What are your careers?

by The_Bad_Seed 27 Replies latest jw friends

• The_Bad_Seed
    The_Bad_Seed

Having milled around this board for a little while, and getting to know the odd poster a tad better, one (at least I do) gets to wondering what some of you do for work...

I work installing custom hardwood flooring and ceramic tiles, with the odd WC renovation, and was going to start a career last year in avionics, but our friend Osama put my plans on the backburner, until (or if) the Canadian industry returns to normal. I am considering going to University to further my photography skills, and am currently (and very slowly) working on a pictorial book that I hope to be published by the time I am 95. Oh, and I devote 87643 hours of service to YHWH each month.

Your turn...

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

I am a spy for a large pharmaceutical company.

I participate in corporate 'Drug Wars'.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I am sales manager for a small linen supplier. I'm also looking for a new job. Eventually, I'd like to study for the ministry. Right now, I'm working on completing my Associates Degree in Business Admin., after which I hope to pursue a Bachelor's in Biblical Studies.

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

Currently I work as a secretary for the school district in my area. On the side I am working on my career in Rock Stardom.

Spice will ROCK you!!!

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

I am not personally career-minded.

I am an artist at heart and do graphic design work (freelance), but also enjoy dabbling with IT (building up PCs 'n' things). Used to work in technical support for big games company (yuk! - crappy job - as dull as dish water).

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

Im a deputy of Love

• Cappuccino OC
    Cappuccino OC

I'm a full-time mom to a beautiful 9 year old girl.

I was an administrative assistant for 8 years. Due to not having a degree I couldn't advance in my $33,000 per year job & I was at the last pay step @ City Hall.

I was encouraged by some nice & smart coworkers to further my education. They thought that I was to smart for my position & had the potential of going further in life. Indeed I was bored with my job.

I kept my job & enrolled at the local Community College. I would start work @ 7:45 am instead of 8:00 a.m. so I could have those 15 minutes & my break, additional 15, (approved by my nice boss) plus my lunch hour a total of 1 1/2 hours in order for me to take a college class during my lunch hour. I also took one night class twice a week. I did this for 30 months. I graduated from the little college with an Associate in Sciences & Arts Degree with Honors, PHI Theta kappa.

I then transfered to a 4 year university. (Yup I quit my job). I just graduated with my Bachelor's Degree. I obtained a double major in Communication Sciences Disorders (aka: Speech Language Pathology and Audiology) and SPANISH. (I was raised bilingual Spanish/English).

This fall I will start Graduate School. In 21 months I will have finished my Masters Degree & I will be A Speech Language Pathologist, Certified Clinical Clinician.

I'm really excited I hope to perform research on bilingual language adquisition. There is a demand for Speech Language Pathologists besides (teachers). In addition, there isn't even one bilingual Speech Language Patholgist in every state in the U.S.

My professor told me that I will be writing my own checks because I will be in HIGH demand due to being a bilingual professional (White collar worker)

My brother, who works for the Employment Department told me that the going rate for SLP is about $80.00 per hour at hospitals. If I set up my own clinic I can charge anywhere from $80 to 110.00 per hour for therapy.

But my goal is to work in research & start a non-profit organization where I can help children with Speech & Language problems who do not have any medical insurance or whose insurance doesn't cover it, or to those who have ran out of benefits. Usually they only cover 10 visits per year.

Cappuccino OC

PS. I'm really fortunate to always have excellent babysitters. I also spend quality time with my daughter. She is also bilingual. For example, yesterday we took a 2 hour bike ride along the beautiful bay with one of her friends.

edited for typos (twice) I must need my morning Starbucks coffee

-

Edited by - Cappuccino OC on 17 July 2002 12:0:17

Edited by - Cappuccino OC on 17 July 2002 12:1:37

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

A couple of years ago, I finally finished my Master Degree program on Music. Now I'm a pianist/piano teacher.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Project Director and Researcher for Fisheries Project on Lower Columbia River.

carmel

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

something illegal but highly lucrative. i can't talk about it.

(i think i already answered this somewhere...)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit