemed like 5 minutes, an alternate young geek walked back to the sound booth where I was seated turning beat red, and pushed the tiny black button. I wanted to kick his ass.

I swear to 'hovah that there were no words, letters or other indicators that showed what the button was for. Just had to know what it was for. Of course the dead 'hovah whom the memorial was for wasn't looking down upon me with humor or embarrassment. How could he. He was of the earthly class.

TR

• animal
    animal

I was also a sound guy..... our funny stunt was to hand a microphone off to another soundguy.. passing them close enuff to get some major feedback thru the speakers.... then watch the dubs faces wrinkle up.....

I think I was also involved in wiring up Veterens Stadium in 70 or 71....

Animal

• In_between_days
    In_between_days

My brother who is a JW does sound at his KH and has told me that he has got into trouble a few times with the elders for purposely playing the wrong songs - he thinks it's the most amusing thing in the world to watch everyone try to sing along to the totally wrong tune. He said he plans to fake innocence, like he did'nt mean to, but when everyone turns around, he's got his hand over his mouth giggling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit