If you have children please read!

by LDH 10 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

Below you will find the Affirmations of Humanism for Children.

Secular Humanists believe there is no God; which in a round-about way makes you responible for your own actions.

Their website is at http://www.secularhumanism.org

While I don't agree with all of their teachings, the manifesto is an excellent parenting tool. (I think you'll see how different it is from JW upbringing) I think you'll find that you could raise a very balanced and emotionally stable child following these guidelines. I encourage you to copy and paste them and share them with your child!!!

A Humanist Kid believes these 16 things:

1. Be the best person you can be.

2. What is right or wrong depends on how it affects people. Hurting people is wrong, and helping people is right. (We should be honest because lies hurt people. It keeps them from knowing the truth, and it may cause them not to trust you. We should be responsible so that we do not burden others. We should respect people's privacy because it makes people feel badly when we don't.)

3. Optimism (seeing the good in things), hope, learning, truth, joy, tolerance for people's differences, love, compassion, inner beauty and readon are all good things.

4. People should talk their problems out instead of fighting.

5. Everyone should have the same basic rights. (We should be fair and nice to everyone, including people who are different from us.)

6. We should be both respectful and helpful to the physically disabled. (Offer to help, but sometimes a disabled person wants to do things for him or herself.)

7. Life should be fun for everyone. (Life is not a test run, or a preparation for something else. We should enjoy life now.)

8. Take care of the Earth. Do not litter; reduce, reuse and recycle garbage.

9. We should be both kind and gentle with animals. (Do not approach wild animals or pets you do not know. You might scare them and they could hurt you)

10. The arts (art, drama, peotry, music, and dancing) are important.

11. Find out what you can do best, and do your best at it.

12. The government and schools should not tell anyone what to believe about religion.

13. We should not believe everything we are told, jump to conclusions, or be afraid of new ideas. (Be sure you have all the facts and test something against reality to see if it is true.)

14. Science is the best way to find out about stuff, and it makes our world a better place. (I.e, it discovers medicines that cure and treat sickness. It also makes bridges and buildings safer.)

15. Everything follows natural laws. Magis is not real. There are no magical gods, angels, devils or ghosts. (Stage magicians pretend to do magic by playing tricks that are fun to watch.)

16. We are all part of the universe and should learn as much about it as possible.

• mommy
    mommy

Thanks LDH
    wendy

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Wow LDH!!

That was great. I'm going to print that in big letters and save it. Imagine what a beautiful world we would have if everyone followed these simple tenets. And imagine the inner peace and joy people would have being free to enjoy the moment and their lifes here and now without fear and guilt.

Thanks so much for posting this.

Eyes

• mommy
    mommy

LDH,
    I printed it out too. The other day my daughter and I were talking, and she mentoned that all the "bad" people are in jail. I explained to her there is no "good" and "bad" we are all people. And that we are given choices to make, the people that chose to do something that puts them in jail does not make them "bad" for life.
    There are so many different views on life out there, and different ways to raise children it could make your head spin! But I feel if you are content with yourself and have your own basic belief systems than this will rub off on our childen. Thanks for posting this
    wendy

• Simon
    Simon

Awesome LDH - that's exactly how we want to bring up our two!
    The only one I'd change is:
    11. Find out what you can do best, and do your best at it.
    to:
    11. Find out what you enjoy the most, and enjoy doing it.
    I love singing...really loud...in the shower, in the car...I know I'm terrible but hey, I enjoy it. Unfortunately, what we're really good at sometimes isn't what we enjoy doing (like, er...maths).
    I want my kids to be happy and enjoy life - I'm sure every parent wants the same!

• TheHighPriest
    TheHighPriest

Thanks for sharing that LDH I thought it was brilliant to say the least.

THP

• LDH
    LDH

Good Change, Simon!

Liking what you do is way more important that being good at something you don't like....

• GeneBean
    GeneBean

Lisa.... That was great! You allways come up with the GOOD - STUFF
    Thanks Gene.

• TR
    TR

That's very good, but I would have to add a moral aspect as far as sexual relations go.(no I'm not a prude!)Kids need to learn this at some point.

17. Do not be sexually promiscuous. It can cause unwanted pregnancies and disease.

TR

• claudia
    claudia

TR, I agree. Teaching responsible behavior is a plus. Lisa this is great stuff. Thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit