JW's that are smarter than you

by Preston 22 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Preston
    Preston

What, did I disturb your concentration with the above statement, "Wha! No, it can't be, I know what they believe in is a bunch of B.S.!" Well, guess what, It's true, and no, it isn't an oxymoron. We get so use to criticising Jehovah's Witlesses we never stop to consider all the intelligent JW's there are in the organization. And believe me there are JW's with genius I.Q.'s who have been able to utilize their intelligence like you would not believe. I know, I've met many who were able to do cartwheels around me using reasoning and steel cold logic. And as for the statement that all JW's work menial labor, I personally knew many JW's who were programmers, financial analysts, lawyers, scientists, application developers, engineers, etc, etc, etc.... In fact, when I was going to Arizona State University I knew a JW who got into Harvey Mudd (some companies can't pay their graduates enough to work for them). To be fair this was fairly recently,but right now there are many, (let me repeat that), MANY JW's who are going to Stanford, Harvard, Oxford, you name it... It just makes me wonder how they can be religiously duped, hmmmm, strange....

Let the finger wagging begin!

Disclaimer: the above statements are in no way an endorsement of the organization. There is no way I would ever want to portray the Borg in a good light...

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Intelligence in and of itself is not a barrier to fend off the forces of those who wish to convert us. Jehovah's Witnesses bring a provacative message and an intelligent person can succomb to its power as quickly as one who is not so intelligent. The intelligent person can feel vulnerable, and because of circumstances in his life can long for the paradise that the witnesses expouse. Additionally, if he is kept in the dark can really believe that the organization is a clean one and that it has god's approval.

Sometimes we get carried away with out own rhetoric but I don't think that anyone here doubts that there are some intelligent witnesses. However, I am sure you will agree that some people are simply book smart and can rationalize anything with "iron clad reasoning" and some people, I don't care how smart they are, need the organization to fill some emptiness in their lives.

Edited by - Dutchie on 5 July 2002 19:59:27

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Religious conversion has nothing to do with intelligence level. Some of the stupidest, and smartest people I ever knew were dubs. Its got more to do with personal need and state of mind at the time of conversion .Whether that person needs. I reckon its to do with personal crisis, thats when people are susceptible

• Mackin
    Mackin

The WTS has a way of "locking you in" so that your whole lifestyle becomes embroiled in the Borg. All your friends/acquaintances/support network/etc are also witnesses. And we know that to leave means giving all that up. Just ask any number of posters here how hard it is to walk away from ALL your friends and in many cases family as well. Let me tell you, it's like stepping of the edge of the world.

I firmly believe there is a very large percentage of 'dubs who are only there because the "cost" of leaving is so high. And that includes may elders and bethelites who have advanced thru the ranks simply because they've been caught up in the machinery of the organisation. For them, getting out is VERY difficult.

• Syndromology
    Syndromology

Well, that makes the bible a special book along with the magazines that "quote" from them. In history the bible has been interpreted in so many different ways, it's endless. People who are simple just see it simply but people who are really intelligent can make it a whole study, a whole theological course. The sister that brought me in (i dreamth about her today and miss her) was one of those intellectuals. We went to the same school together. I started doing computer science on a university, wich i didn't finish by the way, and she went to do physics. She's in her last year. We could always talk about biblical subjects for hours because u can make it as comlplex as you want. You can connect texts together to make a bigger picture out of that, thus making arguments in favour of the WTS. Once you believe (you want to believe something), intelligence only adds to being even more entangled in the cult.

Of course there are dubs that know the whole shit behind but use it to fit their goals.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Preston,

: I know, I've met many who were able to do cartwheels around me using reasoning and steel cold logic.

That proves you are an imbecile. Or to put it more kindly, an idiot.

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 15 August 2002 2:57:8

• Farkel
    Farkel

...Redundant...

Edited by - Farkel on 15 August 2002 2:58:50

• larc
    larc

Farkel, I think you are being a bit harsh. After all, you and I are just absolutely brilliant, or close to it, I think. Yet we were fooled, ya know. Just remember, at one time we were brain dead, as you put it, and I am sure that some thought that we were dipfucks, especially our associates in high school (does this give you flash backs?)

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Even smart guys can become slaves of fear and the need for absolute certainty. Even smart guys can have weird family issues in their past that make them susceptible to cult indoctrination. Even smart guys can desperately crave a smothering mama who runs their whole life.

• Preston
    Preston

Dear Farkel,

Just because at one time JW's were able to one-up me using logic and reasoning does not make me, as you "kindly" put it, an idiot. As dutchie so beautifully pointed out, "some people are simply book smart and can rationalize anything with "iron clad reasoning". Thank you Larc for defending me in the face of Farkel's comments.

You've been a bad boy Farkel, got to my room....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit