WTS Pollution! April 1 2001 WT

by ISP 11 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

Discarding of plastic objects by the thoughtless creates problems and is handily pointed out by the WTS and besides it must be a real pain to trip over plastic bottles and stuff , particularly if you’re in the countryside…………………

*** w93 2/15 3 Paradise or Garbage Dump-Which Do You Prefer? ***Crossing the spacious sand dunes bordering the seashore, he carefully picked his way through a litter of discarded bottles, cans, plastic bags, chewing-gum and candy wrappers, newspapers, and magazines. Clearly irritated, he wondered if this was the paradise he had traveled to reach.

But witnesses are different……………………

*** w93 2/15 5 Rooting Out Pollution From Heart and Mind ***What motivates Jehovah’s Witnesses to be different, while the world in general shows such little appreciation for cleanliness and order? …………..A personality characterized by love for cleanliness, order, and beauty has no room for polluting tendencies.—Colossians 3:9, 10; 2 Corinthians 7:1; Philippians 4:8; Titus 2:14………The new personality requires that Christians be pollution conscious, not wantonly polluting or disobediently ignoring antipollution laws that governments enact. It helps them to avoid adopting the throw-away, selfish, and lazy attitude that leads to littering.

And those who have ‘polluting tendencies’ are likely to be destroyed by God.

*** w93 2/15 5 Rooting Out Pollution From Heart and Mind ***Anyone who still had polluting tendencies tucked away in his heart or mind would threaten the restored paradisaic beauty of planet Earth, much to the sorrow of those who desire to maintain it. God’s decision “to bring to ruin those ruining the earth” is both righteous and loving.—Revelation 11:18; 21:8.

So we can look forward to happy days…………………

*** w93 2/15 7 Rejoice in the Clean Earth Ahead! ***A cleansed earth is bound to come, spearheaded by the greatest clean-up campaign of all times, accomplished by God’s Kingdom. All traces of pollution will be removed. Nowhere any graffiti. No more discarded bottles, cans, plastic bags, chewing-gum and candy wrappers, newspapers, and magazines to clutter any beach or paradisaic spot.
    Rejoice in the clean earth ahead!

Hey but wait a minute what’s this in the April 1,2001 WT page 18 , talking about the preaching work, we have officially blessed pollution!

“Determined to keep supplying interested ones with Bible publications, the witnesses decided to float the message downstream. They wrote letters and placed them with copies of The Watchtower and Awake! Magazines inside empty plastic bottles. They then threw the bottles into the river. This continued for four and a half years until the river was again opened to civilians.”

Yup throwing plastic bottles for four and a half years into rivers is definitely not pollution if you’re a JW - anyone else it is and you liable to have your guts spilled out in front of you at Armageddon. Well that’s life’s rollercoaster I suppose.

ISP

Edited by - ISP on 11 March 2001 17:30:22

• Prisca
    Prisca

Good pick up, ISP. Plastic bottles are only ok when the witnesses use them.

I find it surprising that they don't put the magazines online. It would save countless tonnes of paper, as well as allowing the mags to be available to those who never see the witnesses.

But they would be too logical, huh?

• logical
    logical

If they were like me then they would be in a far worse state than they are in now

• larc
    larc

Actually Prisca,

All of last year's Awake articles are on line at the official WT website. Some of the Watchtower articles are there too, but they appear to be shortened versions. I only checked out the articles on mental illness and links to earlier articles. Their advice is pretty much of the self help variety with only minor mention of professional intervention as a last resort. The only exception was anorexia where they recmmended immediate medical intervention. I guess even they can recognize that if someone is near death, they better get some help.

• Simon
    Simon

The WTB&TS's whole 'reason for being' is to sell magazines, whether its proper selling or a 'contribution' type arrangement - they make money from it. Everything is geared around this.
    Putting the magazines online would easily reach far more people with their message (esp. in closed countries) but would not bring in the cash... Even their web name is all about promoting their best-selling brand - the WatchTower.

• Simon
    Simon

BTW, great research ISP !

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Congrats ISP, this is a good one.

It's got me thinking about putting the lit online. They could say this was 'simplification', then have Service Meeting parts to instruct the R&F how to go from house to house seeking donations only. They wouldn't have to worry about the literature at all. How simple! Do you think that in 10 years time they might provide donation envelopes to hand out at the doors?

Ozzie (Simplification Overseer [sounds good, eh?])

• ICHING
    ICHING

Edited by - iching on 12 March 2001 7:59:28

• philo
    philo

Nice point you've made, ISP. If I were in the watchtower now, I would use your point to counter anyone who insisted I take WT 'counsel' too seriously.

philo

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

ISP,

That is a very telling post. To the WTS polluting the Earth is OK if it is the cause of spreading the WTS Good News.

I wondered before on a thread about how much the WTS cares about the environment and environmental law. DO WTS factories comply only with local laws or does the Brooklyn HQ set a standard for all branches based on the tightest in the World?

May be I should write to the GB about this one, eh?

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit