Stop and Listen !!!!!! NNOOOWWWWW

by out4good3 12 Replies latest jw friends

• out4good3
    out4good3

What is it with hardcore Jw's who think that everytime an elder speaks everyone should drop what they're doing and listen?

I was over a relative's house the other day when two elders came by for a shepherding call. They wound up talking to the wife because the husband, who fell away after the 1975 fiasco, was hiding out in the back of the house. I and my spouse left abruptly because she, a loyal jw apologist, was incensed that he didn't want to go out and hear what they had to say. Just what did she want him to do? Since his wife was willing to listen since she still believes, why should he be compelled to go out there and put up with that nonsense? It's my opinion that he was making himself scarce so as not to cause a problem for his wife, but my wife feels that he was hiding because of some percieved problem he was having with his conscious. Apparently, to her, he wasn't doing what he is "supposed" to be doing thus he was obviously having a crisis of conscious. The reality of the situation is that she wouldn've been happy unless he was out there sitting quietly, listening, and agreeing with everything "springing forth" from the elder's mouth as if these words were being spoken by God himself.

I guess if you're not going out selling magazines door to door or going to the almost daily propaganda meetings, there's obviously something wrong with you.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

While I was still in the dubs, the elders were gradually being elevated to mini-gods within the congregations, at least here they were. Many think what issues forth from them is tantamount to scripture and don't mind telling you so.

LOL, shortly before I threw out the last elders I spoke to, I had the audacity to actually "challenge" one on scriptures. He replied to me that he "knew his scriptures inside and out, don't dare challenge him!" So, being the smart ass I am, I mentioned that as far as I was concerned, the JWs didn't even come close to living up to Jesus' commandment at John 13:34, 35. He got a blank stare while he tried desparately to think of what it said and he couldn't.The other elder with him told him what it said. He turned red faced and I sat their with the proverbial grin on my face.

Maybe that was the real reason he wanted to DF me?

Of course, the wife thought I was being smart and to tell the truth, I was. But, if she can't see them for what they really are, then we don't need to be married any longer.

Lew W

Edited by - DakotaRed on 4 July 2002 19:40:36

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Your friend's wife sounds like my mother. She didn't care what we were doing with our spirituality so long as we were 'seen' to be doing the right thing...even if it was just meeting attendance, nodding & smiling and tiping your hat at old ladies.

Your friend's wife probably wanted him to attend as the brothers would have no doubt suggested it. They consider it to be a family thing, and it is recognised in the jw community as a spiritual gift. She most probably felt like he wasn't appreciative of their 'gift'. Hells bells I'd love to have attended...I have a few gifts I'd like to give them in return.

Beck

• professor
    professor
    While I was still in the dubs, the elders were gradually being elevated to mini-gods within the congregations, at least here they were.

My father is an elder and believe me, he IS a mini-god in his own eyes.

Edited by - professor on 4 July 2002 1:43:46

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Prof, have you noticed how many are very proud of their humility, too? The act of humility is so lame, a blind man could see through it. Very few I knew ever displayed real honest humility.

Lew W

• professor
    professor

Oh yes. They can put the definition of humility on just about anything. It is all just an act and it is completely ridiculous. When I find myself mirroring this behavior, it annoys me very much.

• Xandria
    Xandria

Yep, perhaps we should all mirror .. and the first to snicker or lose it to laughter has to strip down to his or her skivies.

An dance .. heheheee. That should teach us proper humilty. Seeing one in one's all together will equalize anything.

Xandria

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    Seeing one in one's all together will equalize anything.

Xandria, when I was taking my draft physical, we had to strip down as you suggest. As we were standing in line, awaiting our "turn your head and cough" inspection, I glanced down the line. It was then and there that I realized that God did not create all men equal!

Lew W

• dustrabbit
  • Xandria
    Xandria

Yea maybe God did not make all men equal .. physically. But it sure does take the starch outta any overbearing behavior.. b/c I bet you could not keep a straight face looking at an someone in his or her's birthday suit. It would give you equal standing at any meeting.

Xandria

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit