THE CONSCIENCE OF THE CONGREGATION

by minimus 22 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Have you ever been in a congregation that seemed either very lenient or very strict? You know, the type that people will say "you can do that in your congregation???" I know of more than a few halls where ALL the elders and ministerial servants had to auxillary pioneer.I know of 1 congregation that has a m.s. who has a beard. They say "It's up to the congregation's conscience.

• Gopher
    Gopher

MInimus,

Come now! Don't you know Jehovah's people are truly united, following the same standards and nodding (with bleery eyes) in agreement, no matter where you go?

Your post is shocking. Typical apostate.

Edited by - Gopher on 16 July 2002 0:24:2

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Yet paradoxicaaly it's all part of the control mechanism of the borg.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Yes minimus...I knew people who would relocate into a different congregation because they had heard the elders were groovy LOL. As if there are any elders who are groovy - so not happening!!

Beck

• ISP
    ISP

I know a cong like that not far from me. It was good for fade aways. You can leave and no one bothers you.

ISP

• SYN
    SYN

Maybe us Apostates should start up our own cool Apostate Congregation. We could have an all-female Elder body LOL! We would be the life of the part at the Conventions, and of course, we'd bring our own "beverages" LOL! Overbeers unite!

This is a good point though. Some Halls I went to were downright naughty in the things they did - the speakers would always make all sorts of jokes from the platform, everyone was friendly etc. Then in other Halls, the Elders would be incredibly strict, and if you even thought about being light-hearted you'd be "counselled"!

• Matty
    Matty

One of the congregations I attended was populated by the most bigoted and pious body of elders you could ever imagine. They liked to compete with other congregations in the circuit in the statistics front, and they were never content unless they were top of the league.

This congregation had the most pioneers, highest average hours, most studies, highest meeting attendance etc... It was so ministry-orientated that if your hours dipped below around 15 you would find that your name would disappear from the notice board, (i.e. prayers/watchtower reading/service meeting items & demos) and if it dropped below 10 you would get privately counselled by one of the elders.

Those were the most unhappy years of my life, because I worked so hard for the truth, but I never felt that I was good enough. Jehovah would only bless me if I worked so hard I would be mentally and physically exhausted all the time. If I fell short it was because I didn't have enough faith, and my prayers weren't earnest enough. Many people I knew were forced to go to other congregations to escape the pressure. This reinforced the status of the remaining ones.

It's often the luck of the draw as far as congregations are concerned. When you join a congregation it takes a while to figure out if you "belong" there. How many people do you know go to the congregation that matches their personality rather than going to one that they are supposed to go to because they are in the territory? Half my congregation do not live in the territory, and there are many in our territory that go to other halls, generally because of a clash of personality with one of the elders. How many do you know repeatedly fail to get appointed as elders and ministerial servants in one congregation, only to move to an adjoining congregation and become what they want within a year? Also how many do you know are forced to stand down in their position, and leave to go to another congregation to get appointed again? This disunity is so common, and it was one of the reasons why I started thinking that it may not be the truth after all.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Throughout history, various other occult groups have postulated the formation and existence of a "group entity."

I wonder what scriptural basis there might be for teaching such a concept.

The congregation is a group of individuals, each with an individual conscience.

Who determines if the "group entity" or "conscience of the congregation" is a pissy little easily offended one or a self-confident and tolerant one?

To whom does one go to talk to or about "the conscience of the congregation"?

Who takes responsibility for it?

The reality, as Ozzie indicated, is that the "conscience of the congregation" is a mythical "group entity" constructed for purposes of control of the individuals in the congregation.

Next they'll be telling the gullible that they have a clay "Witness" called the "Golem" who will avenge wrongs against the congregation.

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 16 July 2002 9:13:36

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 16 July 2002 9:14:42

• mommy1
    mommy1

I went to three different congregations and it was all the same rich ones got away with more than the poor . Each one had a "Brother Drunk" "Brother Ugly Suits" "Faithful Brother or Sister long watchtower study answer" and Sister Nasty Gossip.

• minimus
    minimus

the conscience of the congregation is obviously the elders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit