Need Help with a Debate

by editor 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• editor
    editor

Hello,

I am the editor of an online Christian magazine.

I have a J.W. friend that was participating in a debate with a Baptist seminary student regarding the divinity/nature of Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, due to a death in his family, he could not continue.

Is there anyone here who could fill in for him?

You can check out the magazine at www.christiantoolchest.com/ctcmagazine.html

(Subscription is free, if you are interested.)

Be sure to read the writers' guidelines and writers' contract for a more detailed description of what is needed.

If you are interested, please contact me at [email protected]

In Christ,

Tom Aaron

• mr party
    mr party

this is a forum that many jws and ex jws come to for information and support from what is by many standards, a cult, but for a debate try the ph book jws under churches.

• revdrjohnson
    revdrjohnson

Tom:

Looks like great fun. You may hear from me for the Oct. issue. But you weren't quite clear as to who you were trying to find a 'sub' for ... the JW or the seminary student?

• stevieb1
    stevieb1

Try www.egroups.com and search under the term Greek Theology. There should be a group on there called Theology of the Greek Bible which is contributed to by Jehovah's Witnesses mainly. Usual discussions centre on the doctrine of the Trinity.

• allen
    allen

I HAVE AN OPINION ON THAN PARTICULAR TOPIC AND I HOPE EVERYONE VIEWS IARE THE SAME AS MINE, NATURALLY.

#1 YOU HAVE THE FATHER

#2 YOU HAVE THE SON

#3 YOU HAVE THE HOLY SPIRIT

ON THAT EVERYBODY AGREES , RIGHT ? RIGHT !!! THE ISSUE IS NOT REALLY ABOUT THE DIVINITY OF CHRIST. IF YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN YOU JUST NATURALLY BELIEVETHAT JESUS IS GOD"S SON. THE WAY A TOPIC LIKE THAT ALWAYS WINDS UP IS THE ISSUE OF THE TRINITY DOCTRINE ,"BASICALLY ALL THREE BEING ONE " THE WORD TRINITY DOES NOT EXIST IN THE OLD TESTAMENT OR THE NEW TESTAMENT. HOW ARE YOU GOING TO DISCUSS A TOPIC"IN THE BIBLE" WHEN IT"S NOT IN THERE TO BEGIN WITH.

IT"S BEEN A PRIVILEDGE, ALLEN

• Thomas Poole
    Thomas Poole

Good response Allen. I think you not far from Wisdom.

Consider please that trinity is not divine. It bogs us down in controversy when we do not simply let the scriptures explain the three, individually and together. Perhaps it was a noble attempt to explain God, his Son, and the Holy Spirit, but the way it was formulated creates non-scriptural suppositions from the reader. This causes people to try to match the scriptures to the un-divine doctrine rather than comparing the doctrine to the scriptures. Even to do the latter, we cannot justify plausible conclusions because we do not know what the context of their expressions were back then. Actually if one views the trinity as a philosophical statement, contemporary to their time, within a religio-politcal area; it becomes more palatable. That way we can all conjecture and not be bound by what they might have meant.

For example, the sentence: "There is no division of substance." Well what do they mean by substance. What is the context of the word in their little minds; perhaps some similar common-characteristic of spiritual substance? The closest commonality I find here is that they all are not material in their nature. If one takes the view that the three are "the" same substance "by location and totality of existing essence," this would not be true. They are not the same by absolute location, ever.

The scriptures will show that in regard to one another, in relational substance by location; they are always with, from, or to one another. In their existing presence, they are never a same, exact, no-division-of-substance single entity.

A further thought is that the trinity doctrine is just another bondage upon men not-informed by the scriptures. It is tradition that divides the body of Christ. It is from the un-inspired heart of men.

Edited by - Thomas Poole on 10 July 2002 15:55:41

Edited by - Thomas Poole on 10 July 2002 16:0:53

Edited by - Thomas Poole on 10 July 2002 16:16:58

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit