The dreaded haggis

by teenyuck 12 Replies latest jw friends

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

YUCK!!! Do JW's eat this? I wonder....

The dreaded haggis Behind the scenes with our editors

By Robin McMillan (Editor, GOLF Magazine Custom Publishing)

Although a devoted fan of Golfweek, I was dumfounded by its claim in the "Interactive" section of its July 15 issue that " British Open sites offer all but haggis" (page 40). But to be fair, the writer, Darryl E. Owens, is correct. So without further ado, this wrong shall be righted.

This recipe is aptly titled "The Dreaded Haggis" and is taken from Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course. Delia has been a celebrity chef in Britain for several decades. She also is English, which means if she can stomach this stuff, then there's fighting chance you can, too. It is best served with what the Scots call mashed potatoes and turnips, or "tatties and neeps," but the truth is that the "neeps" usually are rutabagos, or "swedes." They're easy to find in the St. Andrews area. Complete the ceremony with a shot of single malt, and should be in haggis heaven.

Ingredients:
    1 sheep's stomach
    1 sheep's heart
    1 sheep's liver
    1/2 lb suet, fresh (kidney leaf fat is preferred)
    3/4 cup oatmeal
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/4 tsp cayenne
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    3/4 cup stock

Wash stomach well, rub with salt and rinse. Remove membranes and excess fat. Soak in cold salted water for several hours. Turn stomach inside out for stuffing.

Cover heart and liver with cold water, Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Chop heart and coarsely grate liver. Toast oatmeal in a skillet on top of the stove, stirring frequently, until golden. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Loosely pack mixture into stomach, about two-thirds full. Remember, oatmeal expands in cooking.

Press any air out of stomach and truss securely. Put into boiling water to cover. Simmer for 3 hours, uncovered, adding more water as needed to maintain water level. Prick stomach several times with a sharp needle when it begins to swell; this keeps the bag from bursting. Place on a hot platter, removing trussing strings. Serve with a spoon.

Now, where's that recipe for Atholl Brose.....

• ISP
    ISP

Sounds like stuff you would give your dog!

ISP

• SYN
    SYN

We had that once at the Convention. I believe they told us it was "Stew".

It was the entrails and lung bits that gave it away

• cyrano
    cyrano

Thanks for the recipe... I know what I'm having for dinner tonight!

• TruckerGB
    TruckerGB

Now the haggis hunting season is sacred to the Scots.

The three main types of haggis are,

1.The mountain haggis.This one has two legs shorter on one side so that it can run round the mountain upright,the method of hunting this one is to run round the mountain in the opposite direction and meet it head on.

2.The flying haggis,twin Bofors antiaircraft flack is recommended here,the haggis is shot down pre cooked.

3.The rutting haggis,never to be messed with!.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Hey why not? It sounds like something I'd at least have a taste of to see if I like it or not. The follow-up shot of single malt should suffice if I didn't like the haggis. Maybe a few shots to be on the safe side.

Maybe some of our friends in the UK could enlighten us on haggis.

Mike, who would appreciate some more international cuisine in Macon!

• Francois
    Francois

Well I thought you finished up a plate of Haggis with a great big piece of Spotted Dick or Toad in a Hole. Well, I did..

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

YUCK!!! Do JW's eat this? I wonder... The dreaded haggis

Haggis? JW's would eat it standing on thier head if the CO told 'em to lol. The most dangerous food i ever ate was at a convention in Thailand where they wait till the meat is well flyblown before cooking and i actually caught a little asian sister puting a cockroach in the stew (we aussies then felt the need to impose our western view of hygiene on the kitchen volunteers.)

unclebin laid low by assembly line food in a dozen countries.

ps: JW's are in 295 countries and 'll swallow anything you know

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Hey Franz-swa!

Love your stuff man, incluing that great little rant against the high-brow, nit-picking, self-inflated, weak-kneeed shallow-swimming excuses for intellectualls about these parts ROTFL!

cheers, man

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

We had to make it for a banquet at a legion in culinary arts school.It looked awful and didn`t smell any better.I never did taste it.We served it up along with many other dish`s and some people ate it.I still don`t know why...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit