Resolutions to send money to society

by wannaexit 15 Replies latest jw friends

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

During the course of the year  congregations  pass a number of resolutions to send money to the branch. This year I've resolved to count all money grab endeavors. So far for the month of January there were two locally:

1. it was resolved to send the surplus of the congregation's donations. This was a tidy sum of $15.000

2. it was resolved to send $500.00 for the care of the circuit overseer's car and medical expenses.

I find this amount staggering as the area is socioeconomically weak. I can only imagine what other wealthier congregations are sending.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Our cong resolved to send $300 a month after the new arrangement was announced. Our Hall had just finished a $130K remodeling project. Everyone saw this as the biggest blessing ever. We had not send the first payment for the project and the loan was "forgiven". Never mind that we would now donate $300 for who knows how long. Not a year later, in December, another resolution was passed to up the amount to $500 a month.
  • wannaexit
    wannaexit
    $500 a month --a nice even rent cheque
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Not a year later, in December, another resolution was passed to up the amount to $500 a month.

The CO probably got on their ass for being so cheap!

Doc

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Not a year later, in December, another resolution was passed to up the amount to $500 a month.

Doc is probably correct, but the letter said to review it ANNUALLY each MAY.

• Splash
    Splash

wannaexit 2. it was resolved to send $500.00 for the care of the circuit overseer's car and medical expenses.

I thought this was paid for by the branch.

If the CO gets this each week from the congregations he visits, that's a very useful $26k salary he's got there!

Splash

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Splash said:if the CO gets this each week from the congregations he visits, that's a very useful $26k salary he's got there!

The $500.00 goes directly to the society for the CO arrangement. But it is not unrealistic to surmise that COs receive 500.00 from all the green handshakes. When I was a kid my folks always gave an envelope with money to any visiting circuit overseer and their wives and so did many in the congregation. Today I see the same thing.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious
    Our cong resolved to send $300 a month after the new arrangement was announced. Our Hall had just finished a $130K remodeling project. Everyone saw this as the biggest blessing ever. We had not send the first payment for the project and the loan was "forgiven". Never mind that we would now donate $300 for who knows how long. Not a year later, in December, another resolution was passed to up the amount to $500 a month.

That's actually not a bad deal - even at a modest interest rate, it would take 40-50 years to pay off a $130k at $500 per month.  The ones who got screwed were the congregations that have paid off or almost paid off loans and are now asked to keep paying them forever (I mean until the big A). 

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Uhmmm my congregation donates 5x that.  Forever.  They are making money hand over fist and the people its a good deal for are them
  • sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

hmm, when  a congregation is asked to support the C.O., and they send say, 300, id assume thats a one time payment, and each congregation that had the same C.O. would be asked to 'support'.

now s he moves around from circuit to circuit, every congregation is asked to pay some sort of 'donation'

to this same C.O. his wife? or does the money all go up north to the paper kingdom, and the C.O  lives off free meals and free rides in service,  and free room and board  donated by the congregations in addition [and is expected]

this money donated to the  'c.o.' would pay for car , insurence, a cell phone. and gas and health insurance? how much then excess is there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit