Apocryphal Books

by Kent 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Kent
    Kent

The Watchtower do not accept the Apocryphal books. So why do they use them to support their views?

The Back and Forth of The Watchtower

1946."Equipped for Every Good Work", 85 All Apocryphal books should be avoided

1958."Your Will Be Done One Earth", 77 1 Maccabees 1:20-64 cited as Scripture

1958."Your Will Be Done One Earth", 77 1 Maccabees 4:36-59 cited as Scripture

1958."Your Will Be Done One Earth", 77 2 Maccabees 10:1-9 cited as Scripture

1958."Your Will Be Done One Earth", 245 1 Maccabees 1:54-59 cited as Scripture

1958."Your Will Be Done One Earth", 245 2 Maccabees 6:2 cited as Scripture

1958."Your Will Be Done One Earth", 380 1&2 Maccabees listed as Scripture

• TR
    TR

I think the WTS would use serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer as a source if he said anything good about them.

TR

• aChristian
    aChristian

As I understand it, the Watchtower organization, like other Protestant sects, does not believe that the "apocryphal" books were inspired by God, at least not in the same way that they believe the other books of the Bible were. However, they do believe that some of these books contain some very valuable information, such as several greatly detailed historical accounts from the years between the time the Old Testament and New Testament were written.

The Watchtower Society also does not believe that the writings of the first century historian Josephus were inspired by God. They do, however, believe that some of his writings contain information that at times proves helpful in understanding the historical context of scripture. Thus the Society at times quotes from the writings of Josephus, in much the same way that they sometimes quote from the Apocrypha.

I normally don't defend the Watchtower organization. However, this is one of the few times I think a critisism of them may be a bit off the mark.

Edited by - aChristian on 12 March 2001 18:24:51

• Simon
    Simon

I guess they use anything when it suits them.
    BTW Kent - your site is looking v.good...'top banana' !

• waiting
    waiting

Hello aChristian,

I've read a couple of your posts - and found them centered. Nice to meet you.

I've been reading about the controversy surrounding the Dead Sea Scrolls. To my knowledge, all were from the same time period, give or take some decades. But only a few where chosen to substantiate the Bible - thus the use in quoting. The ones which didn't support the Biblical Canon as chosen by the early church fathers (predominately Catholics) - were considered of much less value - thus never quoted in support.

So, as long as the scrolls supported the Bible, it's correct to use them. If they support another thought - dismiss them. The apocryphal writings are viewed much the same way, imo.

As to the Holy Spirit of God, or a part of God, chosing the Biblical Canon which was chosen by Catholics (or forefathers of Roman Catholic Church) - there is no proof of that. That is the same argument used when the WTBTS says it has God's spirit. How do we know? Because we say so.

But it is curious that all christian churches accept these ancient Catholics theologians and their choice of books. But concepts agreed at during other famous meetings (Nicene Creed), are dismissed by the WTBTS. The WTBTS in particular picks apart the Catholic Church - but accepts completely their choice of doctrinal support - the Bible.

I've enjoyed reading about the Dead Sea Scrolls from various authorities - something that was seriously "frowned upon" as an active jw. It's nice to the freedom to read and investigate what I want to now.

Btw, I am an inactive, but in good standing jw. May I ask if you are a member of an organized Christian denomination? Have you ever been a Jehovah's Witness?

waiting

• aChristian
    aChristian

Waiting,

Thank you for your kind words.

: But it is curious that all christian churches accept these ancient Catholics theologians and their choice of books. But concepts agreed at during other famous meetings (Nicene Creed), are dismissed by the WTBTS.

I believe this is a fair critisism of the WTS but not of most Protestant denominations.

: May I ask if you are a member of an organized Christian denomination? Have you ever been a Jehovah's Witness?

I am an XJW. Baptised as a teen. Challanged by a couple I was conducting a "Bible study" with to defend several JW teachings using the Bible alone. Of course I discovered I couldn't. I was then disfellowshipped after writing to the Society with my "Who told them?" question and several others. I now attend a nondenominational Christian Church.

• JAVA
    JAVA

Kent,

You old Norwegian buzzard--nice seeing you here! Of course you know why the Tower uses apocryphal writings; it's because they ran out of "respected professors" at non-accredited universities no one ever heard of to quote. At least when they quote "Maccabees" it sounds better than Professor Nuts at Clown College in Oz.

--JAVA, counting time at the Coffee Shop

Edited by - JAVA on 13 March 2001 12:11:59

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit