Bertrand Russell and Religion

by Valis 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

Maybe some didn't get to this thread, but i thought all would enjoy the thoughts of Bertrand Russell on religion....one of my faves..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

I especially enjoyed Russells book: "Why I am not a Christian".

Most enjoyable.

Therin he stated that, as a mans personality can be affected by a deficiency of iodine in the brain, it seemed unlikely that the mind would survive the brains disintegration at death.

I thought it a most memorable reasoning, at the time.

found the quote:

we all know that memory can be obliterated by a brain injury,that a virtuous person can be rendered viscious by encephalitis lethargica,and that a clever child can be turned into an idiot by a lack of iodine. in view of such facts, it seems scarcely probable that the mind survives the destruction of brain structure that occurs at death.

Edited by - refiners fire on 11 July 2002 2:44:11

• Satanus
    Satanus

I read it on the other thread, and enjoyed it. He was a great thinker.

SS

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

..."Why I am not a Christian"....

If theology is thought necessary to virtue,and if candid inquirers see no reason to support the theology,then the authorities will set to work to discourage candid inquiry. In former centuries they achieved this by burning inquirers at the stake.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Many young people go through a phase where they seek to read books of philosophy.

I can make no better recommendation than to start with Russells "History of Western Philosophy"

A rather large book that covers all the major Western philosophers of history, explaining their ideas in layman terms. A good starting point for the curious.

• QUANTUM
    QUANTUM

Philosophy complicates, The religion of Christ simplifies........

You like complicated situations? I don't think so.....but when we're sitting on our butts (as "ALL" philosophers spend most of their time doing) It's easy to be complicated. But when we want to accomplish something in our lives we want it to be simple. So go ahead and admire the "GRTEAT" philosophers.......they could care less about you!

QUANTUM IS THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST!!!!!!

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

I've read and enjoyed some of his books. "Why I am not a Christian" forced me to re-evaluate my own beliefs. From what I remember it is very short and easy to read.

pseudoxristos

• Valis
    Valis

QUANTUM...its easier to have faith in religion than spend time "sitting" and examining the human condition. Of which religion cares little about except to say "Let Dog sort it out"....go away simpleton.... Thanks to the rest for your replies...anf of you guys ever try to tackle Wittgenstein? Another of my faves...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

i never understood why Br, Russell let his wife fill Zions plan of the ages with the

kind of poo poo..Bertrand was a whore!!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Mike

Whores sell their virtue. Bertrand kept his. He went to jail for 5 months for protesting the first world war.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit