Can owning/reading apostate material get me DF'ed?

by PandaJ 30 Replies latest jw friends

• PandaJ
    PandaJ

Hello, first time poster, long time reader.

I was wondering just what my title asks. If I own/read/admit to apostate material, can that get me DF'ed?

I know better then to admit that I believe the apostate material to the Elders, or that I disagree with the Society's teachings, but will simply admitting to owning and reading them get me DF'ed?

Any answers or comments appreciated.

PandaJ

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Maybe/probably it depends of the Ignorance/arrogance of your elders.

• DIM
    DIM

I wouldn't think so, although if they know that you've read those books, they'll ask you if you think that it is Jehovah's organization. If you waver at all, you will pretty much get the boot.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

One word answer, YES. Most dubs try to make out that their so open minded about things but don't let that fool you, they are not open minede if they are a good dub.

Will

• rem
    rem

I was going to be DF'd for recommending certain 'apostate' books... but I DA'd at the last second. Someone basically saw my books on my Amazon wish list and recommendations list and next thing you know the elders were at my front door.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/X6NDOGH1IRIO/002-9306597-6402468

rem

• musky
    musky

Hello Panda, Welcome. Simply having and reading anti-witness literature should not get you disfellowed. Probably , your reading will cause you to either throw the books away, or you will believe there is a problem with the watchtower and make changes in your life that the elders will find out about. I have already had elders come to my house and they knew i was reading this stuff. disfellowshipping was not discussed . I think they don't like wishy washy people. Either they want total commitment or they want to see you completely gone from their sight. This is one major reason I have a problem with the watchtower. They tell us never to read apostate material. Give me a break!!! If that is not a problem right there , i don't know what is!! They are telling us we cannot examine our own religeon. Just blindly follow and Jehovah will take care of everything. musky

• ashling
    ashling

Let's put it this way. There are more 'free thinkers' in the organization than are willing to reveal themselves. And rightly so. Letting your true feelings show is the DEATH KNELL to your being accepted/tolerated by the others in the congregation. Some, who "grow up" in the JWs learn early on to conceal their intellect. I did. Still, with time, you may develop the courage to explore life on the outside less covertly. And what a world it is! Scary at times, disheartening too. But nothing is more disheartening that discovering that the people you put your trust in, who you have been taught to believe ALWAYS have only your best interests at heart, are caring for you in a CONDITIONAL WAY ONLY -- the condition being, you do and think and feel whatever the Society tells you is correct. Understand that, once you depart -- in word or deed -- from the Society's standards, you're BAD NEWS. And it is quite possible that many whom you trusted, befriended, or confided in will turn their backs on you. It's an ugly truth.

Edited by - ashling on 18 July 2002 21:45:55

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Welcome, PandaJ. From my experience, just owning and reading the material might not get you DF'd, but if you ever discussed anything you read with another, better have a pillow strapped to your butt to cushion the landing as they boot you out.

The dubs are all show and the show is no independent thought. Everything is centered around following cult rules implicitly, even as they often change. When a dub myself, if I peppered a comment from another source, such as Haley's Bible Handbook, I often received a frown along with the dry, thank you, brother.

If you want to stay a JW, then I suggest keeping the literature to yourself.

Lew W

• invisible
    invisible

Reading and/or owning 'apostate', (WT Label), litureture? Get you disfellowshipped? Quite possibly. However, the term you use, what it represents, for real.

I don't like the word disfellowshipped. It signifies to me an ending, a finale, a soul destroying word. It spells out, exclusion. This is not good. Possibly look at the option of finding out the truth about 'the trooth' and you might see, being on the side of another fence, to be quite a liberating experience.

You might just set yourself free.

A caged bird able to fly, making your own imformed choices for the first time, instead of the off pat, WT logic that denies everyone the freedom of mind, to draw their own conclusions and new life paths, whatever they may be??? .... It's your space, you, your'e personal identity that really matters here.

All I can say is, please keep your options open and I wish you well on your journeying's in life.

'Celtic' Mark

Edited, cos first time round, it didn't make sense. After thought ------>>(Did God ever wonder that too?)

Edited by - invisible on 18 July 2002 21:56:24

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Ray Franz and others were DF'ed for reading the bible.

I think the answer to your question would be a resounding YES, and the likelihood of such an outcome increases from day to day as the atrophied and ossified brains of the GB grow more and more obstinate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit