Can 'truth' change?

by wholewheat 69 Replies latest jw friends

• wholewheat
    wholewheat

In another thread I posted the following thought, but I wanted to post this for everyone to see and give their input.

The argument that 'truth' never changes holds no water. According to Random House Webster's Dictionary, 'truth' is defined as follows,"conformity with fact or reality".

The word 'conform' is defined as,"to bring into agreement".

If 'truth' never changes, then how can something taught in science that is considered to be 'exact', later be corrected by 'conforming with fact or reality so as to bring into agreement'?

• Francois
    Francois

You are merely playing semantic games which reveal a total misunderstanding of the role of science, the meaning of truth, the implications of reality, and the limitation of fact. Something may be totally apparent factually and yet be unalterably not truthful.

You are in way over your head.

FT

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yo, Buckwheat, how's it hanging? Shout out to Spanky and Alfalfa! And how is that spotty dog?

The Watchtower Society does you Dubs a disservice by calling their strobelight of dogma "The Truth."

It's got you all confused, yo.

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 30 June 2002 19:3:52

• larc
    larc

Francois, I was thinking the same thing. Wholewheat needs to start reading real books instead of the mush he is used to. He ought to start with a book on basic science, scientific theory, and the scientific method before he begins a discussion like this. Maybe, if he would read a few books by Carl Sagon, for example, he might find a "new light."

• wholewheat
    wholewheat

Francois,

Telling me that I am in over my head is not a good answer. But I will help you to make a better argument. First of all, you could start by being explicit as to how I am playing a 'semantics' game by giving me your definition of 'truth'. Another point you could make is that the Society teaches 'Fundamental Truths" which are supposed to never change. So how would I answer that? C'mon, let's make this debate fun!!!

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Conform is a verb, one meaning of which is "to bring into agreement".

Conformity is a noun meaning "compliance with".

Logically, if "something" regarded as "truth" requires conforming (verbal def.) to agree with known facts, it cannot, by definition, have been "truth", since truth already has conformity (nounal def.) with facts. Only error requires conforming to fit facts.

Facts lead to truth. Truth does not change to fit facts.

Expatbrit

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yo, Buckwheat, how's it hanging? Shout out to Spanky and Alfalfa! How's the fishin' on the East River, Buckwheat?

The Watchtower Society does you Dubs a disservice by calling their strobelight of dogma "The Truth."

It's got you all confused, yo.

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 30 June 2002 19:10:22

• SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey

Wheat, a "fun" debate begins with 2 sides. So far we've seen only one, since you provided nothing intelligent to debate against.

The point you overlooked in the first place is that science does NOT claim to provide "the truth" as the WTS does. Science deals with hypothesis, theory, experimentation. Science does not claim "this is the way it is, and if you don't believe it then you can't be a scientist," and then decide 5 years later that that was *never* the way it was, that this *other* is really true, and what a shame about those poor bastards who believed the other, 5 years ago, and were not allowed to be scientists in the meantime while the rest of us were catching up.

Simple enough?

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

My Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary defines truth as "the state of being the case:FACT." Now how can something in accord with fact or reality change? Fact, in turn, is "the quality of being actual." If truth doesn't have objective reality, it isn't truth. You should call it something else. Maybe, Miracle Wheat???

• larc
    larc

Wholewheat, you introductory post sounds like something you would say to a householder to get your foot in the door. Since Witnesses are not used to talking directly, and feel they have to weasel their way in with an indirect question, and a hidden agenda, let me ask you directly - what is it that you want to discuss? Is it science? Is it your religious doctrines, or is it something else altogether?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit