President Bush and Corporate Responsibility

by invisible 8 Replies latest jw friends

• invisible
    invisible

Of the recent speech given by President Bush and Corporate Responsibility, from the Americans in here, how do you see this policy unfolding in the USA? Do you think this is a wise move for your President to be taking, or can you see it opening wide, a flood gate, can of worms so to speak? What is the general consensus, word on the street about this issue?

Mark

• LB
    LB

We have given it much thought and think that we don't need to think about anything until the temperatures drop back below 100.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Hard to say. They can have all the laws they want but when it comes to actual court cases its a different matter. These new propossed penalties might affect people who use bogus credit cards and stuff but I doubt that any multimillionare is going to get snagged. Think about it, these guys have $$$$$$$$$$$$$ can you imagine the legal counsel they are going to have???? In the end they'll get probation, whoop-di-do.

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

Alls I know is that my 401K is on the downward sprial now!

• rem
    rem

Haha - your 401k is going down? I work for WorldCom LOL. I owe money to my 401k. hehe

Just gotta laugh.

rem

• SYN
    SYN

Geesh, owing your 401K money has to go be a....a SUCK!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I think (at least I hope) the days of high-flying, ego'd out corporate execs fleecing investors for millions and making out like bandits are waning.

I heard something on the radio the other day about how CEO's in Europe and Japan are not so high-profile and super-paid like they are in America. I guess the "superstar" concept is so deeply ingrained in our culture, that it's gonna take a lot of shocks to the system to bring things back down to earth. I hope there is a baseball strike, that would be another good shock.

Two or three years ago, Jack Welch of GE was the darling of the corporate world, the CEO Supremo. Now I'm not sure if he wasn't pulling some of the same sort of shenanigans that the others have been called on.

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

To say the least I think Bush is hypocritical. However, after having said that, it is too bad that there wasn't a watchdog group in place while Bush was tied up tightly to corporate America. I think Americans need to take more responsibility in "watchdog" organizations. As I remember it Bush ran on NOT making government bigger. Sure has been a lot of new government positions open up in the Bush admin.

• Southland
    Southland

Bush is a royal hypocrite. He himself has done all of the things he is now criticizing, including taking loans from his own company.

Edited by - Southland on 11 July 2002 13:20:15

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit