JW: Lower requirements

by larc 23 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

The lower requirements of the Wt has been brought up from time to time. I thought I would summarize the ones I know of. 1. Conventions used to be one week and go from early morning til late at night. Now, they are three days and much shorter in length. 2. At conventions you were expected to go door to door as part of the program, not any more. 3. Pioneers used to be required to put in 100 hours a month, now it is down to 70. Anyone who had to meet the 100 hour quota knows, that 70 hours is a piece of cake, by comparison. 4. At one time, a study with your child was expected, but not counted as an official Bible study, now it is. 5. The public talk used to be an hour, now it is shorter. In the past, we would give the householder a pamphlet to the public talk, now that isn't done. Of course, there are others, such the time committment at Bethel, and the alternate service provision for military service. Well, folk, I think the Witnesses are getting soft. What do you think?

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Getting soft? I think you're right. Just like the covers of their "bible aids".

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Yes everything is being simplified. I also think we live in different times....I remember the days when assemblies would go late into the night...geez that was cruel. As a kid I used to wish I could curl up on the floor and go to sleep...but of course mother staunch would slap me on the thigh and nudge me awake if my head should fall and rest on her shoulder.

larc - do you remember the days when there would be a 5 minute break between the public talk and WT study?? They were smoke breaks LOL...goodness I'm getting old...I can remember those days. My mother and grandmother had to give up when 'new light' was revealed and they all had to chuck in the smokes. I can remember one brother rolling up his tobacco as soon as the book study was over. Sorry my thoughts don't really go in line with your theme....just thought I'd share that bit of useless information with ya.

Beck

• drawcad_1
    drawcad_1

they have changed thier requirements on blood transfusions.

• Zanniesmom
    Zanniesmom

There used to be two circuit assemblies each year, and they were 3 days long with field service, too. Now there is a one day assembly only.

Becky Alvarez

• outnfree
    outnfree

Hello, Zanniesmom, and welcome to the board!

I left about a year ago, and there were two Circuit Assemblies at that time; one is a two-day affair, actually called the "circuit assembly", the other is a one-day "special assembly day." Has this changed to only the one?

outnfree

• Zanniesmom
    Zanniesmom

No, I just thought there was only the one, from comments I had read. I didn't realize they still had the 2 day one.

Becky Alvarez

• jack2
    jack2

Good post larc,

If not for the softening up, they'd have lost a lot more to inacivity.

And here's a news flash for them.....it's still too much. 5 meetings each week. Admonshing family heads to plan at least weekly field service. Expecting jws to prepare for all meetings. Expecting jws to keep up on the reading of all publications and magazines. Expecting jws to have a regular family study. Expecting jws to be willing to conduct bible studies with interested ones. Expecting jws to prepare for such studies. Expecting jws to follow a program of regular bible reading. Expecting jws to make time to meditate. Expecting jws to pray "incessantly" (which might be possible if they had some time). Expecting jws to consider various forms of pioneer service. Expecting jws to prepare and deliver talks in the theocratic school.....and all that is for the 'average' jw. Ministerial servants and Elders of course have, in most cases, alot more to do.

Frankly, I don't know how jws managed back then. They can barely manage now, if they manage at all. I've been with it long enough (nearly 3 decades) to remember the longer assemblies and so forth.

I also feel that the WTS has overlooked a major societal factor that has occured over the past few decades, especially the past 20 years.....increased numbers of women are now working secularly. This factor, perhaps more than any other, makes it so much harder for the average jw family to keep up with all the demands. Especially so of course the jw wife who now has a job on top of everything else. Simplification? Yeah, they've done some. In my opinion, they have much further to go.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

I'm sorry, but these folks who are so wrapped up in their working their way to salvation need to "Buy a dog, Name it "Life" and then they'll have them."

I remember when they changed to the "no smoke break" Sunday meeting. Sheesh, it was almost unbearable. They also used to have a prayer between the meetings instead of just a song.

Anyway, there ya go.

CoonDawg

• Preston
    Preston

Is the organization getting soft? Sorry, but Jack had it dead on... at one time they were Wacko Psychotic bastards, now they're just Deceptive Psychotic Bastards...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit