My Saturday Experience @ NY District Convention

by Mister Biggs 17 Replies latest social current

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

My congregation (soon to be 'ex'-congregation) is assigned to Veteran's Stadium (that will be held next week and then again on the last weekend of July. I have made it my resolve to make this year, 2002, my final District Convention. Since it will be my last one, I decided NOT to go to the hot-a$$ Veteran's Stadium! ESPECIALLY in July! So, here's where I went and here are some of my observations...

The Stadium: Nassau Colliseum (Long Island, NY)...Home of the New York Islanders (NHL hockey) and the New York Dragons (Arena Football).

My wife and I skipped Friday because I am a Contractor and if I miss work I don't get paid! If the WTS decided to pay me my wages then I would have gone Friday. Anyway...

I ironed my clothes, shaved, and showered just before I went to bed. I did this primarily because I'm NOT a morning person and the congregation from Brooklyn rented a bus that was to depart at 7:00 in the morning. I wanted to sleep in as late as possible. My mother-in-law had other plans for my wife and I. She swings open our bedroom door (we stayed with my wife's parents), turns on the lights and shouts: "WAKE UP!". I glanced at the clock and it read: 4:30 AM!!! I...wanted...to...KILL...my mother-in-law.

Now, Saturday morning I was quite cranky! We had to walk to the bus, which was waiting for us outside the Flatbush Assembly Hall. The bus was uncomfortable, but at least the AC was cranked up! I nodded off on the way to the convention site. It was an hour ride. By the time we arrived my neck was stiff.

We go into the stadium and all of the "good" seats are gone. We sat in the middle of a row. My knees were nearly touching my face because it was so friggin' cramped because of how the seats are designed and because the ailes were stocked with briefcases and lunch containers!

I began falling asleep very soon after the opening song. By the time the second song played (you know, the song that's played between the opening song and the lunch break) I had to get the hell up. So, I went to the corridor, checked out some women (LOL), and then went outside where there were some benches set-up. The day was beautiful so I stayed outside for a while. I called badwillie and left him a message on his voicemail. What can I say? I was bored out of my skull!

For the afternoon session, I decided to play a mental game. I looked around the stadium and found many ironic things, like:

When a brother was giving a talk about the Great Dragon (Satan the Devil), only 25 yards away from him was the end-zone logo for the New York Dragons:

These signs also seemed to contradict the JW message:

Oh, and gigantic flags:

After that, I got tired again and fell asleep. This, despite having a little girl kick the back of my chair during the entire time I was in my chair!

The only thing that caught my attention from the platform was that one brother mentioned something about being okay to let the authorities to temporarily use the Kingdom Halls for their own use if they had to and that JW's can perform alternative service (instead of the military, for example). It no different than paying a tax, they said.

I will post Sunday's lovely experiences, too, in a 2nd thread. Believe me, it gets much better (or worse).

Edited by - Simon on 14 July 2002 5:5:59

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

Mr.

Hello..I was there too..did you see me??

p.s. .Flathbush is a terrible area..

Edited by - mikemusto on 8 July 2002 12:2:42

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

You know what, Musto? I meant to post on this board on Thursday to see if I could meet up with some people who would be attending. I wish I had a chance to meet you.

On Saturday, I was sitting in section 323. Where were you?

Also, any points that stood out from Saturday?

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

We sat in Section 316

about 3 rows from the top..we picked this area because it was darker than

the others....good for snoozing..

The only point I remember was from the first talk..it was that JW's look to the Bible as the ulitmate authority,

and that JW's are not followers of some man mad orgazination...crazy aint it.

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Yeah, I wish we could have met. Maybe we could have sat out on the benches and shoot the breeze!

I was knocked out during the part that you spoke about.

Please make sure that you respond to my post about Sunday's session (I'll try to post it later today).

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Heya Mike, We wer just a few sections over, 333 I think. If I would have known you were there I would have looked for your red shirt.
    I had a chance to read through the new book. Besides the missing chapters that have been discussed on this board did you note the reference to 1914 without any supporting referrences?

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

Ha Ha..mr. Biggs....I am more of a rebel than you....

I only went Sat....My cong was assinged one of those crazy dates

of Thurs Fri Sat....there is no way I am taking 2 vacation days..so

I plan on attending different conventions to make up for the dates...

the way I see it..I will be attendng 3 conventions in 3 months...one day

a month

• sf
    sf

Seems The Great Whore of Babylon (New York) is sending out a fierce subliminal message having the 2002 Assembly exactly where they know Their Masters are WITNESSED (flag, dragon, etc.) throughout the Stadium. Perhaps part of an 'agreement to ADVERTISE THE VERY WILD BEAST THEY BASH IN ALL WATCHTOWER LITERATURE...perhaps. A 'plan'? Who would ever really be able to KNOW exactly what the WATCHTOWER ('front') was...has been...is...ALWAYS WILL BE, 'a part of'? (I only expect a handful of 'readers' to fully comprehend what I just wrote..oh yea, and TED KNOWS!)

"We are and are to be no part of THIS WORLD OF THINGS"...my ass!

Let us read it now as THE TRUTH: "We are VERY MUCH a part of THIS WORLD OF THINGS...it's just you'll never be able to prove it...suckers!"

--------------------------------------

"The only thing that caught my attention from the platform was that one brother mentioned something about being okay to let the authorities to temporarily use the Kingdom Halls for their own use if they had to and that JW's can perform alternative service (instead of the military, for example). It no different than paying a tax, they said."

And THIS is what caught mine. 'Authorities' temporarily NEEDING use of kh's?? What TYPE of 'authorities'?

Hmmmmmmm

sKally

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

sf-

They said that if the governmental or civic authorities needed to temporarily use the kingdom hall then that is acceptable.

It caught me off-guard.

Musto or 44M...(or anyone else who went to the NYC convention this past weekend)...Do you remember this point?

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

yes..this was around the, What if Gorilla's come a knockin on your door.

Paying Caesers things to Caeser could be viewed as time spent working

in the community...

Usually the question and answer part is more interesting...this one wasnt

sf..

did you get tired of typing things out in google?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit