What was your eye opening moment?

by WasOnceBlind 75 Replies latest jw experiences

• WasOnceBlind
    WasOnceBlind

If you had to pinpoint the time or experience that finally made you open your eyes, what would it be?

I think for me it was the time I saw my dad shun his brother who he had not seen in decades just because he was a DA'ed JW. I thought to my self "no way Jesus would do that."

• Lemonp
    Lemonp

When I learned that some people genuinely believe that animals will all become vegetarian.

I couldn't fathom the stupidity to disregard every shred of information on how finely tuned the ecosystem is.

Secondly when I read up on the bans on oral sex, and how that had been enforced with NO SCRIPTURAL BACKING WHATSOEVER even DF'ing and reprovals for something that the org has absolutely no business being in.

• Driving Force
    Driving Force
    For me it was the money grabbing.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    When studying with spouse and I would raise legitimate, non-apostate fueled doubts, and questions about things like...oh.. all of genesis. And i was met with hostility. It really got me thinking about the effect of it all on my rationality and freedom to think. Then all the dominos fell
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    The misquotes in the creation book was the moment where everything flipped upside down for me.
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    Legitimately researching 607 BCE got the ball rolling for me.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

It was when I was an elder as one of the 3 on a JC. I couldn't understand how a person was given 7 days to appeal what I thought was supposed to be Jehovah's(tm) desicion.

I then began to doubt that there was anything remotely spiritual about the process.

• done4good
    done4good

Subjectively - When I left my ex-wife and realized it was the best decision ever and should have done it sooner. Somehow the whole of JW rules on sex and marriage became utter nonsense to me.

Objectively - 607/587

d4g

• TJ Brother
    TJ Brother

I have read CoC and ISCF a long time ago . For years I managed to accommodate this information and to refute it in my mind, in speeches and through texts on the Internet . But recently , the request wide-open way of donations , the intrusion into intimate aspects , the restriction to freedom of conscience, and the doctrinal speculation , have ground my belief in the good motivation of the GB members.

• notoneoftheboys
    notoneoftheboys
    For me it was when I saw the hypocrisy on the elder body, do as we say not as we do, we will behave as we please in private but if you get caught there is a committee waiting. Old Boy network.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit