What do JW's Do on the 4th?

by Double Edge 25 Replies latest jw friends

• revdrjohnson
    revdrjohnson

In 'Da Hood we always did the BBQ thing -- full effect. 'Good Sister Knight" even had an ice cream machine. We'd also watch the fireworks from afar -- although in Detroit ours were always close to a week before the 4th.

My mother's husband worked for a company that gave them a turkey on T'Giving (then I got a second one from my job -- when I became an adult). For years my mom and I stayed home from the Thursday meeting to cook, and the 'friends' came over after the meeting. I think in the later years they put a ban on the celebrations.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

When I was a good dub, I also chastised my wife for wanting to go view the fireworks. I would tell her, "Do you know what those fireworks represent? They represent the BOMBS and GUNFIRE that KILLED people in WARS that JEHOVAH did not AUTHORIZE!!!!!!!"

So she would go off without me to watch them while I sulked in my righteous indignation.

Now I am still married to her but I am no longer dubbed as a dub. I have no idea what I am going to do tomorrow night but I am sure she will be off to view the 'works with her dub family as if Jehovah approved of the US of A.

• writerpen
    writerpen

My family always watched the fireworks too. But I never heard of witnesses giving their children gifts the day before or after Xmas and bdays. The funny thing is, someone just a few days ago said they knew of witnesses that did this. I was raised one and never heard of this. Well I'll be damned, I ain't never got a gift right before or after my bday.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

what else? going door-to-door, 'cause everybody's home then. we never had barbeques or even watched fireworks. after all, how would it LOOK?

• jack2
    jack2

Tomorrow it will be a cookout and swimming at a relative's house. Most years, it's a BBQ and some go to see the fireworks; I know few jws who are so strict that they do nothing on the 4th. Meetings for service are usually weakly supported (as are most holiday service promos...the last time I was stupid enough to go out on a holiday, 2 jws showed up). Because it's a meeting night tomorrow, many jws will cut their day short to attend.....I however, don't plan on it.

One Thanksgiving a group of publishers asked that their bookstudy be moved to Saturday morning of that week. The elder conducting the study approached the elders.......request denied.

• wholewheat
    wholewheat

Yes, I will be out in service, but afterwards a few of the friends are getting together for some bar-b-que and we are going to watch some fireworks. My favorite are the M-80's(the real M-80's)!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit