Double Standards

by Perfection Seeker 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• mommy1
    mommy1

My Dad would be the nicest "brother" at the hall and then would come home and be Mr. Negative. He would come home from meeting and say Jehovah will do away with this person that person on and on it would go.

• Jewel
    Jewel

Perfection Seeker: I am in Iowa- what state are you in?

13th Apostate: I live in iowa also

Hey, I'm in Iowa, too. Where in the northeast part? I'm in the east central part-Davenport/Dubuque area!!

Jewel

• Perfection Seeker
    Perfection Seeker

HI everyone! My heart stopped when I read Iowans in here- I should be comforted, but at first I freaked out- still trying to "STALL" my disfellowshipping" lol. I am in the Cedar Rapids area. Anyone want to come with me to my Judicial hearings? LOL. Actually, I talked to my sister yesterday- she thinks I have faded away enough that only my mother will hassle me- and not the "brothers" I hope that is the case!

• 13th_apostate
    13th_apostate

jewel - I'm in waterloo

perfection - one of my sister in laws lives in cedar rapids. I'm down there quite a bit. let me about your hearing. I'll help you spice it up. ;)

will

• Perfection Seeker
    Perfection Seeker

Ha ha! I am HOPING I won't have a committee meeting :-) I like the one posting of someone in here- ways to spice up a JD hearing- made me laugh so hard I cried! They sure had me at my last one- I was a scared little girl! (27) I did exactly as told, said what I should, etc. Now, I am afraid I'd have to ask my husband to come just to shut me up! I do feel sorry for them- I think they will be judged more harshly for judging others. Don't you?

• Solace
    Solace

Oh dont get me started..

I dont want to bad mouth my family I do love em' but I remember the shouting matches before leaving for the meeting, in the car the entire way there and sitting at the kingdom hall as if nothing ever happend.

I honestly dont think we were thought of as the ideal family though. Im sure many people saw though.

Edited by - heaven on 29 June 2002 14:1:15

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

This thread certainly brings back memories I thought I had forgotten, or maybe that I wished I could completely erase.

I know all too well about families that put on facades at the Kingdom Hall to give the appearance that they are the happy model family, when the truth is that they are as dysfunctional and in need of therapy as any "worldly" family could ever be.

For example, while still an active Witness, one of my friends was the son of the presiding overseer and a full-time pioneer mother. Now you KNOW they were pretty much the standard and model that the rest of the congregation was to look up to. Now I was about 16 years old, but I remember like it was yesterday. The son was a product of his mother's first marriage before entering the Jehovah's Witness organization. The PO father had adopted him after they got married.

On one occasion I stopped over at my friends house prior to either of his parents coming home, and we played video games. I had parked on the other side of the street down almost half a block, so Im certain to this day that is why his dad did not realize I was there. He thought that his son was home alone. Now before this my friend had confided in me before that things were not right at home, but I had never seen anything for myself, but I wanted to be encouraging and a listening ear and try to be a good friend.

Anyway, his father pulled in the driveway, and he went out of his room and down the hallway then down the stairs to greet his dad. His father walked in, and I swear to God I will never forget it. The PO walked in and I heard him scream:

Your fucking useless J#!!y! You didn't cut the grass today!

and he proceeded to HIT my friend and slap him around in the hallway downstairs. Over cutting some grass???

I was so shocked and horrified I did not know WHAT to do. Like I said, I was only 16 at the time, and I didnt know if I walked out if he would try to hit me or what.

After it got quiet downstairs, I finally mustered the courage to walk down the steps. It was the most eerie moment of my life. I saw my friend, crumpled over on the couch sweaty and beaten, and I saw the father gazing at me as if he saw a ghost with a look of horror on his face.

I was 16, naive, scared, and stupid.

He told me:

No one will ever believe you Jason. If you ever say a word I will make you out to be a liar and a slanderer. Do you want to hurt your family? Do you want to be hurt?

I never said anything. I justified it to myself that it was their family, and not my business.

I was 16 years old, and afraid of a man.

That is a mistake I have never made since.

It was not long after that experience that his family moved away. I guess the father was afraid that the truth loomed over him and could be exposed at any time.

Now that I am 5 years older, an adult, about 75 lbs heavier, and much stronger both physically and emotionally, if I had a chance to meet up with that old man now, I would beat the living shit out of him, and ask him how much he likes being someone's personal punching bag.

And people wonder why I hold a grudge against the Jehovah's Witnesses. I have witnessed and experienced things which no person should endure in a lifetime. I have had my family taken from me, I have seen children beaten by their parents, and I have seen people lie outright to your face if it meant protecting their own image within the congregation.

I HATE the Jehovah's Witnesses, and I WILL be ALIVE to see their DOWNFALL.

• Perfection Seeker
    Perfection Seeker

This last post really says it all- you were 16 and afraid. How many 16 year olds OUTSIDE of the organization are scared of anything???~? I spent my ENTIRE childhood & early adult hood AFRAID! What a way to grow up! You mentioned 75 pound heavier- speaking of heavier- ever notice how alot of the witnesses are fat? I mean, grossly fat? Like the end is coming soon- so why diet or exercise? So, is gluttony NOT a sin? I think they pick & choose their sins & pick & choose what they want to believe. So much bitterness over lost lives, lost childhoods. I can't believe the years I spent AFRAID. Nice, on some level, to know others felt & feel the same way. Before this website, I felt so alone.

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

jws teach hypocrisy right from the platform,..not love,........................ no wonder when no one is looking their true colors shine......they really know very little about love.

Edited by - crawdad2 on 29 June 2002 14:48:37

• Solace
    Solace

Wow Jason. That guy was a pure hypocrite. Thats pretty heavy for you to witness and carry with you at that age. I regret that there were times when I could have simply called the police when my mom was being abused by my stepdad but I just hid away in my room. Its amazing that we manged to keep our mouths shutt when we were told to since I certainly wasnt behaving myself much during those teen years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit