Born good or bad?

by larc 21 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Most religions teach that we were born bad. John Lock believed we were born as a blank slate, neither good or bad. Later, psychologists studied humans, other primates, and other mammals. I think the conclusion can be drawn, that all of creation, (1) nurtures its own, (2) protects its own against danger, (3) feels a sense of conectedness to its own. So, I have to conclude that we were born good. It is only when the natural birthing, delivery, and child rearing process is interupted, that things go wrong. Everything related to the survival of our species and the other species is built into our phsysiology. Therefore, we are born to be good, not neutral, or bad. To say that we are born bad, as the Bible says, simply says that we are imperfect. Now, that really is a revelation, don't ya think?

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Hi Larc,

I believe we are born with the potential for good, in other words innocent of bad. What we become is largely the result of the sum of all the influences in our life. From the first smile or lack of it to the extended helping hand in young adulthood or lack of it.

IW

• larc
    larc

Island Woman, I agree.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

I take my Pagan viewpoint that there is no such thing as inherent evil. When you do something bad it is a choice. The Devil didn't make you do it, it wasn't part of Gods plan, it was a choice that you made. While we are born to protect our own we have yet to find our own balance with nature. Anyone who is convinced that we're born into sin just has a self defeatist complex. The concept of sin itself is nothing more than a guilt trip.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, I was "born to be wild."

Get your motor runnin'
    Head out on the highway
    Lookin' for adventure
    And whatever comes our way
    Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
    Take the world in a love embrace
    Fire all of your guns at once
    And explode into space

I like smoke and lightning
    Heavy metal thunder
    Racin' with the wind
    And the feelin' that I'm under
    Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
    Take the world in a love embrace
    Fire all of your guns at once
    And explode into space

Like a true nature's child
    We were born, born to be wild
    We can climb so high
    I never wanna die

Born to be wild
    Born to be wild
  • Marilyn
    Marilyn

So how come some men become pedophiles? Whilst I basically believe people are products of their environment, I'm not sure how certain behavioral problems fit this picture.

Marilyn

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

So how come some men become pedophiles? Whilst I basically believe people are products of their environment, I'm not sure how certain behavioral problems fit this picture.

That is not fully known yet. Most seem to have been sexually abused themselves when they were kids while others led a perfectly normal life. Again I believe it becomes a matter of choice. Sometimes that cookie in the jar becomes more tempting because it is forbidden. Of course these guys can't refrain from what they do because they can't seem to tell the difference between fantasy and reality. Personally, I don't think they should be let go. Either keep them locked up for study or kill them.

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

::::Personally, I don't think they should be let go. Either keep them locked up for study or kill them.

One can't help wondering what type of treatment pedophiles receive in prison, besides the bleedin' obvious from fellow prisoners. I gather these men (do women do this stuff too?) genuinely believe sex with children is normal and healthy and that the kids don't mind etc. It seems to me that we have a similiar problem getting them to appreciate how wrong they are, as we do getting WT addicts to understand how screwed up they are. Like everyone else here, I've heard the stats of reforming pedophiles are terrible, but I'm wondering what the approach is to reform. I might be naive but I imagine that if you take the right approach, then you might be able to break thru their mind set? What do you think?

• FreeRangeChicken
    FreeRangeChicken

I was born bad. Very, very bad.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Nice observations, Larc.

I've always had problems with the terms "bad" and "good." They are absolutes in common usage and as such, they are subjective. I prefer the terms "DipFuck" and "non-Dipfuck" as they are not-the-least bit subjective.

For some strange reason, not everyone agrees with me...............

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit