Any other *New Light* I haven't heard about?

by eyes_opened 10 Replies latest jw friends

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Guess I have been out of the loop for a while! That post about being denied priveledges if one decides to get a vasectomy is just too much. I am truly appalled at the presumptiousness of these people who think they can control their followers to this degree. They are indeed like the pharisees. Sick!

What I'm wondering is, in the past 5 years does anyone know what other *New Light* has popped up that I haven't heard about? <About the only one I had heard of was the change in view of 1914 being disassociated from "That generation">

Thanks

Eyes

• apostate
    apostate

I heared voting is no longer sin. You don't get disfellowshiped for it. It is only the matter of consience.

But the spiritually strong ones don't waste their time voting. No! They use it wisely promoting Watchtower interest.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Actually eyes-opened, even the 'generation' thing isn't as clear as most JW's would like to believe.

Consider what was printed in the January 15 2000 Watchtower

The First study article offers "'Six Convincing Lines of Evidence' that we are living in the last days of this ungodly world".

This is word for word what is printed in paragraph 18 followed by the associated footnote at the bottom of the page.

***BEGIN QUOTE***

18. Sixth, the number of genuine anointed disciples of Christ is dwindling, though some will evidently still be on earth when the great tribulation begins.
    Most of the remnant are quite elderly, and over the years the number of those who are truly anointed has been getting smaller. Yet, referring to the great tribulation, Jesus stated: "Unless those days were cut short, no flesh would be saved; but on account of the chosen ones those days will be cut short." (Matthew 24:21,22)
    Evidently, then, some of Christ's "chosen ones" [of which there are only 8661]will still be on earth when the great tribulation begins.*

*In the parable of the sheep and the goats, the Son of man arrives in his glory in the period of the great tribulation and sits in judgement. He judges people on the basis of whether they gave support to Christ's anointed brothers. This standard for judgment would be meaningless if at the time of judgement, all of Christ's brothers had long since left the earthly scene. - Matthew 25:31-46

***END QUOTE***

The generation is most definately BACK!

Nic'

http://communities.msn.co.uk/altJehovahsWitnesses

• AuSet
    AuSet

On a related note, could someone please explain to me the major changes that started affecting the org. at the beginning of this year? I got just a whiff of it from my still active parents...I know it was all over the "worldly" news media, but I never actually saw any articles on it.

Thanks

• Focus
    Focus
    The generation is most definately BACK!

Well, it never actually went. It just changed. It stopped being the generation that witnessed those events of 1914 and became a generation sort-of associated with that time

Which buys a lot more flexibility!

There is also:

"The expression 'the word', therefore, includes every revelation of truth down to and including the book Vindication and whatsoever shall be revealed and published, by the Lord's grace, as long as the remnant is on earth." - 1932WTWR 4/1 p101, 1933YEARBOOK 10/3

Perhaps they stop publishing "the word" once the last of the anointed dies off: they'll find something else to publish, though!

--
    Focus
    (Facts Class)

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

(Some time ago, we had another discussion on the Generation. The following is taken and adapted from that thread as it would seem to answer many of the questions here.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

In the summer of '99, some of us may have been at the 'Gods Prophetic Word' district convention. I made a couple of posts regarding something I heard there and would like to know if anyone has heard anymore about it.
    The point was this.

The convention speaker stated that, "SOME OF THE REMNANT WILL STILL BE ALIVE ON EARTH AT THE START OF THE GREAT TRIBULATION"

Let me make it clear that the WTB&TS are not saying that the end will come within the lifetime of any individuals (anointed or otherwise) who witnessed/were born in 1914.
    The word 'generation' has become so loaded and inextricably linked with 1914 that most JW's cannot see past the old theology.
    However the principle is exactly the same so I feel it is fair to claim that the 'generation is back'.

Let me explain.

Previously, Armageddon had to come within the lifetime of the
    generation living on earth who were born in/witnessed the events of 1914.
    That was then replaced by the new understanding of Jesus use of the word 'generation' as simply being the mass of wicked, ungodly people living at the time of the end.

Now however, the WTB&TS have tied themselves to a new point in time, the point at which the ingathering of Jesus anointed brothers was completed. According to many Watchtower publications (see Proclaimers ch 12), that was in 1935.

The WTB&TS are now saying that the great tribulation will start WITHIN THE LIFETIME OF THE LAST INDIVIDUALS TO HAVE BEEN ANOINTED!

It has been said that there will always be the fanatic JW who declares himself anointed and that therfore the situation can go on indefinately. RHW said that "many of the "chosen ones" (at least those claiming to be anointed) are much younger...some in their 50's or younger....the time could conceivably be extended well into this century"
    Personally I've not heard of anyone claiming to be of the remnant who is so young, but it's a good point.
    However, if asked , would the Governing Body say they expect any of the remnant to prove unfaithful and thus need replacing? NO!
    And so, do they expect the Great Tribulation to start WITHIN THE LIFETIME OF THE REMAINING 8661 *LIVING* MEMBERS OF THE REMNANT?

YES!!

And remember, the ingathering of these anointed/chosen ones/remnant/144,000 was supposedly completed, with just a few exceptions, in 1935. Even if these ones were as young as 15 when they got baptised, that would make them at least 81 years old today - many much older!

Instead of being tied to 1914, we are now tied to the lifespan of 8661 individuals who were in their teens in 1935!!!

Now, check out the Jan 15 2000 Watchtower.

Have I missed something?
    Nicolaou

• Uni girl
    Uni girl

All of this just smacks of tripe tp me. God is not going to intervene, we all believed and believe it at some point, but it is up to us to help each other. We must stop looking externally and look internally. You can not help but know that the organisation is a load of junk so other than a macabre interest in their foulings. I have seperated myself and do not embarass myself by telling others how stupid I was

PS I am marrying an ex-brother which is good cos we understand what went on. It's not a relevant point, but Im soooooo happy and wanted to tell everyone

• Prisca
    Prisca

Uni girl,

I can understand your feelings, and I congratulate you in moving on with your life.

The reasons why many on this board like to examine and discuss the doctrines and goings-on in the JW world are many. Some of those who once believed find it hard to wonder how they ever got duped in, as many came in as intelligent adults. Others who leave are trying to get some understanding of what the Scriptures really say, so examining what they once believed helps them to sort out their new belief system. Many of us still have family members who are still jws, so to be able to reason scriptually and logically on incorrect teachings is important in trying to help our relatives reason on things.

And congratulations also on your upcoming marriage. As you said, it helps to be with someone who understands what went on.

• unanswered
    unanswered

uni girl-congratulations on your engagement, my wife is also an ex-jw and it does help a lot to have someone who understands your background as a mate.

as far as the other part, along with what prisca said, many of us need to discuss these topics as a part of getting over experiences that we don't remember with fondness. some of us take longer than others to "get over it", and what one person needs another may not, but it's all valid if it helps us heal and become even better people.cheers-unanswered

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

"PS I am marrying an ex-brother which is good cos we understand what went on. It's not a relevant point, but Im soooooo happy and wanted to tell everyone".

Uni, that is just about the MOST relevant thing I've read all week. Good for you, I hope the two of you will be truly happy.

Now if only I could crush the jealousy welling up within me and stop making such meaningless posts that just seem to go on for no reason at all untill I suddenly realize what I'm doi....................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit