If shunning was a conscience matter?

by aintenoughwiskey 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey

What do you think the reaction would be? I would say a small portion (single digit) would walk. No loss for the Borg, they weren't donating anyway. A larger portion would embrace DF loved ones that weren't apostate. For the vast majority, it would be business as usual. They could use a marking talk instead of a formal announcement, it would be one of few PR wins for them. "We can't control the actions of our members" Way less resentment, I can't imagine losing access to my child or grandchildren.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

If the Organization should tomorrow, June 12, 2015, make shunning a conscience matter they would lose approximately 60% of the publishers.

The Organization must first prepare the way before they open the flood gates.

Frank

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

You are not the first to ask this question. My view is the org would crumble in 5 years. The minute shunning is no longer policy 25 percent of the org leaves. People like me who are faking it anyway. After that organizational control falls apart. People start realizing they can do as they as please and what they please isnt likely to be what the wt org wants. Field Serve us falls off rapidly for most. Before long people feel free to question and the flood gates open from one to another.

The org will absolutely positivly never ever ever end shunning. Cults never up control. The second they do, they are no longer cults

• TheListener
    TheListener

What they would probably do is end shunning and then once everyone outs themselves reinstate shunning.

Then they would clear themselves of the non-donating deadwood fence-sitters in their opinion.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Doesn't matter the org would still use subversive means to guilt people into making it an unspoken rule.

Really I think this is the way it operates now even though they are more overt about it, most may abide but some likely do not.

• sir82
    sir82

Take away the "enforced" part of "enforced shunning" and, just as others have outlined, the whole thing falls apart.

The GB are nitwits but even they aren't that dumb. Disfellowshipping / shunning will exist for as long as the leadership wants the religion, and all the perks they enjoy from it, to persist.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If shunning was a conscience matter?

.....The WBT$ Would Lose It`s One and Only..

..............................BIG STICK..

...............Image result for man with big stick

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey
    Plenty of religions that have been around for quite some time have no shunning? That and shed some of the other wacky cult stuff, and the abysmal retention rate could improve?
  • BU2B
    BU2B
    I really dont know. Look at all the families that shun inactive children, siblings etc. Shunning of them is not enforced or called for yet it still happens since they have "left Jehoover" Shunning is in JW blood. Even if the doctrine changed, I believe many would do it anyways. Its all they know
  • tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd

To be honest, if I hadn't been shunned after being df'd, I would have been less questioning of their doctrines and less likely to wake up. I know I would have still come back, because I was a true believer. It would have taken me a lot longer to get to the point of questioning doctrine.

They may have an initial drop, but I think they would recover and maybe grow in the long run (especially if they drop the blood doctrine as well).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit