Any Scary Flying Stories Out There?

by Englishman 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Just found this pic of Madeira airport, where will hopefully be landing at the end of October. Look at the runway, its smaller than an aircraft carriers!

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I sat behind Richard and Judy on a shuttle from Manchester to London. It was terrifying.

• Angharad
    Angharad

That runway sounds like the one in Skiathos (Greece) its just like that coming into land - so scarey I hated it.

There is a beach at each end of the runway. Its so short the planes dont refuel to take off because they need to be as light as possible - you take off and fly for 15 min to the mainland to refuel. When the plane has stopped and is turning to head toward the terminal the wings over hang the beach!!!!

Edited by - angharad on 27 August 2002 10:37:56

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Well, while we're exchanging stories of exciting take-offs and landings...........

Here in Oz we have Cairns. It's the most beautiful part of the world but to get in, you have to go through the landing. Look at the mountain in the pic. The runway lies adjacent. It makes for steep bankings!!

Happy travels, Eman and HL. Weren't you going to settle there in Madeira?

Cheers, Ozzie

Edited by - ozziepost on 27 August 2002 10:57:39

• TruckerGB
    TruckerGB

Many years ago,in the days before the millstone called a mortgage,and having a lifelong love of airplanes,I decided I was going to learn to fly.

The first few lessons went fine and I loved it,however the instrutor for some reason didnt fill me with confidence,call it a gut feeling,Im not sure,but it was there.

Now I dont want to knock this instrutor too much as he was a decent sort of chap,and after I had done a few landings he suggested we fly to another airfield not far away,and do a couple of touch and go landings.

For the non air minded people, a touch and gois where you land the airplane,keep rolling and take off again straight away.

Well everything went fine,I flew the plane to the airfield(Sandown Isle of white)and as I had never landed there before the instructor suggested he make the first landing to show me the approach,as it was a fairly small grass landing strip,with trees at the far end.

As we started the landing approach,I thought this isnt right,but being the humble novice it thought it best to keep quiet.

I was right!,we came in too fast,the wheels hit the ground,there was a scream of overshootby the instrutor into the radio,we bounced back up into the air,by this time I had shut my eyes,thinkingplease god I dont wanna die,there was a thump,and on opening my eyes,saw a lump of tree hanging off the undercarriage,and the instrutor wearing a sheepish grin.

I took up sailing after that!.

p.s.Sorry about my spelling!.

Edited by - TruckerGB on 27 August 2002 16:28:56

• outnfree
    outnfree

E-MAN,

This thread should have an Safe4Kids Advisory Label as follows:

DON'T READ THIS DANA or we'll never get off the ground!!!!!!!!

out (who refuses to tell any scary flying stories because she wants Dana to come lots of fun places with her in future!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit