Stafford Discusses Calgary Case

by AMNESIAN 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Cygnus
  • teejay
    teejay

Thanks, Cyg,

That answers the first question. The pie chart and what's forbidden were very helpful.

Any help/thoughts (anyone) on my second question? Was Bethany willing to have the transfusions or is her dad forcing them on her, for her own good?

• Scully
    Scully

teejay:
    2. In the case of Bethany Hughes, I'm unclear: Did she want the transfusions or did her father force them on her? Which brings up a thought that is more personal. If my daughter was a minor and needed a transfusion but wanted to follow her "bible trained" conscience, would/should I force her to accept a transfusion to save her own life? Would it be the right thing for me to do?

Shouldn't it ultimately boil down to what is in the best interest of the minor child, regardless of whether or not she wants them? If her father - the head of the household (according to WT theology) - decides that it is in her best interest to have a blood transfusion or exploratory surgery for ovarian cysts or a booster shot for German measles (show me a 16 year old that actually WANTS surgery or even a needle), then he is legally in a position to give consent for those procedures. Who am I, or anyone else for that matter, to interfere with that?

Even the Bible acknowledges that a "live dog is better off than a dead lion" (Ecclesiastes 9:4). If she chooses to remain a JW once her leukemia is cured, that's fine, and one more JW who feels they are "bringing praise to Jehovah". If she dies a martyr, she's dead. Period. Forever. She and her mother and sisters may "have faith" that she will be resurrected, but that's only what they "believe". There's no evidence that it will happen. She's better off to remain alive for as long as she can, and live as full a life as possible.

Who knows? In a few years' time maybe she'll be thanking her dad instead of shunning him for consenting to the treatments.

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit