My Story of Waking Up - in retrospect

by cappytan 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Cappytan: I told my wife the other day that I probably could have gotten over my doubts if the Society didn't put so much emphasis on calling the organization "the Truth." Equating the organization with that word "truth" was something I couldn't get over when I found things that were obviously NOT true.

I think the word you really want is not "equate," but rather conflate:

• Conflation occurs when the identities of two or more individuals, concepts, or places, sharing some characteristics of one another, seem to be a single identity — the differences appear to become lost. In logic, it is the practice of treating two distinct concepts as if they were one, which produces errors or misunderstandings as a fusion of distinct subjects tends to obscure analysis of relationships which are emphasized by contrasts.
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    I felt betrayed.

And for good reason. All JWs have been betrayed by the Watchtower organization, if for no other reason than this:

Watchtower taught us there were valid, rational reasons for answers (doctrines) that it imposed upon us all under pain of its organized communal shunning policy, and we believed this was true. Yet we find out when Watchtower is asked hard and precise questions designed specifically to learn the reason for a specific doctrine/position the result is a non-answer, no-reason-given response.

That's betrayal.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury
    Glad you and your wife woke up Cappy, 607 was the clincher for me too.
  • Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    I was wondering about family members...glad to hear your wife is mentally out.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    I've lost count of how many stories I've read or heard about loyal and dutiful JWs who went looking for proof that the WTS was right, and ended up finding reams of info that refuted it.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I wanted to revive this thread for a new 'generation' of forum members...

Cappy's experience is a good one to read!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit