Richard Dawkins espouses Militant Atheism: "Mock them, Ridicule them." Attack Religious People with Insults!

by MagicMItchJensen 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Richard Dawkins is all about promoting empirical evidence, science and the pursuit of truth. That in fact was his job, to communicate modern science to the public.

He isn't promoting a personal vicious onslaught onto believers, in context he is promoting the idea of openly discussing and ridiculing silly beliefs as currently they have 'special protection' in custom and culture in most on the world.

It wouldn't be considered offensive to question and ridicule someone that wanted to be president of the USA whilst believing in unicorns or UFO's, yet Romney literally believed in magical underwear and it was considered rude to bring it up!

Bush and Blair admitted to seeking advice in prayer, whilst leading the nations in war. This should be up for debate, discussion and ridicule! If Blair or bush claimed to be seeking the advice of Thor, ....... Well you can imagine!

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

I am an atheist. And, I can say that I am angry because we are spending a lot of our energy and time in this world on imaginary sky fairies rather than solving real world problems. I get it. Believing in God/Jesus/Allah, etc. makes you feel special and gives you hope and fills you with purpose. Fantastic. Keep your fantasy but stop visiting them on everyone else. We adults have work to do and we can longer afford to indulge you. Do you get it yet?

I am still stunned that theists don't get this. There are about 7 billion people in this world, with billions of them thinking just like you - i.e. "I have the true God/Religion/Book. I am special." Do you still don't understand the absurdity of it?

On a side note, I have never had to mock or ridicule a theist. All I have to do is ask "What do you believe and why do you believe it?". The material writes itself.

• cofty
    cofty

Some of the most damning evidence against theism on this forum comes from the times when they try to explain and defend their beliefs.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Village Idiot:

I am not an athiest bu I certainly do not believe in the bible or any man concocted god, this is simply because I do not believe in magical beings or miracles. Based on the fact that geological erosion can be accurately measured by anyone with a micrometer who lets a garden hose run over a sand stone rock for 10 years, I don't need an evolutionist to tell me the Earth has been around far longer than 6000 years and I highly doubt every animal species has it's own diety defending it. Rather I would say science satisfies 99% of my questions but that missing 1% is enough to convince me that science has not quite yet found the answer that explains my nagging questions.

What are those questions? Well, here's one:

According to evolution birds are the defendants of reptiles. Driven by the need to escape predators on the ground the adapted to the air by developing wings. How does a lizard decide it's time to grow wings? Did one fall off a cliff one day and magically sprout wings? Science would clearly say no. So how many lizards tried to fly off cliffs before their subsequent generations began to show signs of wings? Surely every lizard that tried to fly failed or died trying? How did they pass on the adaptive gene process? And the ones that didnt die, how many times in their life span did they jump off "flyable" heights that genetic memory was passed on to the following generations who followed suit with the same dead end results?

believing this is the case is as bad as believing Moses parted the sea or any of the other biblical fairy tales. Any Paleontologist will admit that there are massive gaps in the fossil record which scientists have filled in with theory. What is theory? Speculation based on scientific hypothesis. It is not a fact!

I do nelieve animals adapt to circumstances and their environment like humans used to before they developed the intellectual capacity to change their environment. And I do believe in genetic memory. But until their is solid proof and a complete fossil record that can convince me otherwise, I simply cannot believe that there is a common origin of species. It always amazes me when devout evolutionists use the word "design" in their teachimg. Nature cannot design, design requires some intellectual capacity plain and simple. Decide - is it design or evolution, it cant be both!

The way an evolutionist would explain away things is no different than the way a religious person would, both place equal weight in a belief, just as I do when I look at life and am convinced that it was designed by some extraordinary capacity with an intelllect beyond our wildest imaginings. Whatever this entity is, it or they chose to furnish me with a biological mechanism which provides a sentient conscience and I believe it was for a reason. Clearly this creator meant for me to feel, communicate and have the ability to make a difference above above all other creatures on this planet.

It's because of this I belive this creator is omnipresent and attentive, why else would I be designed this way? And because I believe this creator is omnipresent I believe "it" is interested in our lives and our development as intellectual beings and for that I love this being. And for the abilty I have to trully appreciate all the beautiful and incredible things I see and experience in my life. And the fact that I will deteriorate like all matter and pass away to become matter is fine with me because I feel incredibly priveleged to have had the experience of life on this magnificent planet. Its why I'm comfortable with the finality of death and have no delusions of an after life.

But! To me this creator is interested in us and if it is ingenious enough to have designed this life, surely it must hold some degree of influence in its experiment and therefore in my gratitude I pray to it and refer to it as God for lack of a better term. And yes, I pray to it - not in the conventional way - and my prayers are almost always answered. How they are I do not believe is through any "Holy Spirit", but rather through introspect.

My point is: discounting peoples beliefs is to wag a finger at the holes anyone could fimd in your own beliefs. Rather than trying to point out the fragments by ridiculing others, why not simply discuss and offer your views with the intellect you have been afforded and thereby construct a common conduit of ideas and increase the pool of idea and afford each other the chance of higher intellectual capacity? After all, wouldnt that constitute a higher evolution of understanding?

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Not defendants of reptiles, I meant descendants of reptiles.
  • cofty
    cofty
    Driven by the need to escape predators on the ground the adapted to the air by developing wings

No they didn't. No animal ever adapted to anything ever.

I do believe animals adapt to circumstances and their environment

No they don't.

It always amazes me when devout evolutionists use the word "design" in their teaching

In biology design simply refers to the correlation between form and function. It in no way implies a designer.

The way an evolutionist would explain away things is no different than the way a religious person would, both place equal weight in a belief

I have no belief in evolution. I accept it as a fact beyond all sensible doubt based on objective evidence.

You have never read a single book that positively explains evolution have you?

Would you like me to suggest a reading list?

I could answer every one of your questions in detail if I thought you were actually interested in an answer.

I would not criticise theism unless I first really understood it in detail. Why do believers think they can critique a really complex field of science without knowing a single thing about it?

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Cofty: since your condescending attitude clearly demonstrates your superiority, please enlighten me. And Ill just ignore everything Ive ever studied.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    And Ill just ignore everything Ive ever studied.

A wise step indeed...

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Just watched the vid in the OP again.

Yes, Dawkins says mock them, ridicule them [religious people] in public. He says religion should not be off-limits.

He does not say Attack Religious People with Insults in the clip.

Just sayin'

• cofty
    cofty
    Ill just ignore everything Ive ever studied.

As far as evolution goes that should not take much effort.

Would you like me to suggest a reading list?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit