For JW's...Where in the Bible does it say...

by Wolfgirl 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• anglise
    anglise

Off course it doesnt say anywhere in the bible not to have a beard but here is the WTBTS spin on it anyway.

*** w73 3/1 136-41 Rights or Duties-Which? ***

Rights or DutiesWhich?

Extreme hair styles can easily lead one into a trap of the Devil also, and cause others to stumble. For example, a young man in the United States was making fine progress in his study of the Bible, and he was moved to share with an experienced Witness in preaching to others about the good things he was learning from the Bible. From early youth he had let his beard grow, and since some in the business community wore beards, he felt that his wearing one in preaching to others would be acceptable generally. But in speaking to a lady he was unable to do more than introduce himself, when she said: "Im sorry, young man, I do not want to become involved in student revolt." No amount of explanation after this sufficed to clear up the misimpression. After the conversation ended with the closing of the door, he asked the experienced Witness what had happened. He was invited to consider his appearance in relation to what he claimed to be, a servant of God. Not wanting to be responsible for even one persons being stumbled so as to miss the way to everlasting life, this new Kingdom publisher shaved off his beard. Would you be willing to do the same or to make similar adjustments if your appearance gave the wrong impression in a certain community?

*** w68 5/1 286-8 Questions from Readers ***

Questions from Readers

When Jesus Christ was a man on earth, did he wear a beard?K.A., U.S.A.

Biblical evidence is the most reliable testimony to be found on this question, and a recent careful review of what it says indicates that Jesus did indeed have a beard..

Nevertheless, as already shown, it is apparent that Jesus did wear a beard, and so artistic representations of him in future Watch Tower publications will harmonize with the Scriptural evidence to that effect.

Doubtless the early Christians followed the custom of the time and locality in which they lived, with regard to the wearing of a beard. The Roman custom was beardlessness. Romans converted to Christianity would very likely continue in the Roman custom, while converts from the Jewish community would continue in the Jewish custom of wearing a beard.

Today Christian ministers, like the early Christians, are concerned with neatness and cleanness, but they strive to dress inconspicuously, so that their appearance does not in any way detract from the dignity or the effectiveness of the message they bear. (2 Cor. 6:3, 4) In recent years in many lands a beard or long hair on a man attracts immediate notice and may, in the minds of the majority, classify such a person undesirably with extremists or as rebels against society. Gods ministers want to avoid making any impression that would take attention away from their ministry or hinder anyone from listening to the truth. They know that people are watching true Christians very critically and that to a great extent they judge the entire congregation and the good news by the ministers appearance as a representative of the congregation.

In paradise restored on earth it would not be out of order if men returned to wearing beards, in perfect fashion, like Adam in Eden.

• Robert_V_Frazier
    Robert_V_Frazier

I know where the Bible says that Israelites have to wear beards. Leviticus 19:27 "Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard." So naturally, since Jehovah thus encourages beards, loyal JW's rebel against Jehovah and shave. Wouldn't want their cult contaminated by any obedience to Jehovah, after all!

Robert Frazier

Edited by - robert_v_frazier on 23 July 2002 10:25:51

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Re: the stupid skirt issue. In the August 1 Watchtower (I think that's the one) there's a paragraph that mentions that now we can't even use the guidelines of what would be considered proper business attire when dressing for meetings or service! I guess the "business casual" trend got the GB spooked. God forbid we should show up for book study in khakis and a polo shirt. As for beards, I had a friend who had a skin condition that made shaving excruciatingly painful, but he did it for years because the elders gave him grief if he didn't. And remember how many years of illustrations showed Jesus clean-shaven with a short haircut? Though my personal favorite growing up was the picture of Babylon the Great in the old, thick Revelation book. She looked like my Barbie doll and I thought she was pretty gorgeous! It amused me that the illustration in the NEXT Revelation book showed her looking rather fat and frowzy.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

I had always wanted to wear a nice pants suit at the meeting. What do you think, guys? Sisters in pants suits, don't you think they'd look more professional and serious just like the WTS wants them to look?

• minimus
    minimus

I know of a ministerial servant with a beard in Boston. The Society's view is that it is up to the local elders and "the congregation's conscience".

• Farkel
    Farkel

It all stems from Rutherford's jealousy of Russell. Members used to grow beards like Russell's after he died and in order to emulate him.

Rutherford hated not getting all the attention, so he banned beards, starting with the Bethels. After that, pictures of Jesus being clean shaven started appearing in the society's literature.

And dubs like to say that, if nothing else, Rutherford removed "creature worship" from the organization. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

If God didn't want humans to have beards, he wouldn't have given them to all the women I've dated.

It's all man-made bullshit and the Bible has nothing to do it.

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 24 July 2002 0:23:31

• minimus
    minimus

can this Rutherford "jealousy" be substantiated, or is this "apostate legend"?

• Farkel
    Farkel

: can this Rutherford "jealousy" be substantiated, or is this "apostate legend"?

William Schnell talks from first-hand experience at Bethel about it. Any children of old-timers from Bethel can verify it

Farkel

• minimus
    minimus

thanks farkel

• Bang
    Bang

Well, I guess I'M stumbled.

When someone comes to the door dressed in a 'fine' suit and says, "I'm here to explain things about Jesus to you", something inside me says, "you've gotta be fuckin kiddin me" - that is, faster than my cognition can kick in, my self knows that "I think you're attempting to fornicate and give birth to a baby goat within me".

Then I may politely and firmly say no, shut the door and not wish them well.

Bang

Edited by - Bang on 24 July 2002 22:10:13

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit