GAH! US Gov't = going to far!!

by Xander 15 Replies latest jw friends

• SYN
    SYN

Xander: If they were handing out prison sentences for MP3 "ownage" (LOL, there's a h4ck3r phrase! Hope I don't get arrested!), I'd probably be put in Maximum Security Isolation for 3400 years by the Judge sentencing me! With no Smurf dolls to keep me company either!

• seawolf
    seawolf

Don't even get me started!

There's the guy in Georgia that is facing 120 years in prison and a $415,000 fine for sticking RC5 on the Dekalb Technical College's computers. That's .59 cents per second they are saying it cost. What a bunch of morons. A lot of rapists and murderers get off a heckuva lot easier than that! I hope he countersues them to where those idiots are forced to live under a bridge overpass.
    http://www.freemcowen.com/index.htm

Then there's the DMCA. I tell you where to get DeCSS and I could go to jail. Nice.

Oh, and don't forget the CBDTPA(formally the SSSCA)! Here's one this nice bill will do:
    may make it impossible to:
    -Play your CDs on your desktop computer
    -Create legal copies or mp3s of the music that you own to play in your car, or listen to while you exercise
    -Create mix-CDs of music you've paid for
    http://action.eff.org/action/index.asp?step=2&item=1521

and also:
    Legal experts said on Friday that the CBDTPA regulates nearly any program, in source or object code, that runs on a PC or anything else with a microprocessor.

That's not just Windows media players and their brethren, as you might expect. The CBDTPA's sweeping definition of "any hardware or software" includes word processors, spreadsheets, operating systems, compilers, programming languages -- all the way down to humble Unix utilities like "cp" and "cat."
    http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,51274,00.html

Oh, and don't forget them wanting to clamp down on *everything* copyrighted! Here's an exceprt from the EFF article: "The MPAA proposes that every ADC be controlled by a "cop-chip" that will shut down the device if it is asked to assist in converting copyrighted material. For example, your cellphone could refuse to transmit your voice if you wandered too close to the copyrighted music coming from your stereo. is a frightening peek at Hollywood's vision of the future." Nice
    http://www.eff.org/IP/Video/HDTV/20020524_eff_bpdg_pr.html

Don't forget about UCITA either! Quote: "the right of a publisher to remotely disable your software if, in their opinion, you are in default of your contract with them -- is the single most controversial provision in the Uniform Computer Information Transaction Act (UCITA)." Nice.
    http://ww1.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayNew.pl?/foster/990816ef.htm

There's lots more but that's enough for now.
    When the computer industry goes down the crapper, I won't even know who to blame! I mean the entertainment industry already thinks EACH AND EVERYONE OF US are pirates! Don't believe me? http://www.2600.com/news/display.shtml?id=1113

while he directs it at PVR users, we all skip commercials so don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what he means.

nuff said

• Francois
    Francois

I'm totally in favor of this. You think it goes too far? I think these little piss-ant hackers go too far. There is now too much money, too much national security, too much personal information (as in identity theft), too much of everything on the internet and in computer systems NOT to have a draconian penalty such as this.

If I could get my hands on the arrogant little dipfuck who stole my credit card number and bought himself a Mustang with it, I'd kill him with my bare hands. It's way past time for something like this.

Remember the old west in the US? You could be hung for stealing a man's horse. Why? Consider all that having a horse meant to a man in the old west. It meant a man's life to steal his horse. Thus the draconian penalty. That law is no longer in effect. But it stayed in effect until it was overcome by events.

It wouldn't take but a couple of life sentences for some of these over-bright fipducks to make the bullshit stop. I'M FER IT. NOW.

Francois

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

If it passes and gets enforced like all of Clintons gun laws did, you can expect an increase in hacker computer crimes.

Lew W

• nowaytess
    nowaytess

I don't think this goes to far. Personally, it does not go far enough.

I work in a industry where on a daily basis, I have to answer several phone calls because of Indentity theft. Many of these people cry. They are innocent victims who lives are ruined in an instant. Theri level of fustration is very high. The calls just keep pouring in daily.

We are not talking about the losses to our company, retailers, credit card companies. The cost is pased on to the consumer in the price of products.

Very seldom these hacker of ID theft get caught. The damage they do is incredable.

In 1995, someone got a hold of my information. It was harder to prove who I was, not whom I was not.

How bad did it get? At the time I was on disablity. I had a tracomy in my throat.

The person gave me a job as a nurse making 30,000 a year. I never went to nursing school or had a license to practice nursing.

Dept of welfare sent me notices I was commiting welfare fraud. I was not but they did not believe me and try to have me arrested.

I went to the place where I was suppose to be employed. With a trachomy, he said, "I could never be employed at his facility having a tracmomy. I was not on his data base being employed and contacted welfare for me.

What a nightmare. My credt was almost ruined. No one would take my check etc.

Anyone who is a victim of ID fraud thinks this will not go far enough to punish these criminals.

• Xander
    Xander
    If I could get my hands on the arrogant little dipfuck who stole my credit card number and bought himself a Mustang with it, I'd kill him with my bare hands.
    I have to answer several phone calls because of Indentity theft

Yet, the sad thing is, much of 'identity theft' is done through offline means. It's MUCH easier to do and MUCH faster - MUCH more foolproof, MUCH more difficult to track back to the offender, and VASTLY less technically challenging (basically involves calling an insurance company claiming to be someone you aren't).

Ditto with credit card theft. Actually, ditto^2. Ever look at a restaurant receipt? Hey, is that your FULL CREDIT CARD NUMBER on it? Why, yes, I think it is. And, hey, look, isn't that YOUR ACTUAL SIGNATURE...uh-huh...sure looks like it.

You have any idea how easily a thief could 'clean house' just taking a stroll down one aisle of a local restaurant and picking up all the receipts before the wait staff gets them?

Trust me when I say that the hackers who are capable of stealing your identity online have much bigger fish to fry than buying themselves a new mustang.

Personally, it does not go far enough

If you honestly think that I can only assume you didn't actually read the law being passed.

Let me spell this out for you, nice and slow:

THEY CAN GET A WIRETAP ON YOU EVEN IF YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING ILLEGAL AND WITHOUT A COURT ORDER IF THEY FEEL YOU ARE "DANGEROUS".

That is SO FAR beyond 'too far' that it isn't even funny.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Ben Franklin from Poor Richard's Almanac

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit