Self esteem question (sorry, no boobs)

by safe4kids 31 Replies latest watchtower medical

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

Karate really helped me with my self esteem...

Not because I thought I could go out and kick everybody's a$$...but it made me realize that everyone is made of flesh and blood. It gave me more of a respect for others and also made me less afraid of what they could do to me.

The other thing that helped my self esteem...and I should have mentioned this first; is the belief that God loves us unconditionally and that there is nothing we can do to earn it...takes the pressure of trying to be perfect away.

Lizard

• Imbue
    Imbue

Dana I didn't want to hijack your thread with another topic. I wasn't going to post this but your thread encouraged me to post this writing exercise. You know what kind of writing exercise I'm referring...

Lyin Eyes post is directly associated with the topic of this writing.

You have to praise yourself, which is not easy when all your life you have been programmed to criticize every little minor flaw you may have.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=31876&site=3

Edited by - Imbue on 10 July 2002 22:47:54

• not interested
    not interested

self esteem huh i have none but i used to get it from my skills as a carpenter always called and asked to be at the hall builds and stuff like that now its like yeah i can build stuff so what. the self esteem i get now is from beer

• animal
    animal

I have nothing but self esteem, not in a gloating way tho .... once I learned what it was and worked on myself, it was easy... still is. The same doubts rear thier ugly heads, but its easy now to ignore them, or push them aside. Only I can control my thoughts and emotions, which gives ME the power to live my way, the only way for me.

You will do fine, just never stop thinking and questioning.... and work for you, no one else.

And where the HELL are the boobies?

Animal

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

I just love myself, that's all there is to it. Sometimes I'm not too happy with the decisions I make, but I always love myself regardless.

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

((((((Tracy))))

*Sigh* I'd trade size for 'perkiness' any day! Thanks for cheering me on; it's a great comfort to KNOW that you're always in my corner...love ya sis!

Imbue, thanks for the link! Great piece of writing and G**DA** those programmed patterns of thinking!!!!!

Animal, the boobies are right where they belong altho a bit lower than I would like due to gravity

Everyone else, thank you thank you thank you! I'm taking everything to heart and trying to figure out how to make it work for me

I really didn't expect so many responses and am touched by the support shown. You all deserve a big fat

Dana

• jack2
    jack2

Dana, thanks so much for your comments, and for posting this thread!

In various ways, we've all been through the same thing, and I feel that by in effect being programmed, like Imbue wrote, to be so self-critical, we can easily end up being abused in various ways.

• Latte
    Latte

Dana,

So sorry to hear that your feeling a bit low right now. As has been said, many on this board have had to deal with the aweful feelings which come with low self-esteem. I particularly liked Lyineyes comments (all of what she said)

to praise yourself, which is not easy when all your life you have been programmed to critize every little minor flaw you may have.

This cult which weve all been involved in to varying degrees, makes one judgemental also, really, concerning oneself with other peoples business /characters, the whole setup is out of balance. Really, we needed to take time out for ourselves, a bit of TLC for ourselves. I love the words of the song 'Greatest Love' You gotta learn to love yourself.

I have also found self help books good in this respect, they have really helped me to clear my head.

I love sewing, especially for my daughter, seeing her wear what Ive made, is just great! (amateur.but getting better!)

Listening to Smooth, Sexy, Soul type Jazz

Jazz FM (http://www.jazzfm.com/ is very comforting and relaxing. Something which I have only discovered since leaving the borg. This particular radio station plays classic soul music, and is the most widely listened to jazz station on the WWW. I highly recommend it! I am considering teaching primary school children to read at a local school, I love being with children, they make me feel good, and take my mind of whatever might be bothering me.

Dear Dana, you are one lovely person, I just wish that you lived round the corner from me! .

Hope that you feel better soon!

Latte

Edited by - Latte on 11 July 2002 15:24:55

Edited by - Latte on 12 July 2002 12:6:52

• ISP
    ISP

Hey Dana!

Self esteem can come from accomplishments. They can be quite trivial things like some DIY round the home or weighty matters like gaining an academic qualification. Unfortunately they can also come from superficial areas like, money, appearance, car and clothes!

ISP

• Latte
    Latte

Isp,

I take it that this is something which you find personally fulfilling????

like some DIY round the home

I wish that I had a man like you!

Latte

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit