BBC - Secret Database Protects Paedophiles

by expatbrit 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Fatal Error
    Fatal Error

Having spoken to an elder about the Panorama programme, it seems the Society have already issued a letter, most probably the same as the US one, to be read at Tuesday's bookstudy. Should be interesting whether the issue is addressed in any way at the upcoming Conventions..

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Pardon me if it has already been mentioned, or addressed.

I e-mailed BBC in the coments section asking it to be brodcast in the US.

Can anyone tell me if there is going to be a problem otherwise not being able to tune in from the US?

• silentlambs
    silentlambs

Back by popular demand, the WT whitewash of 2002,

Christian Congregation

of Jehovah's Witnesses

2528 Route 22 Phone (845) 306 1100

TO ALL CONGREGATIONS IN THE UNITED STATES

Dear Brothers:

At Psalm 144:15 we read: "Happy is the people whose God is Jehovah!" We see the truth­fulness of this inspired statement when we associate with our brothers and sisters at conventions, assemblies, and congregation meetings. We enjoy a warm atmosphere of peace while we benefit from fine spiritual encouragement from Jehovah and his organization. (Psalm 29:11) What a con­trast to those of the world who lack true spiritual guidance and a solid hope for the future! --Isaiah 65:13.

What enables us to maintain our happy spirit? For one thing, we fear Jehovah and we deeply respect the admonition in His Word, including what the Bible says on sexual matters. (1 Corinthians 6:9 ,10 ; Hebrews 13:4) At first, it was not easy for some of us to bring our lives into harmony with Jehovah's elevated standards. We had to make significant changes in our lifestyle before we could qualify for membership in Jehovah's clean, spirit-directed organization. Was it worth the effort? Absolutely! How happy we are to be living in harmony with God's righteous re­quirements!

In recent weeks, the press in this country has focused attention on the way accusations of child abuse are handled by various religious organizations. Such reports may cause some sincere individuals to ask about the procedures followed by Jehovah's Witnesses, Therefore, we believe that it will be beneficial to review with you our Bible-based position, so that you will "know how you ought to give an answer" to any who may inquire.-Colossians 4:6.

Simply stated, we abhor the sexual abuse of children and will not protect any perpetrator of such repugnant acts from the consequences of his gross sin. (Romans 12:9) We expect the elders to investigate every allegation of child abuse. Even one abused child is one too many. However, in evaluating the evidence, they must bear in mind the Bible's clear direction: "No single witness should rise up against a man respecting any error or any sin .... At the mouth of two witnesses or at the mouth of three witnesses the matter should stand good." (Deuteronomy 19:15) Later, this requirement to consider testimony of two or three witnesses was confirmed by Jesus. (Mat­thew 18:16) Thus, although they investigate every allegation, the elders in not authorized by the Scriptures to take congregational action unless there is a confession or there are two credible wit­nesses, However , if two persons are witnesses to separate incidents of the same kind of wrongdo­ing, their testimony can be deemed sufficient to take action.--l Timothy 5:19, 24, 25.

What if someone is a proven child molester? The article "Let Us Abhor What is Wicked !" published in the , issue of The Watchtower had this to say on page 29: "For the pro­tection of our children, a man known to have been a child molester does not qualify for a responsible position in the congregation. Moreover, he cannot be a pioneer or serve in any other special, full-time service." We take such decisive action because we are concerned with maintaining Bible standards and protecting our children. (1 Timothy 3:2, 9, 10) Everyone in the organization is ex-

To All Congregations in the

Page 2

pected to meet the same requirements, namely, to be clean physically, mentally, morally, and spiri­tually.-- l Corinthians 7: 1; Ephesians 4:17-19; 1 Thessalonians 2:4.

We have long instructed elders to report allegations of child abuse to the authorities where required by Law to do so, even where there is only one witness. (Romans 13:1) In any case, the el­ders know that if the victim wishes to make a report, it is his or her absolute right to do so .---- Gala­tians 6:5.

At least since 1981, articles have been published in our journals, The Watchtower and Awake ! , with a view to educating Jehovah's people and the public on the need to protect children from child abuse. Besides the above-quoted article, there was the article. "Help For the Victims of Incest," which appeared in the , Watchtower. Awake! has featured such articles as "Your Child is in Danger!" "How Can We Protect Our Children ?, " and "Prevention in the Home" (October 8, 1993) as well as "Child Molesting-Every Mother's Nightmare," in its issue.

We believe that we have a strong, Bible-based policy on child abuse. Over the years, as we have noted areas where our policy could be strengthened, we have not hesitated to follow through. At Kingdom Ministry Schools the elders receive ongoing reminders regarding this policy and related matters. And we continue to urge the elders to follow closely the procedures that we have es­tablished.

The moral cleanness of the congregation continues to be of vital concern to the "faithful and discreet slave." (Matthew 24:45) As we keep applying Scriptural principles in our lives, our hap­piness will increase. We trust that these reminders will be helpful to you as you share the Kingdom hope with right-hearted ones. We have much to look forward to in the way of spiritual refreshment as we attend the "Zealous Kingdom Proclaimers " District Conventions. What a happy prospect! Yes, there is no doubt about it: "Happy is the people whose God is Jehovah!"-Psalm 144:15.

Your brothers,

p.s.

If you do not accept this we will disfellowship you from God's "happy" people...

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

In case anyone else would like to inquire BBC about the program This is a copy of the response to my e-mail

Thank you for contacting BBC Information. We receive hundreds of e-mails every day regarding BBC programmes and services and these are extremely important to us. All comments, complaints and appreciations are registered on a daily log, which is circulated widely within the BBC. Where a further response is appropriate, we aim to reply within a few days.

Thank you for your interest in the BBC.

Regards,

Pamela Taggart
    Operations Manager, BBC Information

• professor
    professor
    "Some legal experts advise reporting the abuse to the authorities as soon as possible. In some lands the legal system may require this. But in other places the legal system may offer little hope of successful prosecution."

I can't believe I accepted this kind of double-talk as information when I was a Witness.

• Nemesis
    Nemesis

Make sure you have your say here after the programme airs:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/audiovideo/programmes/panorama/live_forums/newsid_2124000/2124808.stm

If you click on the "have your say" bit now, you will see last week's posters in regard to the Bin Laden programme, so you can get an idea of what kind of posts they will allow to go live. All I would say is don't make it too long, or use any swearing; make it to the point, and clear.

I also like the bit where they say: "You can ask our panel about the organisation, its policies and how child abuse should be dealt with in a live forum on Monday 15 July at 14:00 BST, to be shown on this page and on Digital Satellite television ." (I wonder how much of Europe can get the BBC on Sky? And also, who is on this "panel"?)

PS. Don't post any comments before the programme airs or they will not appear.

• Matty
    Matty

I still remember watching the episode of Everyman which was about couples that were of different religions. At the time I watched it I was a loyal witness, it must have been around four years ago.

I remember thinking that the programme was very shoddily done, and I took an immediate dislike to the man who was being interviewed about his wife - of course I took the wife's side. I remember a cartoon sequence that was shown during the programme that annoyed me particularly. The programme maker gave the impression that it was one of the JWs videos, when it definitely wasn't. Someone hauled them up over it with the Broadcasting Complaints Commission and the BBC had to apologise for their mistake. On reflection it was only a very small slip, but I remember being smugly self-satisfied that the complaint was upheld!

I'd like to see that show again, this time without my dub hat on!

• FriendlyFellaAL
    FriendlyFellaAL
    I can't believe I accepted this kind of double-talk as information when I was a Witness.

Not only would we accept it, but we would feel completely vindicated!

Brian

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Ahhh .... a story with legs.

Bill - you did good sir - I have been waiting for about a month for this to air.

There is still way more to come people.

Hehehehehe!!!!!

Millions more will now know the real story and become vaccinated against this most serious dangerous little cult that hurts women and children.

hawk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit