Best Argument for Atheism - In your view.

by LAWHFol 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

D4G

The God Delusion. I read it in 2006, and it provided a good primer for at least helping me understand what atheism really is.

Atheism isn't a belief system. It is simply and merely a response to an assertion that god exists.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Though not as specific towards theism, Cosmos by Carl Sagan was my personal fav with respect to thought provoking meanderings. The guy had a reasoned way with words and conveyed a wondrous vision of reality.

Of course, the problem of evil itself rests a solid case against a loving god.

This doesn't rule out all possibilities.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

D4G

My point is, a single book will not do it.

Some of us don't need a book at all. We just 'know' that there is no god. The idea is just so preposterous.

For some, 1,000 books will not be enough. They want to believe in god and that's the end of it.

The bulk of the people are somewhere in the middle. Some people need a range of books to be convinced. Some just need the right book.

Which ever camp you are in people, ffs, get on, read, accept that god doesn't exist. and lets get this farcical episode in Man's history out of the way so that we can move on.

In the years to come, future Man is going to look back on this part of Man's history and say, "They believed in what? A sky wizard that knew all, heard all and saw all! WHY?"

It's embarrassing.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins

The Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan

God is not Great - Christopher Hitchens

Why I am not a Christian - Richard Carrier

Drunk With Blood - Steve Wells

Letter to a Christian Nation - Sam Harris

On the Origin of Species - Charles Darwin

Start with these. Top to bottom. I actually started with Sagan and went to Dawkins from there, equally effective. Open your eyes!

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Millie210

Continuing in devils advocate mode...the thing that gives me pause in the can/cant prove God does exist argument, is that atheists are no happier than everyone else.

Over the centuries, christards have murdered between 100 and 200 million souls. That doesn't include those souls that they raped, pillaged, tortured and enslaved.

christinsanity is the most murderous cult the world has ever seen. Not bad for a cult that insists that it is about peace and love.

Other religtards have murdered countless millions too.

I don't know about you but I'm happier not being a religtard than being one and condoning its history.

• millie210
    millie210

I agree completely Doltologist.

For me, religion really is a snare and a racket with JWs being included in that mix.

I can however, see that religion has played a role in meeting some need in society or else it would have ceased to exist long before now.

I dont feel that need personally - just stating what seems to be the case.

Like you, I do feel happier outside than I did "in".

What I am not sure of at this point is where the middle ground is. Religious extremists are not happy...ok.

So who are the polar opposites of the religious extremists?

Are those people happy?

Happiness in the sense of contentment, a feeling of a rich life, full of meaning and purpose and love.

• done4good
    done4good

Doltologist-

I agree at a practical level, any sky daddy wizard concept falls outside of what we call common sense. My point was, common sense is relative. Until someone learns to think critically, what might be common to us, is not so much to a theist.

In case I was not clear, I understand atheism is not a belief system. I am an atheist myself. I kind of thought that was clear. That said, prior to reading Dawkins' book in 2006, my understanding then was incorrect, just as it was for almost everyone else here at one time. By framing the definition of atheism correctly, this gave me something to build upon over the next 5 years.

I am not here to pat myself on the back. I offer this information as someone with 10 years experience out of the cult to help others who are not as far along.Take what you need, and leave the rest.

d4g

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Millie210

Religtardism does address a need in Man but that need was created by religtards in the first place. It created the need so that that it could then solve it. Cute, no?

What was the need?

The need to cope with the fear of death which didn't exists until the christards came up with the concept of heaven and hell. Before that point, there was simply the 'afterlife' which Man automatically went to following death. One didn't have to prove what a jolly good person one had been in life. We simply went straight to the afterlife. Death, before this point, was accepted by Man as being part and parcel of life.

Then the christards came along and said that there were, in fact, two afterlives. The good went to an afterlife called heaven and the bad went to the afterlife called hell.

Of course, by donating money and land to the christard church, one could book one's place in heaven regardless of how evil one had been in life.

Those at the top of the christard hierarchy used this to reward or to punish the christards at the bottom of the hierarchy. This is called mind control.

So yes, christinsanity does address Man's needs but it was a need created by religtards in the first place.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Millie210

I don't think happiness is determined at the global level. Surely, it's an individual thing No?

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

D4G

Your previous post wasn't quite clear. It is now.

You should give yourself a pat on the back for getting out. You deserve one. I'm only now beginning to understand just how difficult that is.

Take care y'hear?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit