U K ELDER JAILED 2 YRS, TODAY

by BluesBrother 20 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

BBC Central news have reported that James Barrat , an elder in Rugby congregation has received a two year sentence for abusing two teenage boys over a ten year period.

The abuse took place at Bible studies .

The Judge called him an "Arch hypocrite". The police said he is "Extremely dangerous" and one of the victims , now in early 20's,gave an interview and said "Do not bother with the elders, go straight to the police

• silentlambs
    silentlambs

Can you spell P-A-N-O-R-A-M-A?

silentlambs

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

2 years isn't nearly enough...I used to live in Rugby.

Edited to add:

Here's the BBC story under Breaking News:

Edited by - zenpunk on 11 July 2002 14:42:5

• Satanus
    Satanus

Did he get dfd, or is he still a jw, an elder, in good standing?

SS

• Simon
    Simon

You can almost bet he'd be in good standing but anyone who complained won't be. That's the way they normally work.

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

JW or not... the guy abuses two boys over a ten-year period, and gets a measly two years?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

justice at last

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, stinks huh? And then they wonder why people don't have faith in the criminal justice system ...

• ItsJustlittleoldme
    ItsJustlittleoldme
    Yes, stinks huh? And then they wonder why people don't have faith in the criminal justice system ...

Agreed, it isn't much better on the other side of the pond, either.. But, at least the justice system did act, my guess, he's still a JW, and will be the only active JW elder in his new congregation, a UK prison.. Just think of the power he can wield in there!!!!

I would really like to find out if he's been DF'd or not!!! Maybe Silentlambs can find out for us, or maybe it will be on your Panorama show!!!! Let us on this side of the Atlantic know, will ya :-)

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

The case is over so you can now see his face.

Mr Barratt has certainly not been disfellowshipped thus far though that of course can change very quickly. I know that many Jehovah's Witnesses in Rugby are in tears tonight, most were convinced of the innocence of this charming and, seemingly, spiritual family man. I have known James Barratt for nearly 20 years (during the time he was offending) yet I never thought of him as anything other than a friendly guy.

He ran his own successful homeopathic practice [FBIH (Fellow of the British Institute of Homoeopathy); MARH (Member of the Alliance of Registered Homoeopaths); DHom (Diploma in Homoeopathy)] and still has a presence on the 'net at http://www.homoeopath.co.uk/main_frame.htm (sorry but I think it's all nuts!)

He is married to a lovely, large hearted woman and has two children, a son and daughter (not the abuse victims). This case has been creating havoc in Rugby for the past year. It has been alleged that the serious arson attack on the Kingdom Hall a few weeks ago is related but this is for the police to determine - it is still under investigation.

I said earlier "justice at last", a first response to news that seemed so long in coming. Of course, for the victims this is barely justice at all. I'm not qualified to offer any advice but I hope that the exposure and conviction of their abuser will at least assist them in the long recovery that lies ahead (if that's what it really is).

Watch Panorama on Sunday 14 July at 22:15 BST, on BBC One.

Nic'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit