Only Waiting For This Moment

by COMF 15 Replies latest jw friends

• COMF
    COMF

When I moved into my new house, I found that I was not the only new tenant. A couple of newlywed scissortails had beaten me to residency by building a nest in an inside corner of my back patio. They were rather distressed by my arrival, but have learned to tolerate my presence. They certainly are doing well in tolerating the seed inside the bird feeder I hung out in the yard.

Today I saw the babies, two of them, perched up on the edge of the nest and checking out the world outside those mud walls for the first time. Within a day or two they'll hop over the edge and sail off into it on young, healthy wings, savoring at one and the same time, freedom and personal responsibility; the beauty of the world and the predatory dangers it holds.

Fear won't keep them hiding in the mud home that has sheltered them until now. They'll go bravely out to meet what life brings their way.

Yeah, man. Yeah.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/fredsaw/Files/LearnToFly2.mp3

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

COMF,

How special! Sounds like they are here to teach us something....we can all venture out, learn to fly, taken on the world and see how beautiful it can be.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Beautiful post COMF, thank you!

Fear won't keep them hiding in the mud home that has sheltered them until now.

IW

• Amazing
    Amazing

Thanks COMF ... always good to reflect on nature ... didn't the WTS publish some Bible verses about us taking lessons from the animals ... maybe personal freedom and responsibility is another one of those.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Hi Comf!

I was intrigued by your post as I am a keen bird-watcher myself. Hmm...scissortails? The name doesn't mean anything to me, so I went on to Google and found that the Scissortail flycatcher is the State bird of Oklahoma. But I'm sure that flycatchers nest in trees and not build a mud nest like your visitors have done. So, is your term "scissortail" another word for a different bird?

The nest looks just like that which is built by our own British swallow or swift, although its location so close to habitation would normally be taken by our House martin. Any chance of a link to a pic?

Englishman.

• COMF
    COMF

Hi, E! I used the expression "scissortail" because it's what I heard these birds called when I was a kid... scissortail swallows. They have two long tailfeathers that stick out on opposite sides of the fanned tail. Their bellies are yellow and their heads are blue, as near as I can tell when they're doing their aerial dives at me for invading their space. I tried to catch a snapshot of one of the parents hovering in the air around the nest, but they don't hold still long enough... by the time they arrive and I press the camera button, they've flown off again. I'll keep trying, and maybe you can put a more accurate name to them.

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

COMF, you are fast becoming one of my favorites here. Thanks for sharing your experience with these sweet birds.

• waiting
    waiting

howdy comf,

seems that you and I have more in common! On my back deck, I have an old semi-flat big basket on the wall year-round. For 3 springs in a row, little sparrows (I'm guessing) build a nest in it. The first year I wasn't sure & had my husband gently check it (as I would have moved it too much) - sure nuf! Little tiny eggs.

He replaced the basket, and let mother and children be. Same thing next year. Last week I saw the little bird peek behind the basket and noticed pine straw out the bottom....must be nesting time again! Thankfully, the basket is outside my sliding door so I can keep up with the neighbors.

Brave little critters....considering the cat food (and big cat) is right beneath them - and has been for all these years.

waiting

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Comf,

Thank you for your uplifting post. There is a strange sort of comfort in watching natural life go on around us as it has for millennia, totally unimpressed by the little games played by mankind. We are after all a relatively new but extremely dangerous addition to the planet species.

Yesterday I sat at my coffee, garden in mind when a humming-bird decided to visit no more than two inches from my head, feeding for what seemed like ever on the petunias. It was a wonderful moment, music for the eyes. Plucked at my Pantheistic leanings...lol

Enjoy your new home Comf - HS

• Englishman
    Englishman

Is this the fella?

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit