What was your eye opening moment?

by WasOnceBlind 75 Replies latest jw experiences

• TJ Brother
    TJ Brother

I have read CoC and ISCF a long time ago . For years I managed to accommodate this information and to refute it in my mind, in speeches and through texts on the Internet . But recently , the request wide-open way of donations , the intrusion into intimate aspects , the restriction to freedom of conscience, and the doctrinal speculation , have ground my belief in the good motivation of the GB members.

• talesin
    talesin

When I left home to 'serve where the need was greater'. I was no longer behind my parents' protective barrier, and got to see what the 'brothers' and 'sisters' were really like. They were mostly a bunch of hypocrites - my pioneer roomies having sex with their boyfriends, elders and pioneers getting wasted on liquor. Final straw was when my friend hung himself - he was gay - because he could not live the life of a JW.

I thought "this is not the TRUTH, these people are a bunch of liars. There is no God." So, I quit it.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence
    Overlapping generations. You can't explain something that doesn't make sense.
  • antes8080
    antes8080

mine was 1000 years to beacome perfect never made since to me so people are going to see 7 billion people die in the big A and not suffer from extrem PTSD.

especially when so many suffer from mental disorders in the Cong.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    When I was trying to get out of massive debt and everyone told me that it wasn't possible and that Jehovah couldn't bless me if I wasn't going to meetings or out in service anymore. I was blessed in ways too many to relate here shortly and knocked out tens of thousands in debt in a year and a half. Then brothers and sisters tried to negate out experience because it didn't fit into their worldview. All the while we listened to Dave Ramsey and heard story after story mirroring the timely blessings that we received even though I was taught that only JWs could be blessed. I liked Dave's take on Jehovah being a loving father and questioned why any loving father would destroy his kids because they looked for him in what I was taught was the wrong place. Didn't add up to me. That started me questioning more and more of what I was led to believe.
  • tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd

I really like Dave Ramsey's financial advice. It's not always practical or possible, but it is best to live with little to no debt. In business, debt can be very useful, but personally debt makes little sense.

Hearing non-JW's experiences and blessings that were the same as the blessings that JWs always claimed also helped me wake up. It wasn't the eye-opening moment, but it started a crack.

• hardtobeme
    hardtobeme

All Christians thru the ages were fooled that Jesus died on a cross, till Rutherford figured it out he died on a "Stake".

"According to the World Christian Encyclopedia (1982), it is estimated
    that by A.D. 100 there were 1 million Christians in the Roman Empire
    out of a population of 181 million. This means that by the end of the
    first century less than 1 percent of the population (0.6% to be exact)
    was Christian." It looks like Rutherford got the 144,000 wrong too.
  • truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Finding out our daughter was molested by someone we trusted in our congregation.

I think everything that went on after that proved to us that this religion not only lie...they are also dangerous! They claim they're a loving brotherhood, when in actuality they are self serving robots for their leaders.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    In all honestly the Billions dying at armagedon never ever sat well with me... But I wouldn't say it was a wake, I would just tell myself god must know what he is doing. But that idea I could never accept.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    The final nail that got me to do research was at a DC brother Lett relating his experience as a bethelite and the fact that in the early 70's everyone there but him of course thought the end was going to be in 1975. Then I realized that they had lied about 75 when they said that it wasn't them but others like elders and CO s that were pushing that date.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit