Two Witnesses

by RR 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• RR
    RR

It's interesting that the Society uses the "two WItness" rule, the Apostle Paul interprets this differently in 2 Corinthians 13:1. He says

"This will be the third time I am coming to you. "By the mouth of two or three witnesses every word shall be established."
    Notice he says that he is visiting three times, and considers this "two or three witnesses." So why is it, that a 6 year old victim cannot tell her story of abuse two or three times and be accepted?
  • dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

as usual, I have to ask you: WHICH BIBLE ARE YOU USING PLEEEEEASE?

this isn't Watchtower, where it can be assumed xxx bible is being used...

..PRETTY PLEASE...

• Bang
    Bang

Fuuuck, did they change that too?

Bang

• musky
    musky

RR , it still seems to me that 2 or 3 witnesses still needed in this verse. I just don't get it i guess.

• Pancho
    Pancho

What Paul is saying is, Each time he visits the congregation, it is like a witness to the congregation. And since it will be the 3rd time he visits that congregation he quoted "By the mouth of two or three witnesses every word shall be established." To show them that it was at least 2 or 3 witness that he gave them.

Just my 2 cents.

• zev
    zev

here's some various translations for y'all:

niv:

2 Corinthians 13

Final Warnings

1 This will be my third visit to you. "Every matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses." [1]

Footnotes

1. 13:1 Deut. 19:15

nasb:

2 Corinthians 13

Examine Yourselves

1 (1) This is the third time I am coming to you. (2) EVERY FACT IS TO BE CONFIRMED BY THE TESTIMONY OF TWO OR THREE WITNESSES.

Show cross-references
    1. 2 Cor 12:14
    2. Deut 17:6; 19:15; Matt 18:16

amp:

2 Corinthians 13 1 THIS IS the third time that I am coming to you. By the testimony of two or three witnesses must any charge and every accusing statement be sustained and confirmed. (1)

Show cross-references

1. Deut. 19:15.

nlt:

2 Corinthians 13Pauls Final Advice

1 This is the third time I am coming to visit you. As the Scriptures say, "The facts of every case must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses." [1]

Footnotes

1. 13:1 Deut 19:15.

kjv:

2 Corinthians 13 1 This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

nkjv:

Coming with Authority

Paul's Warning; Greetings and Benediction

1 This will be the third time I am coming to you. "By the mouth of two or three witnesses every word shall be established." [1]

Footnotes

1. 13:1 Deuteronomy 19:15

kj21:

2 Corinthians 13 1 This is the third time I am coming to you. "In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established."

asv:

2 Corinthians 13 1 This is the third time I am coming to you. At the mouth of two witnesses or three shall every word established.

we:

2 Corinthians 13 1 This is the third time I am coming to you. The holy writings say `Any complaint must be proved by the words of two or three people.'

ylt:

2 Corinthians 13 1 This third time do I come unto you; on the mouth of two witnesses or three shall every saying be established;

darby:

2 Corinthians 13 1 This third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every matter be established.

i use this bible gateway:

Edited by - zev on 4 July 2002 9:57:6

• RR
    RR

Here you go, New World Translation

This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established. 2 Cor. 13:1 NWT
  • Farkel
    Farkel

RR,

: Notice he says that he is visiting three times, and considers this "two or three witnesses."

Interesting observation.

What is even more interesting is that in this context there is NOTHING to indicate that he is talking about sins, judicial committees, shunning or even accusations of sins.

Yet, the Watchtower Corporation uses that verse as its cornerstone for determining whether to mete out justice or not.

Farkel

• nancee park
    nancee park

One scripture says "there is a time and a place for everything under the sun" meaning even the very unusual can also occur, i.e. that there can be a necessary exception to what is otherwise the norm. But no, with deceased Leo the Pedophile Greenlees and his still lively kindred spirits in the hierarchy of today, we cannot expect them to be reasonable. Theirs is a tree rotten through and through: Gov Body-DOs-CO-Elders-MSs-wannabe toadies.

• abbagail
    abbagail

This is excellent. Thanks for the enlightenment on that scripture. Surprising no one before now mentioned it anywhere that I've seen...

Btw, what's a "toadie"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit