What was your eye opening moment?
- If this didn't wake some up it should have. The 2013 cyclone that hit the Philippines. Elders told ones to meet and stay in the kingdom halls, God's house. Three kingdom halls destroyed, the last one half the congregation that was there sucked out and drowned by a storm surge. Where was Jehovah when they needed him? What a bunch of crap!
i overlooked it all... the scandals, the uneducated elders, the unbiblical time-keeping, etc... because the Watchtower predicted 1914 and no other religion did...
then I realized that they didn't predict shit... they were actually full of shit...
- Seeing the "brother" who sexually assaulted me and I reported to the elders about, walking around the assembly with his "Attendant" badge on.
- 607... not true... means 1914 not true..... means Faithful Slave in 1919 is not true... Just failed, made up, wacko numerology!
- For me it was studying the bible intensely. Specifically, learning who the FDS really was according to scripture.
It was a series of epiphanies. Sitting at a convention while the speaker heaped on the guilt. Are you regular is service? If not, why not? If you are, can you auxiliary pioneer? If not, why not? If you are an auxiliary pioneer, can you regular pioneer? If not, why not? I thought, I wonder what they say to the special pioneers to make them feel guilty? It was the first time I realized the goal was not to make you a better person, it was to make you feel guilty.
I saw something in the Kingdom ministry about the UN, and the explanation made no sense. They joined the UN? The Scarlett colored beast? For a library card? People in Malawi died because they were made to think they couldn't buy a 25 cent political card, but the WTBTS could join the UN? Right.....
Lack of love, or any connection at all to anyone in the congregation. Going to field service and realizing no one wanted to talk to us, and the JWs weren't prepared to talk to anybody anyway, they were just getting their time in. Driving aimlessly around town, for what? I thought it was a colossal waste of time.
The clincher was the realization the Watchtower was wrong when they said it was always better to preserve the marriage. I realized that was just plain lousy advice, it had not actually been better for anyone, me, my kids, my ex husband. That was the straw that broke the camel's back and made me realize that they were just people who thought they were more special than they were, they had no more idea of God's purpose than any random person on the street.
- For me i would say it was my jc.Being asked such personal questions as a 17 year old kid "Did your penis enter her vagina"?. "Was there oral sex"? "Did it bring you pleasure"? All the time my dad was in the room hearing this and crying ,at that point i was done these perverted old men would never get me in that position again.I was being used to get at my father who was a p.o at the time.I saw the power struggle that was going on in the cong.and i wanted no parts of it so yeah after seeing these brothers with there warts and all i was through.
- The flood story and praying away the gay wasn't working. And they're all batshit crazy.
The UN NGO business opened the floodgates for me. I came across the NGO status purely by chance whilst reading comments on a cringy JW meme that a Facebook friend had posted. This was just over a year ago. Within a week or two i'd come across the wonderful resource that is JWN and watched dozens of videos by Cedars, Marc & Cora aswell as others and did endless research using the CD-ROMS to back up what I had read.
I finally read COC after finding a download and by August of last year my Wife and I decided to just stop everything JW.