Save the pledge

by Tammie 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Tammie
    Tammie

This came in my e-mail today.

June 28, 2002

Dear Fellow American,

We need you to forward this e-mail to EVERYONE YOU KNOW right away!

As you've surely heard by now, a radical left-wing federal appeals court ruled
    on Wednesday that reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools is
    unconstitutional... because it includes the words, "under God"!

The San Francisco court ruled that the phrase amounts to a government
    endorsement of religion in violation of the Constitution's Establishment Clause,
    which prohibits the government from establishing religion.

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS... but we CAN do something about it!

Rep. Ernest Istook (R-OK) has introduced the Religious Freedom Restoration
    Amendment (H.J. RES. 81), to amend the Constitution of the United States to
    allow expressions of religious freedom on public property... including the right
    to say the Pledge of Allegiance. In fact, if this amendment had already been in
    place, that appeals court wouldn't have even had the opportunity to make such a
    decision, one that President Bush immediately called "ridiculous". CLICK BELOW
    NOW to send a message to your Congressmen, urging them to support H.J. RES. 81:

http://www.conservativealerts.com/062702.htm

<a href="http://www.conservativealerts.com/062702.htm">AOL users click here</a>

Istook has stated that that this new ruling is just another reason Congress
    should approve his amendment, because it protects the Pledge of Allegiance as
    well as protecting voluntary student prayer.

"I'm appalled, but not surprised," said Istook. "The First Amendment was
    designed to protect religious freedom, but wayward judges like these misuse it
    to attack religion. Bit-by-bit, the ACLU and its sympathizers are winning their
    36-year fight against America's religious freedoms and religious heritage. Only
    a constitutional amendment, such as I've proposed, will stop them."

"Sure, some people are intolerant," Istook noted; "they object to hearing God
    mentioned at a school or public place, but that doesn't give them the right to
    censor the rest of us. This ruling shows just how out-of-touch too many judges
    are, and how they've turned common-sense upside-down. Don't mandate prayer or
    religious messages, but for heaven's sake don't ban them either!"

Rep. Istook's proposed amendment was introduced in the House of Representatives
    back in January... but it hasn't even been introduced in the Senate yet! NOW is
    the time to get the House AND the Senate to MOVE on this bill, and YOU can get
    them moving!

ConservativeAlerts.com has set up a website where you can send a pre-written
    message (that you can modify) IMMEDIATELY to your Congressmen, urging them to
    support H.J. RES. 81, the First Amendment Restoration Act. You can send an
    e-mail for FREE, print out your letter and fax or mail it in, or even send an
    inexpensive "Extra Impact" HAND DELIVERY letter -- CLICK BELOW NOW:

http://www.conservativealerts.com/062702.htm

<a href="http://www.conservativealerts.com/062702.htm">AOL users click here</a>

NOTE: Be sure to forward this e-mail to EVERYONE YOU KNOW right away -- this
    proposed amendment still hasn't been introduced in the Senate yet, so we need to
    act FAST, with LOTS of people demanding action against this radical leftist
    court ruling NOW. Thank you!

****************************TO ADVERTISE**********************************
    For information on advertising at NewsMax.com please contact Julie Greenberg at
    [email protected].

****************************TO SUBSCRIBE**********************************
    If this News Alert has been forwarded to you and you would like a subscription,
    please visit http://NewsMax.com/email.shtml

<a href="http://NewsMax.com/email.shtml">AOL users click here</a>

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

*delete*

i hate this crap, they just wanna take out "under God" i dont' see the big deal....restoring the pledge to it's original version sounds reasonable to me.

• tdogg
    tdogg
    radical left-wing federal appeals court

Oh NO! Everyone run!! Those damn radicals! Screw the poor and hungery! We must save those two precious words in the pledge!

*DELETE*

*DELETE*

*DELETE*

(3 times for emphasis)

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

who cares

who cares

who cares

bible thumpers should cool it

athiests should drop it

have some mary jane

'i must've been drinkin' 'cause this aint pot'

ashi

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

Down with the Queen!

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Once again, I see extremists on both sides making a big issue out of a non-issue. "God" is a generic title that could apply to who we know as Jehovah, or Buddha, Mohhamed, or even the Great Pumpkin and any other myriad of gods. Thanks to the dubs, no one is forced to recite the pledge in schools and that is at it should be.

But, there are even more important ramifications to this decision, if it stands. Could the same atheist have all the American money recalled because it also says in God we trust? How far does the public have to lean to satisfy one individual?

Every aspect of this is so ridiculous. With all the problems facing man today, the big issue is two generic words in a simple pledge. Leaving them in or taking them out will not accomplish anything at all, just satisfy the selfish whims of one man. If he chooses to not believe in God, so what? Must society bend to his whims, so he feels vindicated? Should Churches be hidden underground so as to not offend nonbelievers? Should atheism be outlawed so Christians aren't offended?

Good God people, wake up! It's called simple tolerance. Atheism doesn't bother me a bit, that is his right. Any other belief doesn't bother me either, not until it starts infringing upon my rights, then I take a personal stand. But, to demand all of society bend over backwards just to satify my whims is just plain ridiculous.

To both sides on this issue, why not find something really important to argue over?

Lew W.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Naebs- just what do you mean by "Down with the Queen"???? HeeHee

( I think that would be considered conduct unbecoming of the Queen)

~XW

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

OH GOD IN HEAVEN...PLEASE DELETE THIS!!

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

I object to your use of the words God and Heaven. Please delete them and we will consider your request.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I'll have you know my four (4) fathers died JUST so I could use God and Heaven in the same sentance!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit