Amway, Quixtar, etc. vs. WTS

by Larry 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Larry
    Larry

Amway, Quixtar, and other Mult-Level Marketing Schemes vs. WTS.

If there is anything an ex-jw cult member would recognize, it would be another cult! I say that b/c my uncle is an 'hardcore' Quixstar member (IBO) and the more I talk to him the more similarities I see btw Quixtar and the Borg. Of course he doesn't see Quixtar being cult-like but to some one on the outside looking in the organizations mirror each other. In any event, I just wanted to know if anybody else saw the similarities and wanted to mention some of them. I going to complile a list and present it to my uncle before he gets deeper in debt and indoctrinated in the Quixtar Mind Control arena.

Thanking you in advance - Larry :)

• Cappuccino OC
    Cappuccino OC

I haven't heard of them.

But has anybody heard of "ADVOCARE" products?

It sounds to me like it's Shaklee repackaged with a new name.

They are awful & pushy salespeople. Take a look at their web sites.

Kids who are in college, work part-time selling their products & make 1,500 US dollars every two weeks in profits.

CAPP

• worldly girl
    worldly girl

Hi Larry... I too was presented with Quixtar, and although I think those schemes are a little weird, I never quite thought of it as a cult. However, if you compare the similarities, you'll see that both offer HUGE almost SURREAL rewards to its members.... while the founders of the scheme really are MILLIONAIRES.... They have people who dedicate MUCH of their time energy and money in hopes of reaching that millionair status.... Thanks for pointing that out to me.... But let me ask you, have you ever heard of a branch of CitiFinancial (formerly Citibank) that offers "financial planning" where they do offer financial planning but are more interested in "recruiting" new members? Just wondering!

WG

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

I was amazed a few months back when an uncle tried to sell me onto Amway.

The similarities are amazing:

The god of Amway is money, materialism instead of the Watchtower society

They are encouraged to meet together to encourage each other

They are told to contact all their relatives and friends with the promise of riches in the future, although it takes years to actually get them (if ever) and most never do.

Never give up because those riches are just over the horizon if you sell one more tube of toothpaste.

They are encouraged to wear suits to give that business look.

They are controlled by the IBS ( that sounds very familiar)

AMWAY and the WATCHTOWER are one and the same surely !!!!

Edited by - searchfothetruth on 22 July 2002 10:38:35

• Amazing
    Amazing

I agree with Searchforthetruth, Amway and Watchtower are one and the same, just a different marketing theme and product ... Amway sells soap and Watchtower sells magazines. Otherwise they are indistinguishable, and JWs fit well withing the Amway environment ... looking to get something for nothing.

I have not heard of Quixstar ... and don't plan on getting to know them ... I take your word for it that they are like the JWs and Amway and Shakley, and Mormons, the Communist Party, etc., etc., etc.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

I thought Amway was a cosmetic company. In 1997 my cousin and her friend visited here CA from Korea. They were using brand new Amway skincare products. It sounded like Mary Kay or maybe Avon as far as their marketing tactics.

Oh, there you go: another characteristic. They go international, too.

• TR
    TR

My brother was being preached at to get involved in Quixtar, so I went to a sales pitch at his house to show him it was bunk. The salesman(and he was damn good) made it sound like you just couldn't lose. BUTT, you had to follow the program to a "T" or it wouldn't work. Interestingly, the pitchman stressed the CONVENTIONS , TAPES, and PUBLICATIONS as part of the strategy to make it work.

The pitchman had been involved in the former company, AMWAY for several years. After the pitch, I asked the pitchman why AMWAY didn't work for him since he was still working a 9 to 5 job. No answer, of course. After the pitchman and his model, quiet, submissive, beautiful wife left, I numbered off all of the red flags that popped up for me during his long schpiel. I showed him how is was quite a bit like a cult, you know, the WTS that sucked me in for ten fucking years. My bro and his wife got started in it anyway. SIGH!

A few weeks later I asked my bro how the QUIXTAR gig was going, and he said, "what a scam, I gave it up". At least he wised up early on.

TR

• Francois
    Francois

I know several JWs who are up to their armpits in AMWAY. One brother, in Bristol, TN, is a multimillionaire. And he's a good JW, too. If you can do one cult, you can do any cult. He's got this cult business down to an art form.

f

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I knew MANY MANY witnessess that sold Amway, Shakley, Fuller Brush and I could probably think of a couple more.

In fact we still have the Amway Cook Wear My brother sold us in 1975 or 76ish. Good stuff to.

What was that syrup that came in bottles about the size of a shampoo bottle and something like one or two Table spoons would make a gallon of grape kool-ade? .

Edited by - plmkrzy on 22 July 2002 11:12:15

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

I wonder if HerbaLife is also a similar scam. I remember that there was a JW at work who tried to sell me on that. His sales pitch was: " you gotta avoid drinking milk, milk is the reason for all the clogged nostrils that you have... you gotta have HerbaLife: I used to have the same problem, now that I take HerbaLife products, I feel much better." Of course, a lady that I worked with took me aside and told me that's all BS because her sons drink a lot of milk and they don't have stuffed noses so I pretty much NOT go for that HerbaLife stuff or any of these pyramid-scams.

BTW, a common thing that all these scams say are the following:

• We are not a pyramid-scam, they are illegal
    • If this was a pyramid-scam, we would never be involved.
    • We don't deal with pyramid business.

It makes you wonder how hypocritical all these people are.

Speaking of MultiLevel Marketing, Isn't that what the WTS does?

Edited by - AjaxMan on 22 July 2002 11:39:17

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit