The "routine", The failure

by Pathofthorns 27 Replies latest jw friends

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I remember the same things growing up as a JW. What made it worse was that there were no other JW young people close enough for me to associate with them.

I saw them at the Hall, but they lived a good distance away, so I was pretty much alone most of the time.

My teachers were appalled that I would not even consider college. I took a competitive scholarship test for a business school....more or less as a lark....and I won.

Most young people would be thrilled. I burst into tears. I felt SO guilty that I had even entertained the thought of getting additional education--even though it was a business school.

The elders grudgingly allowed (yes, I felt I had to get their approval to attend) me to utilize the scholarship. The school was fairly close so I wouldn't have to live in a dorm (they were adamant about THAT point), and they concluded that since it would be preparing me for a job where I could work part-time and pioneer, it would be all right to postpone my pioneering for a year.

When I think of that, it makes me feel ill.

• marion_nett
    marion_nett

Katchoo -
    I can relate to what you said earlier about it "never being good enough." I learned the Truth at 18 and took to it like gangbusters - passing on all my college plans to pioneer. So, it wasn't till I hit 30 or so that I realized maybe I regretted passing on the college in my haste. I still crave it, but at 50 haven't either the time or money. It's not for career - just personal satisfaction. I don't regret the pioneer years. I was a very shy person and the Truth and pioneering pulled me out of that, and I have some wonderful memories. We have an elder in our cong. who is about my age, and actually got his college education right out of high school - while pioneering. Said it wasn't without its share of disapproving stares and comments, but he did it anyway. He's one of our most approachable, open-minded elders. Maybe because he was somewhat of a maverick in his youth ... Anyway, I can relate.

• katchoo
    katchoo

hey marion-
    I am in college now, adn let me tell you it is not too late. There is a lady that goes to school with me who is in her late sixties. She says she never was allowed to go because he got married very young, but since her husband passed away she has decided to go on and get her education. She was in a few of my classes last semester, and she was doing fine.
    If it's what you want to do, they have financial aid (I get free college from Uncle Sam because of my income on my tax returns) and they even have programs where you can go to one class a week and still get your degree.

Check it out. They have these programs in a lot of places now. It's not too late. And since you are online already, you already know about computers, which is usually the hardest thing for older students to pick up.

It's never too late. :)
    --B.

• Think
    Think

NOBODY CAN DO IT !!!

THAT IS WHY MILLIONS LEFT THE CULT !

THE NEW ONES COMING LEAVE EVEN QUICKER !

• JT
    JT

Anybody remember that Watchtower study in which we were taught not to say: "The Society said this, the Society teaches us that....."

Instead we were supposed to say: "The Bible says this, the Bible teaches us that...."

Here you go:

*** w98 3/15 pp. 18-19 Living Up to Christian Dedication in Freedom ***

3 Someone may argue that the way the Witnesses speak about the Watch Tower Society—or more often just “the Society”—indicates that they view it as more than a legal instrument. Do they not consider it to be the final authority on matters of worship? The book Jehovah’s Witnesses—Proclaimers of God’s Kingdom clarifies this point by explaining: “When The Watchtower [June 1, 1938] referred to ‘The Society,’ this meant, not a mere legal instrumentality, but the body of anointed Christians that had formed that legal entity and used it.” The expression therefore stood for “the faithful and discreet slave.” (Matthew 24:45) It is in this sense that the Witnesses generally used the term “the Society.” Of course, the legal corporation and “the faithful and discreet slave” are not interchangeable terms. Directors of the Watch Tower Society are elected, whereas Witnesses who make up ‘the faithful slave’ are anointed by Jehovah’s holy spirit.

4 In order to avoid misunderstandings, Jehovah’s Witnesses try to be careful about how they express themselves. Instead of saying, “the Society teaches,” many Witnesses prefer to use such expressions as, “the Bible says” or, “I understand the Bible to teach.” In this way they emphasize the personal decision that each Witness has made in accepting Bible teachings and also avoid giving the false impression that Witnesses are somehow bound to the dictates of some religious sect.

• JT
    JT

Instead of saying, “the Society teaches,” many Witnesses prefer to use such expressions as, “the Bible says” or, “I understand the Bible to teach.”

If you were to follow the wt new directives think of how silly it would sound

The Society says that there are some blood fractions we can take as jw and others we can't

--so The Society used to say that such a person will be DF, but now the society says they will be DAed..

at least with the above a jw could show you page and paragraph from the wt that says the above

The Bible says that there are some blood fractions we can take as jw and others we can't -

so so The Bible used to say that such a person will be DF, but now the bible says they will be DAed..

problem here is no jw can show you this from the bible

My understanding of the bible is that it says that there are some blood fractions we can take as jw and others we can't

so according to My understanding of the bible such a person will be DF, but now according to My understanding of the bible it says they will be DAed..

problem here is the person is given "MY" or his personal opinion of what he thinks the bible says or means, which carries no more weight than what Leroy up the street says, since the jw can't take you to the bible and show you the approved list and unapproved list

• Scully
    Scully
    *** w98 3/15 pp. 18-19 Living Up to Christian Dedication in Freedom ***

Someone may argue that the way the Witnesses speak about the Watch Tower Society—or more often just “the Society”—indicates that they view it as more than a legal instrument. Do they not consider it to be the final authority on matters of worship? The book Jehovah’s Witnesses—Proclaimers of God’s Kingdom clarifies this point by explaining: “When The Watchtower [June 1, 1938] referred to ‘The Society,’ this meant, not a mere legal instrumentality, but the body of anointed Christians that had formed that legal entity and used it.” The expression therefore stood for “the faithful and discreet slave.” (Matthew 24:45) It is in this sense that the Witnesses generally used the term “the Society.” Of course, the legal corporation and “the faithful and discreet slave” are not interchangeable terms. Directors of the Watch Tower Society are elected, whereas Witnesses who make up ‘the faithful slave’ are anointed by Jehovah’s holy spirit.

In order to avoid misunderstandings, Jehovah’s Witnesses try to be careful about how they express themselves. Instead of saying, “the Society teaches,” many Witnesses prefer to use such expressions as, “the Bible says” or, “I understand the Bible to teach.” In this way they emphasize the personal decision that each Witness has made in accepting Bible teachings and also avoid giving the false impression that Witnesses are somehow bound to the dictates of some religious sect.

And when someone finds something in the Bible that is in conflict with what "the Society teaches", guess which one trumps the other?

"Why have Jehovah's Witnesses disfellowshiped for apostasy some who still profess belief in God, the Bible and Jesus Christ? Approved association with Jehovah's Witnesses requires accepting the entire range of the true teachings of the Bible, including those scriptural [and unscriptural] beliefs that are unique to Jehovah's Witnesses. What do such beliefs include? ...That 1914 marked the end of the Gentile Times and the establishment of the Kingdom of God in the heavens, as well as the time for Christ's foretold presence." (Watchtower, Question From Readers, April 1, 1986 pp 30-31)

This is a perfect example of Theocratic War Strategy™ in action.

The bottom line is: You can't be a Jehovah's Witness having "Approved association" if you do not agree with what "the Society teaches". That would mean that 'they are bound to the dictates of a religious sect,' wouldn't it?

• Think
    Think

Those idiots have no brain at all.

Full of s$%^^%&$##..

They are still on mission to convince everybody that shit is a chocolate and taste sooo goood !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit