Best Argument for Atheism - In your view.

by LAWHFol 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Best Argument for Atheism - In your view.

I`m not a believer,I have no faith..But..

I don`t believe there is a good argument for Atheism or the Existence of God..

There`s no proof either way..

Like Dawkins,I`m Agnostic..

He gives the chance of "No God" a 6.9 out of 7..

He leaves the door open for what many of us feel,is an Unlikely Possibility..

• millie210
    millie210
    done4goodan hour ago

That points to a false dichotomy. Happiness is independent of belief.

I agree that it is a false dichotomy. It is very over simplified.

But is happiness really independent of belief or is belief a subtle component of the illusive state we call happiness?

At the end of my days I want happiness to be something I have found in my life.

I am on an N of 1 experiment since leaving JWism.

I dont know if God exists or not. There is not absolute proof for or against.

So we are each free to surmise.

While I am surmising, I am defining what a real life means to me. I think one thing it means is being happy.

I see successful people in different areas who are not happy. Happiness seems as illusive as the whole "God" thing.

So I am on a one person search for happy people. I am looking for them everywhere. In my real life if someone seems happy I am going out of my way to investigate further when I can.

Without being weird that is!

I was talking to someone the other day, an older lady who seemed like someone who had been happy for a long time (based on her demeanor and the way the lines had settled on her face). I asked her when was the happiest time of her life. Her answer? "Right now".

I asked her to lunch. I told her I wanted to hear more.

It was a great lunch. She is a fascinating 83 year old.

Here on the threads I am reading and searching for the belief system of the happiest people.

I am extremely curious about this.

I am compiling my thoughts on paper. Who knows, maybe I will write a book about the search for happiness. I find it something that fills my thoughts and is a wonderful antidote for leaving my religion behind.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I think a better pose might be, "best evidence against theism"...

x

...which, IMO, would be any logical and rational arguments that successfully refute the existence of mythological figures based on how tenable or untenable the stories told about said figures are.

• Heaven
    Heaven

One of Religion's main fatal flaws is claiming their error riddled holy book is the inerrant, true word of God.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

One of Religion's main fatal flaws

is claiming their error riddled holy book is the inerrant, true word of God........Heaven

Yes that`s Laughable.....If there "Is a God"..

I doubt He/She/It has anything to do with religion..

• Doltologist
    Doltologist
    Try common bleedin' sense. Much underrated IMHO.
  • StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

Best argument for atheism?

This is a good question. I hope this can help clarify:

The reason I am an atheist is because I have not been provided good evidence of the theist's proposition that "God(s) exist". The burden of proof is on the theist. This would also be true if the person said they believed in UFOs, the Loch Ness monster, fairies, Big Foot, The Illuminati, etc. The burden is not on me to disprove their claims, but for the believer in the claims to prove their position. The proof of God's existence by most theists is typically faith, personal revelation, a holy book, or they point to the Universe and say "Oh, how complex...surely there was a creator", and so on. If this is not sufficient for you, you take the default position which is atheism. Therefore, the question could be reworded as "Best argument for theism?" and, if there isn't a good argument for theism, the default position is atheism.

Also, it is good to try not to mix evolution (and the Theory of Evolution), the Big Bang theory, abiogenesis, and other ideas into the mix. These are scientific explanations of natural phenomenon and are not positions for or against the proposition "There is a God(s)". The proposition that "there is a God(s)" needs to stand on its own merit (or lack thereof).

For example, the Big Bang theory is the current best scientific explanation of how the Universe came about from a high-density state then expanded. Lots of great experiments that go farther and father in time. We don't have all the answers yet and we may never have them. But the default position on these gaps of knowledge would be "We don't know" (and, maybe, "let's keep trying to find out") and not "Therefore...God(s)".

Hope this helps.

• millie210
    millie210

Thank you StrongHaiku,

You have a way of phrasing things that doesnt come across as abrasive and that helps me to consider your points.

So because of the above I actually have the courage to ask you a question!

Why does the burden of proof automatically rest on the side of the theist?

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Millie210

I'd like to address that question if I may.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot

• millie210
    millie210
    Thanks Doltologist. I will go read the link.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit