Amish - JWs similiar problems

by larc 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Larc: While on business travel, I spent some time visiting an Amish colony near Lancaster, PA. I was still a JW Elder at the time and found the characteristics of Amish Shunning and other doctrines to be very eriee in comparison to JW doctrine. The details are different, but the mechanism, philosophy, and control is very similar. This, among other such incidents startled my conscience, and contributed to my growth and evetual departure from the JWs.

While at the Amish village, I noticed some fun things. Several people set up 'Fortune telling' shops and other activities near by - across the street - as an almost taunt to the Amish. One man onan adjacent farm named his road "Intercourse Way" to make a sexual taunt at the Amish.

I also noticed an Amish farmer driving a team of horses while plowing his field. He was not only keeping up with the farmer next door on his powered tractor, but was actually passing him. You could tell he was doing this in fun and a desire to prove that the Amish way works just as well.

I also bought some Amish bread, jams, and other goods at the Amish store. They are all made by Amish the old fashioned way. I took these home to my wife and kids as a treat. They all enjoyed them, but some fellow JWs who saw what I bought were not too thrilled with my making a purchase of 'Amish' products - you know - supporting false religion. - Amazing

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Amazing,

I'm LOL at your "supporting false religion"! I'd better do some quick research and find out what religious leanings, if any, the children of Sam Walton have--I don't want to support false religion or atheism by shopping at Wal-mart!

I hope you didn't stop at any yard sales on the way back. If you're not careful, you can pick up demonized items there, you know!

Ginny

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

I always caution tourist who are tempted to buy preserves and baked goods at roadside Amish stands. Remember that Amish customs vary widely between groups. Some of these people do not believe in germ theory and do not practice basic sanitation hygiene. If the hands don't appear dirty, they may not get washed after Mutter wipes her privates in der outhouse. Der gorgeous pickled beans may have been open kettle canned after being wiped off by yesterday's dishrag. The myth of the spotless Amish kitchen is the ideal, not the standard.

If you crave Amish recipe treats I strongly suggest you go to a licensed Amish bakery or restaurant. One that receives regular inspection by the local health department.

In this as in so much of life, CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

MD:

'Dem kitchen "slop buckets" shore do draw flies.

Also, be careful of the "horseshit" handshakes offered by the men, (and anything else they may have touched.)

Most people who live around Amish country know not to eat anything not prepared in a licensed/regulated facility.

Of course, that guarantees nothing. Ever been behind the scenes of any of these Chinese Buffets that are located everywhere now? You wouldn't eat in any of them if you had.

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

San Francisco:

Hello! My inlaws live in Wyomissing, right next to Sinking Spring! I lived there for about 5 months before moving back to New England with my husband and son. In fact, we get back there two or three times a year.

I like going to the Green Dragon market and seeing some Amish, and Mennonites.

What a coinky dink!!
    =)
    =)

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

David Yoder's story is so sad. But oh so familiar! I had no idea that the Amish would have such issues. But then again, people don't think that JW's have "issues" either - and we all know the truth behind THAT statement.

I guess those groups of people that look a little too perfect are the furthest from it!

Andi

• AmishDeception
    AmishDeception

I'm an XAmish and it seems you are right about the simularities.

Joe.

www.amishdeception.com

www.XAmish.com

www.deleted.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit