Left Behind

by gravedancer 65 Replies latest jw friends

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

No that is not a description of a piece of rear-anatomy (I don't want to get booted again <g>)

Rather it is the rage now.... Please check out http://www.leftbehind.com/ and take a look. The reason I bring this up is because 3 different people I know (not XJWs) are all into this "stuff" now. I have not looked at it yet, but it looks like the start of another fear-series.

Any of you bright folks looked into this or heard of it? Any opinions?

GD

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

There was even a movie based on the books starring Kirk Cameron, the kid who used to be on Growing Pains. Its was horrible! I heard the books were good though.

• FriendlyFellaAL
    FriendlyFellaAL

Well, I'll admit that when I actually purchased my first non-JW Bible the bookstore threw in a copy of the first Left Behind book. I'd heard much about the books and decided to give it a shot. Here's my unabashed opinion:

It's pablum and propaganda...not even well-written pablum and propaganda.

Not only that, but one of the series' authors Tim LaHaye is one of the most notorious bigots you'll find on God's green earth. He and his wife have formed an organization called "Concerned Women For America" (http://www.cwfa.org). They firmly believe in "traditional" family values and all that go along with it, i.e.; no rights for homosexuals, anti-abortion, etc.

He's also responsible for the Christian lovefest over at The American Family Association (http://www.afa.net). A quick scan of the homepage for this group shows that they consider the inclusion of an HIV+ Muppet is another brick in the wall of the gay agenda or as they put it, "a homosexual ploy."

Sorry, Gravedancer...didn't mean to get off the subject. Guess I got a bit fired up.

Brian

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

FriendlyFella, you've besmirched pablum.

Edited by - SixofNine on 15 July 2002 23:37:9

• Flip
    Flip
    Any opinions?

Here's my opinion... http://www.leftbehind.com/retailers/retailers_sub.asp?loc_id=42 and revenue is tax free.

Flip

• simplesally
    simplesally

I have the book "Assassins" at work, started reading it a while ago. Its pretty good but I harldy have time to read at work!

Assassins
    Assignment: Jerusalem, Target: Antichrist

The Tribulation Force hurtles toward the four murders foretold in Scripture, as Rayford and others vie for the "privilege" of being the tool that fulfills the prophecy that the Antichrist himself is to suffer a lethal head wound. World history and prophecy collide in Jerusalem at the middle of the Tribulation for the most explosive episodes yet of the continuing drama of those left behind.

• borgfree
    borgfree
    They firmly believe in "traditional" family values and all that go along with it, i.e.; no rights for homosexuals, anti-abortion, etc.

That statement is not true. That kind of mis-representation is real propaganda.

Christians believe in rights for everyone. We do not believe in "special" rights, or extra rights, for certain people or groups of people.

I do not personally know Tim LaHaye or the others involved in the "Left Behind" series, but I am sure none of them wish harm on any person. Christians see the agenda of some groups and how they try to become "mainstream" through tactics of lies, propaganda, etc. If you are a bible believer, you know God condemns the "behavior" of people breaking His laws, He loves the person. Christians try to imitate Him.

Borgfree

• Satanus
    Satanus

borgfree

no rights for homosexuals
    God condemns the "behavior" of people breaking His laws
    Isn't it true that you believe that homosexuals are breaking gods laws, and that they don't have a right to do so? Therefore, groups like yourself would deny that homosexuals have the right to live as homosexuals? So, you don't really believe in rights for everyone?

SS

• FriendlyFellaAL
    FriendlyFellaAL

Borgfree,

I was not misrepresenting The American Family Association or The Concerned Women for America. Both organizations have been founded in part by Tim LaHaye, the co-author of the Left Behind series. The comments re: their beliefs came directly from their website. Follow the links to their sites and see for yourself what they believe in.

As with most other things, your personal application of Christianity might vary from theirs. Not trying to be argumentative, just wanted you to know where I got that information.

Brian

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

I am always leary of publications like those...whether they are JW or not. Have not read them, have no intention of reading them. Those books remind me of a movie I watched once - I can't remember the name but it was about the rapture. This kid doesn't take Jesus into their heart and then everyone starts disappearing. LOL....It reminded me of a very badly written wannabe horror flick. (BTW--it was non JW friends of mine that had me watching it). SInce that movie I was pretty much thoroughly disgusted with all christianity.

Spice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit