Is This A MINI-SCANDAL In Kentucky?

by AngryXJW 23 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

"Obviously, noone can put a finger on the grand total in KY, but for those of us that have been around JWs all our lives, we have seen JWs play "follow the leader" in many different aspects of the lives, from food, vitamins, health care, etc, etc.________In this sisters case, two elders were recommending joining, and paying dues to, an organization that promotes issues contrary to WTS teachings."

Yes. I agree. And in this respect I see the JWs virtually NO different from any other type of close-knit church organization. In fact, people often PREY on such organizations since its one of the best known ways to make people feel more obligated to buy something, where they ordinarily would not. So what else is new,? is my point. In this regard JW ARE human. They are no different (well, probably a bit more susceptible to scams because of their belief in panaceas, etc). What can you really prove with their behavior here? That they dont have the TRUTH because they are human? I personally think thats weak. THEY don't even claim that. And it dilutes the real issues.

What sets them apart both doctrinally and behaviorally that IS valid to hammer away at, IMO? Just a few examples:

1. Shunning: if they follow the org doctrine, they are to SHUN and treat horribly their friends/family. THAT doctrine breeds unchristian, and inhuman behavior. Very different IMO from buying cheap insurance.

1. Letting loved ones, incl children DIE due to their narrow and bizarre interpretation of certain scriptures.

3. Indoctrinating people that the end is always just around the corner. What behavior does this breeed? Forget education. Forget saving for the fe uture. Forget trying to nurture relationships with people (including family) wholl surely not make it through Armageddon

4. Prohibiting any birthday, Christmas and other celebrations. What underscores these prohibitions? That Jehovah is so incredibly small that hed take offense that a kid was given special honor once a year that he was born. That Hes so incredibly jealous and petty that hed take offense at a celebration that has ANY remote pagan origins. People having a good time and celebrating are NOT what hes into, obviously.

Those are just a FEW of the highly influential organizational teachings that fosters horrible behavior and illustrates what I think are important reasons to run from this cult.

I dont think focusing on how theyre no better than anyone else is effective. Nor is focusing on picayune foibles, such as getting insurance at a cheap rate. Or selling Amway. Or diet products. Yes, they ARE just like any other similar religious group. Anyone who thinks JWs are more perfect obviously hasnt been around the organization very long at all.

Overturning and eroding the JWs isnt going to happen by systematically leaking all the individual shortcomings of its members and obvious failures to live up to their perfect standards. The JWs do a good enough job of that THEMSELVES via their monitoring one another and "keeping the congregation clean." I for one don't care to buy into some ridiculous notion that they ARE someone above reproach, free from blame, clean before god, pure, etc.

No, its exposing their false doctrine, their gross misinterpretation of history, and the very unchristian behavior that their unique doctrines breed among its members.

• AngryXJW
    AngryXJW

Blacksheep:______From what you have posted in this thread, you sound like someone who has had very incidental exposure to JWism via relatives who themselves were fringe JWs at best, because your thoughts disclose that you don't have a clue about day-to-day life 'mongst genuine JWs, or how they think, feel, react, etc.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Given the writings of the WT society in the past, this is certainly a valid issue for someone to be "stumbled" by.

Remember, in the long run, "stumbling" is a good thing. More often than not, "stumbling" over one (perhaps relatively small) issue, is often what knocks our eyes open to the larger issues.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

AngryXJW

Youre really off the mark here. I was RAISED and unfortunately baptized as a JW, by a very devout JW mother, with a still JW sister whose married to an elder. I know FULL well what JWs believe. However, I have been out of it for quite a while, and theres where the different perspective may come in. I really have had many years to look at how similar AND how different JW are from other similar groups.

Ironically, my mother would probably be upset by the Kentucky Farm Bureau thing. Why? Because shes one of those whod want to make sure to keep the organization pure. Deep down she like other JWs are control freaks who have to create a reality that just isn't there. If they force people to near perfection, maybe the reality will come true. Maybe it will once and for all be the truth.

And, I ask you. Supposed this little scandal were exposed. Suppose those JW elders cleaned up their act tomorrow and started buying insurance from State Farm. Supposed they fully researched EVERY other thing they bought to ensure it was perfectly consistent at all with their belief systems. Would THAT make it the truth? What if all the brothers lived up to the way they claimed: near perfection. What if the org got even better at identifying and punishing wrongdoers so as to keep the org clean. Would THAT make it the truth???

I stopped worrying about the little pecadillos a along time ago. The big lies are simply to flagrant to spend time worrying about petty stuff. People who are stumbled by stuff like this aren't going to be stumbled for long. Or for good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit