Jehovah blesses Serena-Craps on Venus

by messenger 8 Replies latest jw friends

• messenger
    messenger

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4914699

Serena Seizes Crown and Thanks God

By Tom Whitehead, PA News

Wimbledon champion Serena Williams tonight said she was blessed by God after seizing tenniss most prestigious crown.

The 20-year-old outclassed her 22-year-old sister, Venus, to take the title in a power-hitting final on Centre Court earlier today.

It was the first Wimbledon final between sisters since the first ever womens clash in 1884 when Briton Maud Watson beat her sibling Lilian two sets to one.

And next door on Court One, Argentinian David Nalbandian smashed the record books to reach tomorrows mens final against world number one Lleyton Hewitt.

In a glory run that has stunned the tennis world, the 20-year-old South American outsider has reached the final on his debut senior visit to Wimbledon.

He is the first to complete such a feat and is also the first Argentinian in a Wimbledon final.

When the number 28 seed steps on to Centre Court tomorrow it will be his first time on the hallowed turf.

He should have played there in yesterdays semi-final but had to switch to Court One because rain delays had caused a backlog of matches.

But today was Serenas day as the new womens world number one showed why she is top, beating her sister 7-6, 6-3.

Serena said after the match: Im a Jehovahs Witness. Obviously we believe in God and the Bible.

Without Him, I wouldnt be here right now. I really thank Him for everything. Ive been blessed really.

Serena admitted Wimbledon was the title she wanted more than anything and thanked her parents, Oracene and Richard, for their support.

She said: My dad always said that one day we would play in the finals at Wimbledon and here we are 10, 15 years later. Its really amazing if you think about it.

My dad, and my mom, its hard to get one champion, but now he has two.

Todays match was the ninth time the sisters have met in a top tournament with Venus just ahead of her younger competitor five wins to four.

Serenas victory ended Venuss hope of becoming the first black woman to win a hat-trick of Wimbledon titles.

American flags were few and far between and most onlookers would have struggled to know the nationality of either player if they relied on the crowd.

The scenes were a far cry from many of the previous matches witnessed over the Wimbledon fortnight, especially during Tim Henmans clashes and his ever present Henmania crowd.

Asked if she was disappointed at losing, Venus said: Well obviously, a Grand Slam this is where it is at and especially at Wimbledon, this is where it all started.

At least, I know, that sometimes I can look at the trophy.

Venus also revealed she gave her sister advice on how to curtsey to royalty during the trophy presentation, which was carried out by the Duke of Kent and his sister Princess Alexandra.

All eyes in SW19 will now focus on tomorrows mens final between Nalbandian and Hewitt, the man who dramatically ended Henmans dreams of Wimbledon glory in the semi-finals.

And the two players could not be further apart in their careers with Nalbandian earning less than 400,000 so far while Hewitt has amassed millions and already won the US Open.

The Argentinian earned his spot after beating Belgiums Xavier Malisse in a five set thriller, 7-6, 6-4, 1-6, 2-6, 6-2.

Nalbandian said: I think this is the best week of my life. This is very great for me. For me, this is a dream.

Asked if he was worried about his first Centre Court appearance, the Argentinian said: No, I never played on Court One, so its the same.

Last year Croat Goran Ivanisevic stunned the tennis world when he won the Wimbledon title after entering the tournament as a wildcard.

• LB
    LB

So will Serena count her time today??

I do recall now negative the brothers were when my son was competing in sports.

I wonder if the Williams sisters are baptised even?

• professor
    professor

Let's hope this doesn't turn into another Genesis chapter 4!

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

I wonder if Serena will be facing counsel or a Judicial Hearing?

*** w99 6/15 13 Should You Broaden Your Viewpoint? *** Some years ago young brothers from several congregations got together to engage in sports. Unfortunately, a spirit of competition developed among them, resulting in harsh verbal encounters. How did the local elders handle the problem? Recognizing the need for young ones to have recreation, they did not recommend that they stop altogether. (Ephesians 5:17; 1 Timothy 4:8) Rather, they gave firm yet reasonable warnings about what the spirit of competition could lead to. They also offered helpful suggestions, such as having older, responsible ones present. The youths appreciated the wisdom and balance of the counsel and responded well. Moreover, their respect and affection for the elders grew.

*** w99 8/1 11-12 "Gird Yourselves With Lowliness of Mind" *** Rivalry among nations is mirrored by rivalry among individuals. In competitive sports, for example, many athletes desire to be number one regardless of how this hurts others emotionally or even physically. This self-centered spirit is promoted in children and continues in many areas of adult life. It results in enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, divisions.Galatians 5:19-21.
    *** w96 2/1 25 Trust in Jehovah and His Word *** Satan has craftily promoted this spirit in school textbooks, in much of the available music, in sports, and in other forms of entertainment. Parents need to be alert to offset such influences by helping their children grow up trusting in Jehovah and his Word.

*** w96 2/1 25-6 Trust in Jehovah and His Word *** While not all desires incidental to youth are bad in themselves, youths should flee from them in that they should not let these things be a preoccupation, leaving little, if any, time for godly pursuits. Bodybuilding, sports, music, entertainment, hobbies, and travel, while not necessarily wrong, can be a snare if they become the big things in life.

*** w96 6/15 18 Blessings or Maledictions-Examples for Us Today *** Antitypical EgyptSatans worldvirtually worships entertainment. (1 John 5:19; Revelation 11:8) It idolizes actors, singers, and sports stars, as well as their dancing, their music, their concepts of fun and good times. Many have been tempted to drench themselves in entertainment while still claiming to worship Jehovah. When a Christian must be reproved for wrongdoing, his weakened spiritual state can often be traced back to drinking alcoholic beverages, dancing, and the having of a good time in some way that may border on idolatry.

*** w94 11/1 9 Jehovah-Our Tenderly Compassionate Father *** A number of role models in entertainment and sports are machos who do not shed tears or show tender affection.

*** w94 11/1 20 Be Tenderly Compassionate *** Another obstacle to our being compassionate can result from unnecessarily exposing ourselves to violence. Sports and entertainment that feature violence promote bloodlust
    *** w93 2/15 12 "Let Marriage Be Honorable Among All" *** : The world has virtually abandoned any serious attempt to live by a moral code. Chaste conduct has come to be viewed as old-fashioned. Prominent political, sports, and entertainment personalities openly violate the Bibles standards of moral conduct, and such people continue to be lionized.

*** w93 3/1 10 Be Transformed in Mind and Enlightened in Heart *** People speak of success and achievement in science, art, music, sports, politics, and so on. They revel in their fleeting moments of glory. Nonetheless, the annals of history and the record books of today are full of forgotten heroes. All of this is nothing but emptiness, idleness, vanity, foolishness, purposelessness, and frustration.

Lew W

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

LB:

I do recall now negative the brothers were when my son was competing in sports.

Dakota:

I wonder if Serena will be facing counsel or a Judicial Hearing?

Good points and observations from both of you. However, given the total prize money that both Williams sister earned (Singles Winner, Runner up and Doubles Winner), the elders and the GB will look the other way. To that organization, Money is the bottom line: if you're a big cash cow, they don't care what you do as long as you bring in the $CH-CHING$.

Regards,

Ajax

• moman
    moman

We use to to the dubhall with them. Their meeting parts were a gas!

• jack2
    jack2

Yeah, the Williams sisters. Every jw kid who ever gave up a good opportunity to engage in sports should remember these gals. And the kids who have a chance now should remember them too, and so should their parents. They should mention them to the elders when they are given 'counsel' about engaging in organized atheltics.

• teejay
    teejay
    And the kids who have a chance now should remember them too, and so should their parents. They should mention them to the elders when they are given 'counsel' about engaging in organized atheltics.

Well said, Jack2. Very nice idea!!

• Satanus
    Satanus

The GB is certifiably nuts, split personalitied, big time hypocrits, turncoats, coffins full of rotten bones.... *gasp* *breathe* Sorry, i lived by their counsel in the 60's and seventies. Now they allow this!!!??? Fucking hypocrits!

SS consternated

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit